Notices
Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

My Stillen Gen3/R2c dyno comparisons

Old 09-27-2010, 01:45 AM
  #61  
TheLocNar
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
TheLocNar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicagoish
Posts: 2,247
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkHR37S View Post
So R2c should be a good enough intake for me! Thanks man^ great info. R2C seems really good.
They are really good... Both the Stillen and R2c are tops in their own rights... Stillen for the longtube CAIs, and R2c for the short rams...
TheLocNar is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 01:46 AM
  #62  
TheLocNar
Registered User
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
TheLocNar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicagoish
Posts: 2,247
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Kverd88 View Post
No problem man.. Either intake is a great choice.. And I'd always recommend a tune with either one you choose.

-And I forgot to mention, R2C has been making filters for military spec Hummers and other vehicles for many many years, so you know they can hold up to abuse. They use dry filters, easy to clean, just blow off with compressed air every 10K miles.

-Stillen uses oiled filters, which have to be taken apart, cleaned and reoiled everyone XXXK miles. (**not sure how often cause I don't own Stillen intake**).. Still a great intake; I'd recommend either one.
Stillen/K&N recommend every 50,000 miles. So realistically, you'd only be cleaning these filters once. R2c may have a similar interval... but of course, cleaning their filters is a lot easier.
TheLocNar is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 02:26 AM
  #63  
GraphiteG37S
Registered User
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Simi 805 - SoCal
Posts: 7,107
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
^ True, good point.

Didn't realize Stillen's interval was that long... That's a + for Stillen.
GraphiteG37S is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 AM
  #64  
Mysticalism
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 569
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC View Post
Depends on your goals. If you track, HP is #1 and you don't mind the install and maintance ... Stillen or Injen CAI ~18Hp post tune.

If it's a daily driver, you want sound and ~15Hp post tune, easy install, maintenance and superior filtering.. R2C, Takeda,Injen SRI.

That's my best guess since we've never seen a post tune comparison on intake only modded cars to my knowledge.
What do you mean about sound?

It seems like the hp difference is not that big, and im not tracking. I really want r2c but local community Gs all got stillen gen 3s and they are extremely happy with it and said that r2c is no matter how good they are, they are still short ram, not as good as a CAI
Mysticalism is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 04:32 AM
  #65  
advan37
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
advan37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: UAE
Posts: 425
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kverd88 View Post
My example is one case that may hold some water in testing the Stillen Gen3 vs R2C:
I and my friend Avo are both tuned with UpRev software, by the same tuner, on the same Dyno. We have similar mods that I think everyone here is familiar with. If anyone knows anything about UpRev tuning, they have yet to break the coding for VVEL timing adjustments and have yet to crack the speed governor for the 2008 G37 5AT (which Avo and I both have). Dyno's for UpRev tuning are based in 3rd gear before throwing 4th and reaching the governor causing the motor to bog down. According to my tuner, Seb at SpecialtyZ, the Stillen Gen3 did lean out the motor more than my R2C SRI due to differences in piping diameter and design. I believe, due to the Stillen's length and shape it creates a great velocity stack inside the intake piping. Both cars are now within proper A/F ratio after the tune.

My setup:
-R2C intakes
-Berk HFC
-Fast Intensions CF w/ 18" Resonated X-Pipe

Avo's setup:
-Stillen Gen3 intake
-Fast Intensions Resonated TP
-Fast Intensions CF w/ 18" Resonated X-Pipe

Result in 3rd gear:
My Car: 298whp
Avo's Car: 305whp

As you can see Avo did achieve a slight HP increase compared to my car.. But it was not as significant or exaggerated as the OP made it out to be.. Estimating the power curve my tuner was able to say we are both roughly making about 310-315whp in 4th gear, but due to the speed governor issue we were unable to dyno at that power. Avo's slight increase in power is both from the fact that he is running TP and Stillen Gen3, but a 7 HP difference is not enough to sway me to believe that one intake is far more superior than the other. Stillen does grab colder air due to its CAI design, but for a SRI the R2C must be given some credit for achieving similar numbers.



Thank you!!!!

