Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

The G37S is a great track car

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 09:44 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Splitter
Tomorrow I attempt to install ARP extended wheel studs and chop the tops off my factory wheel nuts to make them fit
I have extended studs... they were a pain to get out and I ended up going to a shop to have them pressed out. If you can whack them out with a hammer, it's actually a fairly simple job. Best of luck, lol.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:13 PM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bPChaos
If you can whack them out with a hammer, it's actually a fairly simple job. Best of luck, lol.
That's my plan, I'm not expecting any upsets along the way, but we'll see.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Mishimoto
Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all having an excellent day. I saw Mishimoto being mentioned in this thread and figured I would chime in.

While I completely understand how a company named Mishimoto could be considered or overlooked as " a made-in-taiwan or china brand" , We are actually a US based company with our headquarters in New Castle, Delaware. All of our products are engineered, designed, and tested here at our facility.

Also, Mishimoto products as a whole have a less then 1% failure rating. If you were to have an issue with your product, we back up every single item we make with a lifetime warranty.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please reach out to us directly and we would be happy to assist you. We can be reached by phone at 302.762.4501. or by email at support@mishimoto.com

Thank you,
-Jake
Mishimoto
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I am planning to order one of your radiators in the next month or two.

I really need to hit the track again - but I'm conflicted. Should I continue to track this car? Or should I buy another and relegate this to not-track car? Obviously, Miata, E30 or S2000 comes to mind, but hey, I like being the only G37 at a track most times.
Ah, the million dollar question. I have gone both ways on this a few times and I usually try to simplify my life so I have always found it better to have one car that serves multiple purposes. For me doing occasional track days, this is the best fit. If I were looking to do tons of track days and worried about wrecking the car or was wheel to wheel racing, then I would look elsewhere.

The fact that my G37S sedan has basically the same engine, transmission, suspension, chassis, brakes, etc. as the 370Z means it has track potential while being a total sleeper. I was guessing on it's potential initially just based on the parts list before I bought mine and drove it for the 1st time on the same day. Clearly by my initial posts when I created this thread this car definitely is capable on track. Like most street cars, it does need a few mods (especially with cooling), but they are cheap mods compared to starting out with a more dedicated track/street car like a new M3, ATS-V, Gulia Quadrifoglio, etc. (Not that I don't still look for all 3 of these on the used car market regularly.) No big complaints with this car so far and it may be one of the cars I keep a lot longer than usual.

I have extended studs... they were a pain to get out and I ended up going to a shop to have them pressed out. If you can whack them out with a hammer, it's actually a fairly simple job. Best of luck, lol.
Good luck with the wheel studs. They can be a PITA sometimes. I had no luck trying to get my hubs off to install my brake ducts- even with advice from Z1. Talked to one of my guys in the shop and he recommended hitting them from the back at an angle and they popped out relatively easily.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:56 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mishimoto
Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all having an excellent day. I saw Mishimoto being mentioned in this thread and figured I would chime in.

While I completely understand how a company named Mishimoto could be considered or overlooked as " a made-in-taiwan or china brand" , We are actually a US based company with our headquarters in New Castle, Delaware. All of our products are engineered, designed, and tested here at our facility.

Also, Mishimoto products as a whole have a less then 1% failure rating. If you were to have an issue with your product, we back up every single item we make with a lifetime warranty.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please reach out to us directly and we would be happy to assist you. We can be reached by phone at 302.762.4501. or by email at support@mishimoto.com

Thank you,
-Jake
Mishimoto
Do you have any results of this radiator on a G37 or 370Z showing the drop in coolant temp vs. stock?

I live in WI where it gets very hot & humid in the summer and below 0 degrees in the winter. Does a radiator like this that improves cooling become an issue by cooling too much in the winter once the engine warms up and the thermostat eventually opens?
Old 08-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Slartibartfast leading the gold run group here at MSR Houston on a very slick surface.

My cheap slick r comps now seem like less of a good idea than when I bought them.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:20 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Could be wrong, but his back passenger looks like it's down.

Slarti throwing it down!
Old 08-03-2017, 01:52 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks to those of you guys who came out to the Driven and Blessed event today! I hope you guys enjoyed it, despite the weather.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:48 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I enjoyed blasting through the water. Brakes worked fine, engine worked fine, tires worked fine, 7AT needs help. While in manual mode, it made several uncommanded upshifts and ignored several dowshift commands from the paddle.

And thank the gods for DSC. I would have been out plowing the back 40 without it. Still managed a lurid 4-wheel drift. Also learned DSC is silent when sliding the front tires or all four.

Thanks to whoever posted the event info.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Wow, looks like you had fun swimming with your car on that track!
Old 08-04-2017, 01:41 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I enjoyed blasting through the water. Brakes worked fine, engine worked fine, tires worked fine, 7AT needs help. While in manual mode, it made several uncommanded upshifts and ignored several dowshift commands from the paddle.

And thank the gods for DSC. I would have been out plowing the back 40 without it. Still managed a lurid 4-wheel drift. Also learned DSC is silent when sliding the front tires or all four.

Thanks to whoever posted the event info.
Hope to see you out there again, Bruce! Glad to have parked next to a track driven G!

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Wow, looks like you had fun swimming with your car on that track!
Man first two or three sessions was really wet! I didn't think the rain would let up. Last few sessions dried up enough for everyone to enjoy the track.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by xmajd92
Man first two or three sessions was really wet! I didn't think the rain would let up. Last few sessions dried up enough for everyone to enjoy the track.
Good to hear that it eventually dried up. Then again, you can learn a lot about how your car handles at the limit in the rain. I think one of the reasons I can drive consistently on the limit is that I spent many winters sideways exploring vehicle dynamics at and beyond the limit. Fun times!
Old 08-04-2017, 04:20 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

My rear windows were down, fronts cracked. Too much water blowing in with fronts down, I hoped the rear seats wouldn't get too wet. It was so danged humid I couldn't close all the windows without the windshield starting to fog.

It was nice to meet splitter and xmajd. I sure looked slow! I was doing almost eighty at the end of the front straight, though...

Michelin PSS and soft suspension for the (wet) win!
Old 08-04-2017, 07:03 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
That looks like a lot of fun, the PSS are awesome in the wet aren't they? Any in-car video?

I really want to do a wet track day. It's just so different, and can teach you so much about vehicle limits. But of course, being in California, it's a unique problem to have.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:56 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Sorry, no video from me. There were cars with cameras, maybe xmajd92 can contact one of those drivers from the facebook page.

My biggest lesson was that DSC and traction control will make even the most ham-fisted driver look good. Thankfully, those electronics don't get hot and fade.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:15 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Sorry, no video from me. There were cars with cameras, maybe xmajd92 can contact one of those drivers from the facebook page.

My biggest lesson was that DSC and traction control will make even the most ham-fisted driver look good. Thankfully, those electronics don't get hot and fade.
I don't think vids were taken of the actual sessions.

Quick Reply: The G37S is a great track car