G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
View Poll Results: Based on my experience (detailed below) should Infiniti buy back this G37 IPL?
Yes
55.81%
No
44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

2011 G37 IPL Coupe -- Total Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:31 PM
BB_Sam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 G37 IPL Coupe -- Total Engine Failure

I wanted to start a new thread that describes my ordeal with my 2011 G37 IPL 6speed manual. I had documented my ordeal in another thread, but I think it deserves its own just in case someone else encounters the same issues.

Here's a recap of my ordeal:

Originally Posted by BB_Sam
Feb 16, 2013 --> I was driving home from work and before getting on the highway, my 2011 IPL began to sputter at 3000 RPM -- regardless of what gear I was in, I could not go over 3k or it would sputter uncontrollably.

Luckily I was able to take some city streets to a nearby Infiniti Dealership -- where I left it. The car is fully stock with no mods at all. There was NO check engine light on and I tried to restart the engine a few times to see if the problem would go away -- no luck.

The car is relatively new -- only 20,000 KM's (yes, I'm Canadian). Still haven't heard from the dealership as to what the heck the problem is. I'll post it here when I find out.

My fear at this point is that they won't be able to recreate it.... OR they'll assume that it was a computer issue and just send me on my way. I want answers on this not just a "let's see if it happens again". Stay tuned.....
February 19, 2013 --> Here's the latest on my G.

Dealership says they are still in the "diagnostic phase" -- they put in a request to Infiniti's technical support desk on Friday and they're waiting for a reply.

In the interim, they asked me for proof of oil changes. **edited** My last oil change was at 14,000 kilometres in September -- I'm currently at 21,000kilometers. At my last oil change, I switched to Esther SYNTHETIC oil. Synthetic oil should last 10,000 kms at least, right? If this was an oil issue, wouldn't the 'oil' light have come on?

To give the dealership the benefit of the doubt, they may just need to have proof of oil changes to cross this item off their list to satisfy Infiniti head office.

Hoping to get an update later today.....
Feb 20, 2013 --> Here's the latest:

I may have misunderstood the comments from them yesterday, but today I asked a lot more questions and found out:

1. Initially I heard that they noticed 1 litre of oil burned. IN FACT, they found only 1 litre of oil remaining in the car

2. Even more disturbing, they claim to have found gasoline mixed in with the oil.

3. There was an old error code that was found: "Multiple Cylinder Misfire" -- apparently this code can be caused for a variety of reasons and may be unrelated to the current issue.

The dealership is continuing to perform diagnostic tests (at the request of the Infiniti tech support) to determine the exact cause of this problem. He mentioned it could be a problem with the pistons??

More waiting.... in the meantime, I'm enjoying my loaner 2012 Maxima
March 1, 2013 --> Today is the two week anniversary of the day my IPL went into limp mode. I am still without my car and the dealership is telling me that they're still diagnosing the problem. I was trying to remain calm and patient but to me it is entirely unacceptable to take two weeks to diagnose a problem.

Here's what I know now:

. earlier this week, the dealer was 'told' by Infiniti to change the camshaft cover
. they did this and it did not fix the problem -- the dealership claims they continued to see problems with the engine's operation
. next Infiniti told them to do some work on the sprockets. Not sure exactly what they did but they ordered new parts and apparently replaced these parts

From my description above, you can see I am not technically savvy about these things (and I hope to actually get more specific details today which I will post here) but it is getting ridiculous to have been without my G for 2 weeks.

Originally the dealer was talking about replacing the entire engine -- but I suspect that Infiniti doesn't want to do this unless they absolutely have to. Meanwhile, I'm stuck waiting??
March 1, 2013 --> Just after posting this, I heard from dealership.

They now think that the "timing chain missed a tooth". So, now they're going to break things down to get at the timing chain to see its condition.

They seem genuinely trying to help, but this so ridiculous....
March 6, 2013 --> The latest update is that they were told by Infiniti to change out the short block engine. The dealer "convinced" Infiniti to just change out the entire long block versus messing around with the short block.

I still have no answers about why this even happened. There was some suggestion that my driving habits burned the oil more quickly -- leaving it at dangerously low levels -- thereby causing this catastrophic failure. I just can't believe that my driving caused this problem. Especially with the issues that this engine has had in the past with oil consumption problems (TSB ITB10-048).

Searching the myg37 forum, it seems as if oil consumption problems saw a bunch of long block engines being replaced from 2008-2010 because of this problem:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/tsb-tec...b10-048-a.html

The TSB stops in 2010 so my 2011 isn't covered by this TSB. But, perhaps this problem still persists today?
March 6, 2013 --> Infiniti Canada head office calls to deliver (what they called) "good" news -- they've agreed to replace the long block engine and the timing chain . This is spectacular news -- you're changing the innards of a nearly brand new car that is supposed to be part of your "performance" line.

Oh, the "bad" news -- the new engine will take at least 3 weeks until it comes in.

Someone get me a barf bag.... Where exactly are the lemon laws in Canada.
March 11, 2013--> After being promised an Infiniti loaner car for weeks, I decided to just 'occupy' the dealership until I was given an Infiniti. Given the additional delay of 3 weeks (if not longer), I was done with my Maxima rental.

After about 15 minutes, I was given a 2013 JX35. Sweet ride -- I can now do carpool
March 18, 2013 --> Here's a positive for Infiniti:
They have now agreed to cover my lease payments while the IPL is in the shop. That amounts to two monthly payments since it looks like it'll be in the shop for a total of 8 weeks. So, I'll give Infiniti kudos for stepping up on providing this 'compensation'.