I don't argue that Stillen creates more HP.... But it is not as exagerated as OP made it out to be.
Originally Posted by Kverd88 View Post
No problem man.. Either intake is a great choice.. And I'd always recommend a tune with either one you choose.

-And I forgot to mention, R2C has been making filters for military spec Hummers and other vehicles for many many years, so you know they can hold up to abuse. They use dry filters, easy to clean, just blow off with compressed air every 10K miles.

-Stillen uses oiled filters, which have to be taken apart, cleaned and reoiled everyone XXXK miles. (**not sure how often cause I don't own Stillen intake**).. Still a great intake; I'd recommend either one.
i was really confused which one i should get . myself i like r2c but i don't know if r2c will produce the hp i expected specially in hot weather .
thank you for clarification Kverd88 .
advan37 is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 AM
  #66  
GraphiteG37S
Registered User
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Simi 805 - SoCal
Posts: 7,107
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mysticalism View Post
What do you mean about sound?

It seems like the hp difference is not that big, and im not tracking. I really want r2c but local community Gs all got stillen gen 3s and they are extremely happy with it and said that r2c is no matter how good they are, they are still short ram, not as good as a CAI
Short rams are great for performance as well as daily/spirited driving. Both intakes are great choices. Obviously for tracking purpuses though, the Stillens will grab cooler air throughout a long track run as they are located further from the warm engine bay. That's really the point of a CAI. I like the stillen design because for a CAI it doesn't have the tendency to grab water and hydrolock like most other CAI being that the filters are located in the grille and not near lower portion of the engine bay or in the wheel well.
Originally Posted by advan37 View Post
i was really confused which one i should get . myself i like r2c but i don't know if r2c will produce the hp i expected specially in hot weather .
thank you for clarification Kverd88 .
No problem. I've had no problems with my car or performance in hot weather, and I live in southern California and my G37 is my daily driver. Both intakes are good choices.
GraphiteG37S is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 PM
  #67  
RedG37SNC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,112
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mysticalism View Post
What do you mean about sound?

It seems like the hp difference is not that big, and im not tracking. I really want r2c but local community Gs all got stillen gen 3s and they are extremely happy with it and said that r2c is no matter how good they are, they are still short ram, not as good as a CAI
Both intakes produce a more agressive engine sound than stock.

I'd call R2C's intake a semi-CAI. The filters are contained within sealed heat shields that will trap cold air coming in from the air inlets at speed. Not as good a CAI design as Stillen or Ingen but none of the negatives either.

I'd say that's generally true SRI is not as good as CAI, but when you put a number on it and factor in the costs... many will feel on this car it's not worth it... if indeed there actually is a difference. Not that I think R2C's or Stillen is unique, I'm kind of under the opinion that any well designed Intake possibly even the Takeda with a tune will produce similar results as well.

Also the 50K interval is a general recommendation, you really need to take into account your driving enviroment.
RedG37SNC is offline  
Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM
  #68  
GraphiteG37S
Registered User
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Simi 805 - SoCal
Posts: 7,107
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC View Post
Both intakes produce a more agressive engine sound than stock.

I'd call R2C's intake a semi-CAI. The filters are contained within sealed heat shields that will trap cold air coming in from the air inlets at speed. Not as good a CAI design as Stillen or Ingen but none of the negatives either.

I'd say that's generally true SRI is not as good as CAI, but when you put a number on it and factor in the costs... many will feel on this car it's not worth it... if indeed there actually is a difference. Not that I think R2C's or Stillen is unique, I'm kind of under the opinion that any well designed Intake possibly even the Takeda with a tune will produce similar results as well.
True, heat shields do make a slight difference as opposed to those intakes without heat shields.. With car, the small amount of power difference is not that noticeable... I've even debated at times if I should have just kept stock airboxes with HKS or K&N free flow drop in filters...

Problem is that there is not enough people who have tuned these cars and posted up the differences in the mods they have.. Tuning is where the true power is released from all bolt on parts.
GraphiteG37S is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 11:38 AM
  #69  
Mysticalism
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 569
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC View Post
Both intakes produce a more agressive engine sound than stock.

