Picture Share G Coupe Th ultimate forum to view and post high definition pictures of your G Coupe.

Magden Computer for G37

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 04:06 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 ^
Old 09-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bboysteele
Any update on this? Ampd, are you going to be posting a thread in the Vendor section for this sale?
thanks for the reminder bboy. Now posted on the vendor section.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Serbiasrt8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
///

Will the Ipod/DC/Radio/XM still be able to play at the same time this gadget is on?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:29 PM
gmlee86
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm guessing no since it uses the AUX input if you want to watch the gauges (given that you have the nav hack), but if you just want it to data log, then I'm sure you can still listen to your music
Old 09-14-2008, 05:22 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So Magden or Magnus, what is the difference between the M.1b and the M.1+? What functionality does it have over the 1b since it cost more? I ordered the M.1b which sucks if this M.1+ has more features that will be useful to me down the road.

http://www.magden-auto.com/products/1

http://www.magden-auto.com/products/2
Old 09-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So Magden or Magnus, what is the difference between the M.1b and the M.1+? What functionality does it have over the 1b since it cost more? I ordered the M.1b which sucks if this M.1+ has more features that will be useful to me down the road.

My understanding was 1+ will have an option of adding additional harness for more sensors like EGT,oil presure sensor, boost gauge or any other sensors you might like to use if you going forced induction. The 1b is capable of upgrading to the later. You will be able to buy the expansion card once available
Old 09-14-2008, 07:39 PM
magnus

The M.1+ is an M.1b with 16 additional A/D channels. There is no performance difference between the two models apart from that.

The extra channels can be used to read additional sensors such as boost, oil pressure, oil temperature, lambda, turbo speed, etc.

The M.1b can be upgraded to M.1+ if it is sent to us. The upgrade consists of installing an extra circuit board and an a connector into the existing case. Since there is a lot of hardware development involved here, it will be a couple of months until we release the M.1+.

For people who do not want to wait that long, we are wrapping up the development of our Zeitronix Zt-2 integration (link), which will offer the following 6 channels:

1) Digital counter
Can be used to read speed, rpm, turbo speed or supercharger speed using an inductive sensor, hal effect sensor or any 12v square signal.

2) Wideband oxygen sensor (included in the Zt2).
Can be tied to one of the four lambda channels in the M.1.

3) Exhaust gas temperature (thermal probe not included).

4) Pressure channel 1
Can be connected to a Kavlico 0-3.5 bar vacuum/pressure sensor, a kavlico 0-5 bar vacuum/pressure sensor, or a Kavlico 1-10 bar pressure sensor.
The 0-3.5 and 0-5 bar sensors can be used to read vacuum/boost, pre-intercooler pressure and post-intercooler pressure
The 10 bar sensor can be used to measure oil pressure, fuel pressure, water pressure or crank case pressure.

5) Pressure channel 2
Can be connected to a (second) Kavlico 1-10 bar pressure sensor to read additional fluid or gas temp.

6) Temperature channel.
Can be connected to a Bosch 039 or 026 gas or fluid temperature sensor. These sensors can then be tied to one of the following channels.
Water temp, oil temp, diffirential temp, gear box temp, fuel temp, intake air temp, ambient air temp, pre intercooler temp or post intercooler temp.

Please note that all channels above will be mixed into the existing stream of channels reported by the ECU, and that you can display and log this mix in any combination.

You will also be able to connect several Zt-2 boxes to a single M.1b in order to multiply your sensor channels. It is unknown how many we will support since we haven't tested it yet, but two or three should not be a problem.

The status of the development work is that we are finished with the coding and sensor calibration, and will start testing on a mule during next week. We should be able to take orders within 2-3 weeks.

We will sell the Zt-2 box bundled with a USB dongle to connect to the M.1b, and a wiring harness. We will also sell the sensors. Pricing is to be determined, but the Zt-2 today is sold by Zeitronix for $279 with a wideband oxygen sensor. We will add the dongle and the wiring harness to that price.

Just to be clear, you can buy this package as an upgrade to your existing M.1b, the new software release (1.1.0) which will be available as a free download supports the Zt-2.

A screenshot of the A/D configuration dialog is attached. The top "device" field is used to select which of multiple attached devices to configure.

/Magnus F.

