Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

My Stillen Gen3/R2c dyno comparisons

Old 10-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Frankyg37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Injen also uses a cotton gauze filter
i thought they used amsoil nanofibre???can u show me where it says cotton gauze cant find it anywhere thanks
Old 10-09-2010, 03:55 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by amg35
Under a stock tune, will The R2C run too rich and cause damage to the cats? Thanks.
No. Not at all. R2cs are perfectly safe.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:10 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by franky2222
i thought they used amsoil nanofibre???can u show me where it says cotton gauze cant find it anywhere thanks
Corrected, they replaced the Gauze filters below.
Injen Cold Air Replacement Filter, Injen Universal Performance Air Filters

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 10-10-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:38 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
That's the SRI, the CAI used surgical grade (lol) oiled cotton guaze.
Injen Cold Air Replacement Filter, Injen Universal Performance Air Filters
That's incorrect. The Injen CAI uses the Amsoil as well. I helped install my friend's intake and the cleaning instructions were for the amsoil dry filters. It seems Injen has switched from the red oil based filters to the blue amsoils a long time ago.

There seems to be a lot of pro R2C intake posts going around. I have yet to see more than 1 independant dyno of these that show promising gains. The Stillen 3Gs and the Injens on the other hand have a lot more indy dynos between the G37 and 370z. I don't understand the debate.

I still don't see how the R2C (a short ram) can produce as much power as a long tube stock for stock and mod for mod. From the article I posted even with a velocity stack (ie JWTs) and heat shield, they post 1/4 to 1/3 of the gains of a CAI. I don't know how JUST the filter component of the R2C can compensate for that. Also how does it compensate heat from the engine when it's located at the hottest area? During everyday driving (and not sitting on the rollers with fans blowing) where does it get constant cold air from and still combat the hot air that rises from a running engine?

I don't understand how AEM, Injen, and Stillen who have a lot of experience with intakes on VQs go with a long tube design while R2C goes with a short ram and say their design is the best.

I'm not trying to call anyone out. These are legitamite questions because this thread is confusing the f*ck out of me...lol
Old 10-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Frankyg37s

yep my injen CAI intakes uses amsoil AE nanofibre filters supposed to be good stuff
Old 10-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Frankyg37s

redg37 those filters in your link are not the ones that came with my CAI kit mine are BLUE those red ones are the cotton ones like the k&n ones
Old 10-10-2010, 01:02 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cvt
That's incorrect. The Injen CAI uses the Amsoil as well. I helped install my friend's intake and the cleaning instructions were for the amsoil dry filters. It seems Injen has switched from the red oil based filters to the blue amsoils a long time ago.

There seems to be a lot of pro R2C intake posts going around. I have yet to see more than 1 independant dyno of these that show promising gains. The Stillen 3Gs and the Injens on the other hand have a lot more indy dynos between the G37 and 370z. I don't understand the debate.

I still don't see how the R2C (a short ram) can produce as much power as a long tube stock for stock and mod for mod. From the article I posted even with a velocity stack (ie JWTs) and heat shield, they post 1/4 to 1/3 of the gains of a CAI. I don't know how JUST the filter component of the R2C can compensate for that. Also how does it compensate heat from the engine when it's located at the hottest area? During everyday driving (and not sitting on the rollers with fans blowing) where does it get constant cold air from and still combat the hot air that rises from a running engine?

I don't understand how AEM, Injen, and Stillen who have a lot of experience with intakes on VQs go with a long tube design while R2C goes with a short ram and say their design is the best.

I'm not trying to call anyone out. These are legitamite questions because this thread is confusing the f*ck out of me...lol
Thanks for the correction, good move for Injen.

Folks are just trying to determine the best intake for them. The question is... are the pains of the current CAI designs worth it. A few of us here think not and have posted evidence to prove that point.

The JWT with their center cut out cotton guaze filter fits right in to the comparison done on a previous posted article of SRI vs CAI where they suggested it generated turbulance across the MAFs and I'd bet that's the case with the JWT design as well.

As far as design.. lets just look at this, I could be wrong here but here's what I see. According to R2C what's needed is laminar flow which is created via a velocity stack in the filter design of both intakes. Also according to R2C, bends are not good. Do you think air will stay in the center of a tube when it encounters a bend... no it's like water it takes the shortest path, compressing on the bend. I'll let your imagination figure out what that does to laminar flow across a MAF in the center of a tube. The only real reason for long tubes is to get the filters out of the engine bay for cold air access. R2C's solution was to produce sealed heat shields that encompass the filters creating a air trap similar to the stock setup and this seems to work well and with no bends... check my temp graph above.

Name:  velocitystack.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  19.8 KB

The quantity of dyno's just shows there's more stillen owners that got dyno's then R2C owners.

I don't think anyone is saying R2C's a better intake, just that there's serious reasons with evidence to doubt the pains of a CAI system are worth it.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:08 AM
MikeySed

^+1... for a 10 hp give or take... the ease of install on the r2c is far easier than anything else... to me thats worth it..
Old 10-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Frankyg37s

i install the r2c in 10 minutes LOLthe injen one in an hour first time took 2 hours tho
Old 10-17-2010, 04:01 AM
ijahman

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever the case the intake is beautiful, its proven to make power on Kverd88 G, it sounds good...now all I need is a tune to make to package complete until I supercharge over the winter...

Old 10-17-2010, 02:19 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Lookin' good!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:25 PM
kosstick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump. Im down for a stillen gen 3 group buy!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:26 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Kosstic, not a bad idea. Maybe you should hit up Josh@Stillen about that.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:31 PM
kosstick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will but I want to get a few people on board!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:50 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
count me in! Was planning on buying next month, but if Josh can hook us up I can wait.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Stillen Gen3/R2c dyno comparisons