Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

*SOUND CLIP* of the Infamous Muffler Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:38 AM
evildarkness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myn is worse when its cold like when i first start the car but is still there when it warms up also.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:25 AM
wheelsun

yup, cars going in this Wednesday for inspection
Old 03-25-2008, 10:26 AM
en-em

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
lemme get this straight is it only present on a cold start for the first 45 sec or so???? do you not hear it after that under throttle or when idling after the car has warmed? sounds like a chainsaw!
Originally Posted by kiddmaff5646
only for the first min... then it gets quiet.
Mine first started like that....the 1st 45 secs to a minute. Then it took longer and longer. Now it's all the freakin' time until warmed up and even then I still hear it, though not as loud. Also yes, under throttle too. I was slowly merging onto the highway and see a Benz CL flying in the left lane, so I gun it so I could catch up and sweat the ride thinkin' it's an AMG version. When I did that the car downshifted and all I could hear was that annoying rattle(glad no one was next to me). It seems to be getting worse. My appointment to replace the exhaust is tomorrow. I'll put a sound clip up of the replacement. I don't know if it will be the "new and quieter" exhaust. I don't want the exhaust note too quiet. I feel it ruins the "sportscar-ry" sound. Kinda reminds me of the Porsche "Bloodlines" commercial. All I've got to say is WICKED!! Especially, that open air yellow and red LMP race car revving. BTW, the Benz was a CL65!!.....big baller-ette!!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:38 PM
beestea

Yea, I would say the raspy loud sound when the car first starts up (and warms up) is much different than the "exhaust rattle" most of us are talking about.

The start up sound is cool and sounds like a V8 almost... The exhaust rattle is continuous on my car and doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold but it sound like tacks bouncing around inside metal near the center of the car.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:32 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I got my muffler replaced for the 2nd time today. The rattle is gone for now. Unlike what someone else said the muffler is the same as the one that came off of my car originally- there was no "updated" muffler as per my dealer. So now I guess we will have to see how this replacement holds up. I fully expect that the rattle will return in the near future.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:34 AM
black fx-45

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kiddmaff5646
haha i'm glad i'm not the only one! Mine only does it on cold start up.
Hey Kidd did you get yours fixed yet, I know we got our cars from the same dealer, and same sales person (Da Mayor).
Old 03-26-2008, 01:29 PM
beestea

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I got my muffler replaced for the 2nd time today. The rattle is gone for now. Unlike what someone else said the muffler is the same as the one that came off of my car originally- there was no "updated" muffler as per my dealer. So now I guess we will have to see how this replacement holds up. I fully expect that the rattle will return in the near future.
Thanks for the info... that blows tho Seems like it should be something relatively easy to fix... maybe on the third attempt you negotiate they pay for an aftermarket exhaust
Old 03-26-2008, 03:11 PM
wheelsun

took my car in at 8 this morning..got a 07 G35 sedan loaner, pretty nice

dono what they are doing exactly, replacing the muffler or not

just said "they'll take a look at it"
Old 03-26-2008, 04:21 PM
tylerfossil

Need part # for new exhaust rattle fix please!

Hey guys,
I took my car to Infiniti for the exhaust rattle. The mechanic admitted to hearing the rattle, and the service advisor called the regional rep with Infiniti, and he is AWARE of the rattle, but said there is no bulletin or posted fix for it. I told her that a number of you guys from the forum have already had your exhausts replaced. She said that there is no bulletin, and therefore no part # with a "fixed" exhaust. She said at this point, they could order me a new exhaust, but to her knowledge, it would have the same rattle.

Would it be possible for any of you guys who had your exhaust replaced to ask the dealership what part # they ordered so I can have them order that as well.