PS. The 1.1.0 will also support the Innovate LC1 wideband oxygen sensor box for those of you who just want add extra O2 sensors.
Attached Thumbnails Magden Computer for G37-config.jpg  
Old 09-14-2008, 08:02 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

That is good to know that it is upgradeable. I need to find out from Cobb what they need logged so they can create a custom map. I plan to go FI in the future so that is one thing I thought I saw on the 1+. I thought the 1b had the ability to log oil temp. Does it not? Pressure I can see it not doing but I thought temp was covered.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:31 PM
magnus

That is good to know that it is upgradeable. I need to find out from Cobb what they need logged so they can create a custom map. I plan to go FI in the future so that is one thing I thought I saw on the 1+. I thought the 1b had the ability to log oil temp. Does it not? Pressure I can see it not doing but I thought temp was covered.
The M.1b will log and oil temp if this channel is reported by the ECU. The G37 however does not transmit this data (however you do get engine coolant temp).

You can view the Zt-2 upgrade as a way to fill in any holes that the stock ECU has in its data stream. This becomes more and more crucial the more you stress your engine.

< Start of Ranting Lecture >

For example, a stock V engine is quite happy with a single lambda sensor located after the two exhaust manifolds merge. (I'll ignore the secondary post catalytic converter sensor here).

As you start to increase compression (through forced induction for example), it becomes more important to avoid knock due to lean running conditions. If you add two separate oxygen senors, one in each exhaust manifold, you can see if one bank is running rich while the other runs lean; a situation that will fool the single stock sensor that reads the mixed exhaust from both banks.

Exhaust gas temp sensors can be used on one or more cylinders to see if you have cooling issues on individual pots. This is surprisingly common even in stock engines.

Another performance thief, especially in a forced induction setup, and possible knock source, is intake air temp, which starts to rob serious horsepower above 75 deg C (167F). An intercooler hooked up post turbo will lower the temperature, but by how much? A pre and post intercooler temp sensor allows you to experiment with ducts and get hard numbers on the results.

A maxed out fuel pump poses a huge risk for a lean condition which can be hard to pinpoint. (I had this on my Caterham 7). At wide open throttle in high RPM range, you suddenly start to lose pressure which leads to lean conditions. Even if you can see this (on the AFR), and try to compensate by increasing the injector duty cycle you will only, to use the phrase of the week, put lipstick on a pig. Not to mention that injectors have been known to be locked in open position when they reach 100% cycle, with a fuel-hydraulic lock and ruined engine as a result. (You also get crappier atomization as the pressure sinks, but that is mostly a low/mid range issue.)
Solution: Fuel pressure sensor. It's the first thing I look at when I have stoichiometric issues with my Seven.

I have a bizarre amount of sensors on my Seven, and plan to add more. It can really save your engine and eases fault searching by a magnitude.

< /End Of Ranting Lecture >

/Magnus F.

Last edited by magnus; 09-14-2008 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Bahoni
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Can we use our touchscreen with this? I know that M1.b supports touchscreens but do we have that usb connection on our cars I wonder. How do we find out this information? Any ideas? I want to purchase this product if I can use my own touchscreen.Finally can we connect it directly into screen somehow, instead of using Aux port in the center console so we can listen to our music, Ipod etc. at the sametime.

Last edited by Bahoni; 09-19-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:44 PM
magnus

Originally Posted by Bahoni
Can we use our touchscreen with this? I know that M1.b supports touchscreens but do we have that usb connection on our cars I wonder. How do we find out this information? Any ideas?
The unit in the G37 does not allow us to use its touchscreen.

If you prefer touchscreen interaction, you need a display from Xenarc, lilliput or other manufacturers of car pc screens. Please note that some of these screens actually have a built in DVD player and tuner, effectively replacing the existing head unit.

/Magnus F.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:06 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Bringing this one back from the dead.

Hey Lou. You still able to get these or have any available? I know Magden stopped making them, but would love to get my hands on one. If not, then I'm probably going to go with the HKS Camp 2 system.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Bringing this one back from the dead.

Hey Lou. You still able to get these or have any available? I know Magden stopped making them, but would love to get my hands on one. If not, then I'm probably going to go with the HKS Camp 2 system.
i heard if there was enough interests Magden might consider making it.