Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

My Stillen Gen3/R2c dyno comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:12 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
any other mods on that G or just intake?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
HFC/Fast Intentions CBE.

Keep in mind, we aren't looking for the max numbers... but the difference between the two systems.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:23 PM
G37HKS

wow.. thats some bad *** mid range from R2C!!

maybe with stillen intakes ur runnig lean.. a tune will get you those mid range gains back!

any AFR?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:29 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

No AFR. They wanted another $20-25 for that. No way. eh

The dyno sheet I posted in #15 is R2c's "official" comparison to the Stillen Gen 3s.

If you compare the two systems, the Stillens have the MAF sensors spaced out way farther than the R2cs... that's their trick to get these to run lean to get the gains they do. Whether or not that's a good thing... well...
Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

R2C has more mid range power in that last dyno. interesting....
Old 09-22-2010, 05:43 PM
amg35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting. I may re-think my choice of installing the R2C.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:47 PM
amg35

Perhaps that is why his G felt more "fun" while driving around? The Stillen distanced itself at higher RPMs. I would imagine most folks don't drive around at 6.5K+.

efuseakay, thanks for your time, effort and information in this comparison, truly appreciated.

Originally Posted by dainjarouz
R2C has more mid range power in that last dyno. interesting....
Old 09-22-2010, 06:17 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by amg35
Interesting. I may re-think my choice of installing the R2C.
If you have it, give it a shot. I know numbers do not lie, but like I said earlier, the car just feels more "fun"... and you're right. I'm not cruising through town at 6.5k... lol

Honestly, I'm not sure which system I'll part with. I'll put more miles on the R2c to see if anything changes good or bad. I did have the Stillens on the car for more than a months time compared to the R2cs at 6 days.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:21 PM
LightsOut

in for future info.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:57 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

im thinking if you want straight power/speed like for racing/dragging: Stillen.

if you want driveability and more useable power: R2C.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:34 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dainjarouz
im thinking if you want straight power/speed like for racing/dragging: Stillen.

if you want driveability and more useable power: R2C.
What he said. R2C has more usable power through the midrange and do not lean out the mixture. Stillen cause A/F ratio to be way off. With a proper tune, both setups will gain a little more power

Tuner had to richen my buddies car up a lot in order to put the mixture back within a safe range cause him to loose some of the initial WHP from the first dyno pull.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kverd88
What he said. R2C has more usable power through the midrange and do not lean out the mixture. Stillen cause A/F ratio to be way off. With a proper tune, both setups will gain a little more power

Tuner had to richen my buddies car up a lot in order to put the mixture back within a safe range cause him to loose some of the initial WHP from the first dyno pull.
The STILLEN Gen 3's do not lean out the vehicle, this information is incorrect. What has the most effect is headers with the combination of race pipes and/or high flow cats.

Generally if you're running one or the other, including a cat-back exhaust and the Gen 3 intakes you're A/F ratios are fine, but running all four components will create a lean condition, and require a tune.

Keeping in mind this information is based on all STILLEN items, which all have been independently shown to increase power, while other parts or a mix-n-match situation could net various results.

But to say the Gen 3's lean the car out or "be way off" just isn't the case.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Thanks Josh! I couldn't fork over the extra $ for AFR monitoring on either intake. Appreciate you chiming in and correcting things!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 PM
GraphiteG37S

Don't mean to be argumentative Josh, but if I had the Gen3 (any intake for that matter) with other bolt ons I would tune my car (which I have done) in order to get my A/F ratios correct for the bolt ons.

My buddies car was running Stillen Gen3 with FI TP & CBE. and yes my tuner informed me that the car was running a little lean. (and yes Josh, headers will lean out the car even more).

I have R2C intakes and was runnin Berk HFC with FI CBE and my car was not running lean. According to my tuner (same guy tuned both cars) the reason for that was the diameter of the piping. R2C piping starts out standard oem sized up until the MAF sensor, where as Stillens piping is larger around the MAF sensor that oem spec.

At no time am I knocking stillens products as I do agree that stillen on the high end does produce more power than other intakes on the market. It is a great product, and I still recommend a tune due to A/F ratios. OP did not get baseline dynos and did not pay the extra cash for extra A/F ratios, so we have no way of telling from his testing about how rich or lean the car may have been running at the time. Dyno results were also conducted on different days, meaning humidity, temperature, and conditions causing results to vary.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:02 PM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by efuseakay
Thanks Josh! I couldn't fork over the extra $ for AFR monitoring on either intake. Appreciate you chiming in and correcting things!
I'm not sure what you mean by "correcting things" and in my opinion your entire thread sounds a bit biased. If you would have monitored your A/F ratios, then maybe you would understand what I'm talking about. You have no way of telling how your car was running on the dyno, so you can not make any statement about A/F ratio, lean or rich mixture.
The following users liked this post:
Eyeshield25 (04-01-2015)

Quick Reply: My Stillen Gen3/R2c dyno comparisons