I'd call R2C's intake a semi-CAI. The filters are contained within sealed heat shields that will trap cold air coming in from the air inlets at speed. Not as good a CAI design as Stillen or Ingen but none of the negatives either.

I'd say that's generally true SRI is not as good as CAI, but when you put a number on it and factor in the costs... many will feel on this car it's not worth it... if indeed there actually is a difference. Not that I think R2C's or Stillen is unique, I'm kind of under the opinion that any well designed Intake possibly even the Takeda with a tune will produce similar results as well.

Also the 50K interval is a general recommendation, you really need to take into account your driving enviroment.

okay, i understand the fact that for SRIs it might catch warm air because it sits right next to the engine and the stillen catching cold air right off the bat sitting behind the grille.

But my question is how does that suddenly transform the R2C into more of a daily driver intake? Just because it has higher mid-range on the dyno?

and also, you said that "if you want the sound, get r2c" and then now you said they both provide the same aggressive engine sound. So whats the difference?
Mysticalism is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 11:50 AM
  #70  
GraphiteG37S
Registered User
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Simi 805 - SoCal
Posts: 7,107
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
^ intakes are intakes no matter how you look at it. They all accomplish the same things, and some are better than others. The R2C accomplishes a lot of midrange, which you will feel after a tune during daily driving. Not many people keep their car in the higher rpm ranges all the time. The stillen accomplishes more power in the upper rpm range. Both will make a slight increase in sound. If you are going to be tracking you car or running it really hard, the SRI will grab a lot of warm air as it is located in the engine bay and during tracking these motors run very hot. CAI avoid the warm air cause they are located further away from the engine bay and grab cooler air.

I noticed my R2C gets really loud and noticeable at about 4500rpm. Can't say the same for the Stillen cause indont know. An intake is an intake, comes down to which one you like better and want to get in this case. If you are not planning to tune your car the Stillen made a way bigger difference just bolting on with a stock tune. R2C was not that impressive on a stock tune.
GraphiteG37S is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 12:05 PM
  #71  
dainjarouz
Premier Member
iTrader: (4)
 
dainjarouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 715
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mysticalism View Post
But my question is how does that suddenly transform the R2C into more of a daily driver intake? Just because it has higher mid-range on the dyno?
its about driveability. CAIs have longer tubes which means the air has to travel further before it becomes power. you'll feel the difference in throttle response...something that another poster has already mentioned that the R2C was more fun to drive..and its because of exactly that, response is more immediate.
dainjarouz is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 01:02 PM
  #72  
GraphiteG37S
Registered User
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Simi 805 - SoCal
Posts: 7,107
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
^ +1.... And they seem to give a decent amount of midrange power.

During normal driving and passing the car is within the midrange RPM, I never have to give WOT to pass.. It's more fun and responsive for DD.
GraphiteG37S is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 01:50 PM
  #73  
RedG37SNC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,112
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mysticalism View Post
okay, i understand the fact that for SRIs it might catch warm air because it sits right next to the engine and the stillen catching cold air right off the bat sitting behind the grille.

But my question is how does that suddenly transform the R2C into more of a daily driver intake? Just because it has higher mid-range on the dyno?

and also, you said that "if you want the sound, get r2c" and then now you said they both provide the same aggressive engine sound. So whats the difference?
I was giving Stillen the edge for HP because of the better CAI design.

Two reasons, typically if HP isn't number one, the next major reason to install an Intake is for aesthetics... aka Sound, looks... which I why I mentioned sound under R2C's, not to imply that Stillen doesn't sound well too. The second reason its better for daily driving is better engine protection due to it's filters. Hit their site for info on the difference between oil cotton guaze and their media.
RedG37SNC is offline  
Old 09-28-2010, 03:25 PM
  #74  
John6l6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Group buy for the Gen 3 anyone? could we get some price quotes?
John6l6 is offline  
Old 09-29-2010, 12:23 PM
  #75  
Frankyg37s
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: montreal canada
Posts: 885
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sold my R2c INJEN CAI on the way haha
Frankyg37s is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Stillen Gen3/R2c dyno comparisons


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.