Cheers!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:14 PM
wheelsun

..just got my car back, they say its normal. they "tested" every other G37 on the lot and it made the same noises. this is bull****, i know it is not normal for it to rattle even after the cold start
Old 03-26-2008, 07:27 PM
en-em

POST OEM muffler install pics/video

Well I brought my car to the stealership today to get the muffler replaced. I don't know if it is an "updated" exhaust. The SA did not say anything to me about the muffler being an update to the OEM one previously on the car. However, then new muffler does seem quieter, but bass-ier to me. I don't know if that's because I had slowly grown accustomed to the rattling muffler that slowly got louder. I thought that the OEM muffler with the rattle was louder with a more "tin" rasp, but that's probably because it was a bum muffler with problems.

Anyway, I don't think they changed anything other than the muffler. I've attached some pics and a clip. Maybe you guys will see or hear something I've missed. The faint static sound you may hear is from my mic and not from the car.

Last edited by en-em; 12-09-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:28 PM
en-em

POST OEM muffler install pics/video

last 3 pics and link to the new clip of the "New" OEM muffler.

BTW, the clip is from a cold start. When I got home, I let the car sit for about an hour and a half before creating the clip. The car temp gauge was also on "C" after starting, which reflected that it had cooled down. Before, I would only let it sit for about an hour and you could already hear the rattling upon start up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyyQwXvV3mA

Last edited by en-em; 12-09-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:59 PM
wheelsun

what did you say to them to have them replace it? lol
Old 03-26-2008, 08:16 PM
en-em

Originally Posted by wheelsun
what did you say to them to have them replace it? lol
I just called them and said that I think the baffles in the muffler are bad and the exhaust was making a rattling sound. I also told them that I had video and audio clips, a friend who had the same issue(not really true since none of my friends have a G37. Was pretty much referring to you forum folks), and I frequently visited Infiniti automotive forums that confirm the rattle issue. It also helped that when they "tested" my car, they heard a faint rattle. The rattle was faint because I had just finished driving to the stealership and the car was still warm. I told them the problem was more prevalent on initial startup after sitting around for a while. I guess the faint sound was enough for them to agree with me.
Then I brought a dozen donuts on the day of the muffler appointment to soften my targets. That's it.

Last edited by en-em; 03-26-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM
en-em

Originally Posted by wheelsun
..just got my car back, they say its normal. they "tested" every other G37 on the lot and it made the same noises. this is bull****, i know it is not normal for it to rattle even after the cold start
Go back and show them my video!!! I'm sure they'll have internet access. If they don't agree, go to another dealer. Another thing you can do is leave the car overnight. It should cool the car down enough by morning to really bring out the rattle. But get there early too, so you can be there when they start it up and you can point it out to a mech. Finally, you can also wait a bit longer. I guarantee that your muffler will get worse and the rattle will get louder and more obvious. Then bring it back, WITHOUT donuts, and have them replace it. By the time the 2nd OEM muffler craps out again, you may have enough extra cash to burn on an aftermarket chrome noisemaker for your car's butt.

Whoop dee doo 7-10 horseys(Is that good for 1.45 secs faster in my quarter mile). LOL, I'm eventually gonna end up with one anyway because of the sound quality. I just wish full aftermarket exhausts really kicked up the horseys more. I'm just too cheap to spring for more parts to really make the car "go". I think the 330 is respectable. It's not like you're going to really take out Porsches on the highway anyway and no one really cares what your car looks like but other car enthusiasts and yourself. Most people are like, "Ooh, is that the new Infiniti? It's nice" and that's it!! You're nothing but a fleeting thought. I estimate people like us, car enthusiasts, are probably about 3% of the overall population of car owners. That's why we notice things like the "S", "M", "AMG", and "RS" on vehicles. Other people don't. I once had a cop ask me why I put the Olympic rings on my Audi when I got pulled over. I thought he was joking......he wasn't. He thought my black slammed A4 was a Honda Accord, then proceeded to go on about "ornamental lighting" on my headlights. I had to then explain the new concept of HID/Xenon. For every one good cop, there are 30 stupid ones!! I swear, on a stack of bibles, that this is true and actually happened.

Sorry about my ranting, I don't know what came over me.

Last edited by en-em; 03-26-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: *SOUND CLIP* of the Infamous Muffler Rattle