Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

The G37S is a great track car

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 09:12 AM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I would plug it in and it would start charging in my car with the electronics on, but when I came back it would have stopped charging and still say low battery.
Have you checked the USB cable? I had a cable that the plug was going bad and it would start, but any movement (ie, put it down) and it would stop charging.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:59 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Splitter
Have you checked the USB cable? I had a cable that the plug was going bad and it would start, but any movement (ie, put it down) and it would stop charging.
Yes, it is the same cable that came with the Go Pro that worked fine at home so I am not sure what was up with that.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:27 PM
Splitter

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Here's hoping.
Just got a call from work. The job is looking like 4am Friday morning through to about midday. I'm out.

The world is conspiring against me going racing. That's 3 events in a row now that ****s gone wrong and gotten in the way.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:20 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Bummer, dude. Maybe next time.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:48 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Is anyone doing the Lamers Charity track day at Road America on May 30th? Looks like fun.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:41 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
While I do have quite a few amazing tracks here in California, I wish ya'll weren't so far away, I'd like to join. It's 1,400 miles to COTA and 2,100 miles to Road America lol.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:10 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

But your tracks are cheap! A decade ago, I priced track rental for a car club. Lime Rock, Road Atlanta and Barber were all $14k or more. Texas World Speedway and Motorsports Ranch Cresson (near Dallas) were about $9k while Streets of Willow was $6k. This was for a Friday session. I didn't try Sears Point or Laguna Seca, bet they were pricey.

I liked both Streets and Buttonwillow. Haven't tried any of the others out that way. Laguna Seca and Thunderhill look challenging.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:12 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Laguna Seca is around $25k/day and Sonoma is even worse at around $45k. But Streets is definitely the cheapest, at least if you're only running Streets.

I've done Laguna Seca and Thunderhill East, and you'd love it for our cars. Laguna is definitely a power track despite it's technicality due to the hills, and Thunderhill is a lot of mid-length sweepers our cars are good at, since there aren't too many transitions. Still have yet to do Sonoma due to price, but I will one day.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bPChaos
While I do have quite a few amazing tracks here in California, I wish ya'll weren't so far away, I'd like to join. It's 1,400 miles to COTA and 2,100 miles to Road America lol.
You guys do have some nice tracks. We only have a few decent ones here. The furthest I have ever driven is a little over 600 miles to Mosport outside Toronto so I don't blame you.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:55 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

For you Facebookers, you can see a few photos of me at MSR Houston by looking for the Driven n Blessed page. There's one in which I appear to almost lift the inside front off the ground.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:09 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I have another track day at Road America on April 30th so I figured I would order some more track brake pads and finally get the Z1 slotted 2pc. rotors for the front. My rotor decision was sped up by the fact that the last track day at Road America did cause some small surface cracks you can see below.

Spencer at Z1 talked me into trying out the Carbotech XP12 pads up front and XP10's in back. It looks like they go up to a little higher temp than my Hawk DTC-60's and I like the fact they claim to be easier on rotors. They are supposed to last longer too, but I tried Carbotech on my WRX years ago and they were easier on rotors, but they crumbled and wore really quickly. Hopefully they have changed. Anyone else running Carbotechs?

Old 05-18-2018, 04:23 PM
Splitter

The tell tale sign of working the breaks hard!! They are toast mate.

I run the carbotechs and have been very happy. XP10/8 f/r but will definitely be going up a range when these wear out, the pedal starts to get long at the end of session on hot days. I got them second hand and didn't get a choice, but really should have just gone the 12/10 combo to start with, especially for how heavy these cars are.

They work great though, I've been super happy, but they bite super hard (great on track, not on the street), squeal like a pig and dust up like mad. Definitely not a daily driver pad. Wear life has been great. I'm about 50% down after 5-6 track days, so you'll get plenty of laps out of them.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:14 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Alright, 4DRZ! You're going to really like the 2pc rotors. They feel much lighter than stock.

Won't be able to go to RA on the 30th. The tragedy of a desk jockey's life is office imprisonment M - F.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Splitter
The tell tale sign of working the breaks hard!! They are toast mate.

I run the carbotechs and have been very happy. XP10/8 f/r but will definitely be going up a range when these wear out, the pedal starts to get long at the end of session on hot days. I got them second hand and didn't get a choice, but really should have just gone the 12/10 combo to start with, especially for how heavy these cars are.

They work great though, I've been super happy, but they bite super hard (great on track, not on the street), squeal like a pig and dust up like mad. Definitely not a daily driver pad. Wear life has been great. I'm about 50% down after 5-6 track days, so you'll get plenty of laps out of them.
The rotors are definitely getting close to the end. I actually had a set of DBA slotted rotors crack in half through one side at RA on my WRX because 12" rotors were just too small (even with brake ducts) and the rotors had seen a number of track days. I'll keep these as spares to drive home on in case I have another similar experience.

The Carbotechs are just for the track like my DTC-60's. You'd be mad to use them on the street for a daily driver. However, I am always surprised how long my stopping distances seem after I swap back to my street pads after a track day.

Originally Posted by FlashGuy
Alright, 4DRZ! You're going to really like the 2pc rotors. They feel much lighter than stock.

Won't be able to go to RA on the 30th. The tragedy of a desk jockey's life is office imprisonment M - F.
10lbs. off each side in rotating weight is huge, like cutting my wheels in half!

Take vacation. I just got lucky and Wed. happens to be my day off.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:15 AM
Splitter

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The Carbotechs are just for the track like my DTC-60's. You'd be mad to use them on the street for a daily driver.
I'd agree with you, but it took me 6 months to get around to changing pads after my last track day, so, you know, just a heads up

Quick Reply: The G37S is a great track car