I am grateful for this gesture -- but trust me, it wasn't an easy thing to get. I had asked for the lease payment credit a while ago -- they initially said "No, we don't compensate customers for loss of use of their vehicle"... then (once the delay looked to be in the 6-8 week range) they offered me a dealership credit equivalent to my lease payments which I could use for oil changes/service/swag. Ultimately, when it was clear that the delay would be at least 8 weeks, they came back with a full / cash credit for my lease payments while the IPL is out of service.
Despite all the hating I've been doing on Infiniti, on this gesture, I am genuinely grateful and will give them a thumbs up for the 'hush' money
UPDATE March 27 ---> Got a call that my baby is ready for pickup!!! New engine has been installed

Only glitch is I'm out of town I won't be able to pick her up until next week.
UPDATE April 4th ---> Picked up car!! Finally!!!
Instructions I now have are to not rev past 4,000 RPM for at least 6,000 kms. I have to do an oil change at 2,000kms and then again at 6,000kms.... then I can rev past 4,000RPM.....

Last edited by BB_Sam; 04-07-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:34 PM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow what a bummer. Keep us updated on this situation
Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 PM
shereko

I have the automatic 2011 IPL... I have no issues with it, though its stored all winter but, prior to that I haven't seen any issues, I'm currently at 21k miles.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I have a 2011 IPL with no issues. I think I may have hit 14k in it this last weekend. No issues at all, but things can and do happen with all cars. Sorry to hear it wish they could take care of you quicker but I would hope at least you have a loaner.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:20 PM
BB_Sam

Here's an update since my last string of posts:

March 11, 2013--> After being promised an Infiniti loaner car for weeks, I decided to just 'occupy' the dealership until I was given an Infiniti. Given the additional delay of 3 weeks (if not longer), I was done with my Maxima rental.

After about 15 minutes, I was given a 2013 JX35. Sweet ride -- I can now do carpool.

A friend later forwarded me this article about Infiniti's hopes and dreams to build their brand in Canada:
Infiniti

Anticipated date of new long block engine install is week of March 24th.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:51 PM
TakmaN
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles but glad they are replacing the long block instead of trying to "patch" up the problem. Keep us updated how it turns out!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:54 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
good to hear that the long block will get re+re'd. i understand your frustrations, but the dealer has to play along with Infiniti's directives on warranty work. so if Infiniti wanted to "trial and error" a few iterations first, the dealer has no choice.

at the end of the day you have a loaner for the whole duration, and you are getting a new motor. so all should be well again soon enough. your motor failure is an isolated event, it just happens every once in a while. frustrating, yes. but things do go wrong occasionally...
Old 03-18-2013, 05:29 PM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
The exact same thing happened to my 2011 G37x Coupe when it was less than a year old. I mean down to the last detail, including their response regarding the timing chain jumping a tooth. They tried replacing the short block and various other parts, but they ended up replacing the long block after having the car for almost a month. I don't understand how so many of you guys can be excited about getting a new engine. Yeah, the part is new, but that's a ridiculous thing to have to replace on a brand new car. BB_Sam, the car is damaged goods if you ask me. Lemon it or trade it! Good luck.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:19 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
^ did Infiniti buy back your coupe and you bought that 13 IPL?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Doc750

Yea I'd make Infiniti buy the car back. Good luck when it comes time to sell it and your hoping to get top dollar for it.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 PM
BB_Sam

Originally Posted by JMS2000
I don't understand how so many of you guys can be excited about getting a new engine. Yeah, the part is new, but that's a ridiculous thing to have to replace on a brand new car. BB_Sam, the car is damaged goods if you ask me. Lemon it or trade it! Good luck.
+1

I'm glad someone else is as crazy as me I was totally pissed when Infiniti described replacing a nearly new engine with another one as 'good news'.

It's easy to think that they're doing all they can. But they only started to take this situation seriously when I escalated my predicament to the President of Infiniti Canada (I even wrote to the President of Infiniti Global). If I hadn't, they'd probably still be running a series of experiments on my defective engine ...
Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 PM
BB_Sam

Originally Posted by Doc750
Yea I'd make Infiniti buy the car back. Good luck when it comes time to sell it and your hoping to get top dollar for it.
Unfortunately, in Canada we don't have lemon laws. I've seen a few threads on this board where Inifiniti USA has bought back cars with defective engines (in States with strict lemon laws). I asked Infiniti Canada to buy it out but they flat out denied that request.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 PM
AKG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble. To answer your question about Canadian lemon laws, the closest thing we have is arbitration via CAMVAP:
CAMVAP - Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan

Under certain conditions, a manufacturer that participates in CAMVAP (Infiniti does), will buy the car back.

BTW I posted the TSB ITB10-048 oil consumption thread. I haven't found any TSBs for the IPLs or NISMO Z.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Doc750

Unfortunately, in Canada we don't have lemon laws. I've seen a few threads on this board where Inifiniti USA has bought back cars with defective engines (in States with strict lemon laws). I asked Infiniti Canada to buy it out but they flat out denied that request.
Looks like you have an arbitration option. Also I'd check to see if a local newspaper or a well known automotive blogger in Canada wants to write up about your experience. Just to avoid the bad press, Infiniti might step it up.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Had my long block asembly replaced.
Took a total of 3 weeks with shipping, I'm in us.
Your better off they replaced the whole block rather than say just some new parts & then the endless problems.

You may want to increase the oil change intervals, in cares anything ever comes up.

They burn oil, at some point it becomes a problem.

That's one of the main reasons I didn't replace with another Infiniti.

Quick Reply: 2011 G37 IPL Coupe -- Total Engine Failure