Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

My Stillen Gen3/R2c dyno comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kverd88
Don't mean to be argumentative Josh, but if I had the Gen3 (any intake for that matter) with other bolt ons I would tune my car (which I have done) in order to get my A/F ratios correct for the bolt ons.

My buddies car was running Stillen Gen3 with FI TP & CBE. and yes my tuner informed me that the car was running a little lean. (and yes Josh, headers will lean out the car even more).

I have R2C intakes and was runnin Berk HFC with FI CBE and my car was not running lean. According to my tuner (same guy tuned both cars) the reason for that was the diameter of the piping. R2C piping starts out standard oem sized up until the MAF sensor, where as Stillens piping is larger around the MAF sensor that oem spec.

At no time am I knocking stillens products as I do agree that stillen on the high end does produce more power than other intakes on the market. It is a great product, and I still recommend a tune due to A/F ratios. OP did not get baseline dynos and did not pay the extra cash for extra A/F ratios, so we have no way of telling from his testing about how rich or lean the car may have been running at the time. Dyno results were also conducted on different days, meaning humidity, temperature, and conditions causing results to vary.
Oh don't get me wrong.. tuning should always be considered with all of the typical bolt-ons, while it won't be huge HP gains, you can get very ideal with the AFR, and squeeze some ponies out.

We've just been victim to some scared customers reading that the Gen 3's are a guaranteed lean condition, when that isn't the case.

We're an absolute proponent and getting your car tuned, especially as each vehicle can also be a little different.

In regards to the piping sizes on the Gen 3, I won't get into specifics, but I will say that every bend, size, step, filter size, etc on the Gen 3's had an effect on horsepower, and we had over 55 renditions ON THE DYNO before the Gen 3 was released.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 PM
j784wrx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amg35
efuseakay, thanks for your time, effort and information in this comparison, truly appreciated.
what this guy said + you spent your own money for the greater good of the G community
Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Kverd88
I'm not sure what you mean by "correcting things" and in my opinion your entire thread sounds a bit biased. If you would have monitored your A/F ratios, then maybe you would understand what I'm talking about. You have no way of telling how your car was running on the dyno, so you can not make any statement about A/F ratio, lean or rich mixture.
I was referring to Josh stating that the Gen 3s don't always lean out as was stated. I am sure, with the HFCs and CBE that I have, tuning would help. When you have all the bolt-on/breather/exhaust mods installed, you should get a tune to get your A/F back in line. I know what you're talking about. Very much so. Maybe I just don't know how to type it down very well...

I'm not biased at all... well, not in the way you may think. I am a huge supporter of the R2c guys. I've gotten to know them personally over the past year or so, and I know for a fact they don't cut corners when designing their systems.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:18 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
^ I agree with you 100% Josh and the number of the Gen3 prove the amount of research that went to it. And like you said, anything that is changed from stock has some effect on the A/F ratio. Tuning is an important part of modding cars, not just bolting things on. VVEL can only do so much... At least for now that is.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 PM
xyz
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dainjarouz
if you want driveability and more useable power: R2C.
Originally Posted by efuseakay
I'm not cruising through town at 6.5k... lol.
I rarely take my car over 6.5k . . .
might make a difference at the drag strip . . .

tks for the comparison
Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Ok. Just had a shakedown with the R2cs. Local driving: more usable power. Highway definitely goes to the Stillen. So depending on what you want, you just have to plan accordingly. I'm thinking of getting the Stillen tubes powdercoated while they are off.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by efuseakay
I'm thinking of getting the Stillen tubes powdercoated while they are off.
That will look sick.. color?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:41 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN
That will look sick.. color?
Probably just a flat black or something. Nothing glossy. I'm kind of lazy when it comes to keeping the engine compartment clean.

I need to make some phone calls tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

lol.. totally understand.. it will look pretty stealthy.. although gloss might keep some of the bling while being more understated.

Can I send you some new decals for it?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:56 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Sure, feel free! The ones that are on there now have some bubbles anyway. lol

You need to have a talk with your sticker putter-oners! haha
Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Really? That's a shame.. usually the guys are good.. and these are metal based, usually have no issues.

I'd happily send out replacements to anyone who had an issue.. sorry about that!

We'll get you a new set ASAP..
Old 09-22-2010, 11:38 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Oh, I was only half kidding! But it's all good!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Nice dyno comparison, could you post up your graphs from the original Stillen dyno and the new R2C dyno, I want to check out the curves, especially torque.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM
G37HKS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol why you guys are fighting if the stillen g3 will lean the car or not..

in my side i would love my car to go lean..

more lean = more power after tunning...
but if the car was not lean then you would just play with ignition timing and thats it

on the other side if the car was lean.. u can gain 5-15 HP just by fixing the lean..

lean ftw
Old 09-23-2010, 11:34 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Adam West
Nice dyno comparison, could you post up your graphs from the original Stillen dyno and the new R2C dyno, I want to check out the curves, especially torque.
Need to move my scanner to the computer that actually works. But I'll get it done by tonight. I had the shop print out a comparison of the best runs between both intakes.

Looking back at this whole thing, I should have forked over the extra $ for AFR too. But oh well!

Quick Reply: My Stillen Gen3/R2c dyno comparisons