Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?

Old 04-09-2018, 05:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I put the factory seat back in to try to reset the airbag light and that seems to have worked. However, my factory seat no longer adjusts front to back (this extended warranty seems to be paying for itself already). They are also going to try to get an ohm reading for me so we can put to bed this resistor issue.

Part of me thinks that maybe when I plugged the resistor in and it did not connect correctly the computer saw that and would not reset even after being plugged in correctly. Another part of me thinks that makes no sense because it is plugged in correctly now to the factory wiring and the light stays off.

UPDATE: so the factory seat needs a new motor which should be covered under warranty. My tech is going to try to see the resistance on the wires going into the floor, but thinks you need to check the wires going into the airbag itself on the seat, but is afraid to do that since he thinks it very well could set off the airbag.

Has anyone actually checked the resistance and what did you hook up to so you don't set off the airbag light?
Old 04-10-2018, 11:56 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

My service department is working on warrantying the factory seat. Just one motor went bad, but they only sell it as an entire seat and it is $5,000!!??!!

If they do warranty the seat and do not want back the original I think we can go ahead and get an ohm reading on the original seat without having to worry about popping the side airbag. My tech tried to check the resistance on the plug going into the floor, but it just shows an open circuit. Are you guys tapping into the plugged in yellow wires to get a reading?
Old 04-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Back when I had my ‘04, it was cheaper to go get a seat from the wrecker than order a replacement motor.... but 5k is crazy.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:50 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Nico-derm
Back when I had my ‘04, it was cheaper to go get a seat from the wrecker than order a replacement motor.... but 5k is crazy.
My extended warranty is covering the entire seat and I just found out it is $5,900 without labor.

THANKS ZURICH!!
Old 04-13-2018, 03:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The replacement OEM seat came in and it is just the bottom cushion with the motors. No seat back or electronics. $5,600!?! Maybe it will be comfortable now with new padding.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:50 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Do you get to keep the original? Would you sell it? I have been trying to find a cushion set for my car.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:27 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
Do you get to keep the original? Would you sell it? I have been trying to find a cushion set for my car.
I believe I do get to keep it and it should still have the rails, motors and plugs. I think they have to transfer over the base with the controls and the electronics. I would sell it if you want it and for a lot less than the $5,600 it costs to replace it. Isn't that nuts? $5,600???

Anyway, I was really hoping it was the entire seat so we could test the ohms running through the side airbag wires without fear of setting off the side airbag.

I have asked a few times before, but no one has responded so I am guessing no one has actually done this: HOW DO YOU TEST THE SIDE AIR BAG OHMS WITHOUT SETTING OFF THE AIRBAG???
Old 04-18-2018, 07:14 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Yeah that price is INSANE, but i'm not surprised. When my Acura got totaled they gave me an estimate packet and the seats alone totaled the car. It was like $10k.

Why would testing the side airbag set it off? If you unplug it from the car's harness and use your multimeter its impossible to set it off. There is no voltage.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:41 AM
louith
Registered Member

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts
Has anybody lost power to their power mirrors after seat install? My power mirrors wont move after i installed my aftermarket seats
Old 04-19-2018, 05:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yeah that price is INSANE, but i'm not surprised. When my Acura got totaled they gave me an estimate packet and the seats alone totaled the car. It was like $10k.
The crazy thing is that the new seat bottom did not fix the issue. They thought it was due to a $300 switch in the seat, but that came in today and also did not fix the issue.

Why would testing the side airbag set it off? If you unplug it from the car's harness and use your multimeter its impossible to set it off. There is no voltage.
I thought the same thing, but every technician I talked to at Infiniti and Nissan seems to think there is a chance that the volt meter could introduce a very small amount of voltage causing the air bag to pop. It probably would not happen, but it is a big risk to take now knowing how much just the bottom cushion costs. Since no one on this site seems to have actually done this I really do not want to take the chance. No one can even figure out the right ohm for me to get rid of the airbag light.

Originally Posted by louith
Has anybody lost power to their power mirrors after seat install? My power mirrors wont move after i installed my aftermarket seats
Yes. Supposedly, you need to plug in the main wiring harness from under the seat. However, when I plugged the wiring harness directly into the wires in the floor it put my car into a limp mode that did not allow it to start. 2GorNot2G got a wiring harness from another G and claims it works, but I don't know anyone who actually got the factory wiring harness to work with an aftermarket seat. I think it might work if you unplug everything else from the wiring harness and use the original plug, but I have yet to try it.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:57 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAklUlvAIrs

A multi-meter does in fact pass a small amount of current through the circuit in order to measure the resistance of the circuit. It will use the final measured voltage after it passes through the circuit and then apply Ohm's Law to calculate the actual resistance in the circuit.

That said, I don't think that its enough to trigger the air bag circuit but I would always still take precautions any time you work with an active air bag. I myself used a multi-meter to check the resistance of my front seat air bag without any issues.

Edit: Just read 4DRZ response so figured I'd add this... Both of my OEM air bags measured between 2 and 2.2 ohms.

Originally Posted by louith

Yes, this is correct. You will need to keep the seat/mirror memory module hooked up to the car using the OEM driver's seat wiring harness. This is the white box that's attached to the bottom side of the OEM driver's seat. Without this module connected your side view mirrors won't have power.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (04-20-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I did get to keep the seat and would sell it. Let me know what you think is fair if you are interested.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
That said, I don't think that its enough to trigger the air bag circuit but I would always still take precautions any time you work with an active air bag. I myself used a multi-meter to check the resistance of my front seat air bag without any issues.
How did you measure the resistance in the airbag sensor? Did you just unplug it and put the probes into the plug on the seat side? Could you still measure it with the seat out of the car (to minimize the chance of setting off the airbag)?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:31 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
The seat/air bag definitely needs to be disconnected (and preferably removed) from the car before taking your measurement otherwise you'll be measuring the resistance of the entire circuit and not just the air bag. I would also leave it disconnected from the car for at least a half hour or more just to give any capacitors in the air bag circuit time to discharge. In order to take a resistance measurement you just need to measure the resistance across the two contact prongs on the yellow air bag connector on the bottom of the seat.

The video iCrap posted a few days ago might be helpful if you haven't used a multi-meter to measure resistance before.

As I mentioned before... Always make sure you use extreme caution when handling any operation/intact air bag assembly.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
The seat/air bag definitely needs to be disconnected (and preferably removed) from the car before taking your measurement otherwise you'll be measuring the resistance of the entire circuit and not just the air bag. I would also leave it disconnected from the car for at least a half hour or more just to give any capacitors in the air bag circuit time to discharge. In order to take a resistance measurement you just need to measure the resistance across the two contact prongs on the yellow air bag connector on the bottom of the seat.

The video iCrap posted a few days ago might be helpful if you haven't used a multi-meter to measure resistance before.

As I mentioned before... Always make sure you use extreme caution when handling any operation/intact air bag assembly.
Good advice. Thanks man!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?