G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
View Poll Results: Based on my experience (detailed below) should Infiniti buy back this G37 IPL?
Yes
55.81%
No
44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

2011 G37 IPL Coupe -- Total Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Mayu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP - apologies for the thread jack! Think this will help everyone though!

Here is an interesting bit of reading I found on BITOG:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Tom and Ray:
When are you supposed to check your oil, when the engine is warm or when the engine is cold?--Paul

Tom: That's an excellent question, Paul. We've always told people to check the oil level first thing in the morning when the engine is cold.

Ray: But a few years ago, Ford Motor Company started recommending that people check their oil on Fords, Lincolns and Mercuries when the engine was warm.

Tom: "Warm!" we said. "How can this be?" So we called Ford and they told us that they determined that very few idiots like us were going out first thing in the morning in their bare tootsies and checking the oil. Most people, they said, tended to check their oil when they stopped for gas, when the engine was warm. So they simply recalibrated their dipsticks to read correctly in a warm engine, when the oil has heated up and expanded.

Ray: "But what about all the oil that's still at the top of the engine?" we asked. "The stuff that hasn't dripped down to the oil pan yet? Won't that result in an inaccurate and greatly varied reading, depending on how long you wait after turning off the engine? How can this possibly work?" we wondered.

Tom: So we called our secret industry oil source, who we'll refer to here only as Deep Dipstick. Deep Dipstick is a widely respected auto-industry authority, which explains why he begged us not to use his name in OUR column. Suffice it to say he is intimately familiar with all issues relating to lubrication. And what did he say?

Ray: He said the amount of oil at the top of the engine wouldn't be enough to make any significant difference. "Unless the oil passages are all plugged up, you're probably talking about an eighth of a quart or less," he said. Not enough to induce you to add a quart when you don't really need one.

Tom: So our advice is to follow the instructions in your owner's manual when you're in the mood for a really accurate reading. If it says to check the oil cold, the dipstick has been calibrated for cold, unexpanded oil. If it says to check it warm, we and Deep Dipstick hereby give you our heartfelt blessings.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Tom: But in cases where there is a difference between hot and cold readings, we'd have to suggest that you follow the instructions in the owner's manual. First of all, the manufacturer presumably knows exactly what situation the dipstick was calibrated for. And more importantly, if the company does screw up in the manual, it'll be paying the warranty costs.

Ray: And in most cases these days, the manual will tell you to check the oil at the gas station, after the car has been shut off for a few minutes. And that seems reasonable to us.

I've noticed a large difference between hot and cold readings on many GM vehicles, up to 1/2 a quart difference.

My father always went buy the add 1/2 qt less than what the car calls for and then check it when the engine is cold a couple of hours later to top it up. By following this methodology he almost never needed to add more oil because the stick red right in the middle of the operating range.

With the newer vehicles my family owns this means that he was always driving around at or just below the "MIN" mark on the dipstick as I demonstrated to him buy showing him the 1/2 qt varience on all of the families GM vehicles when comparing a cold reading, which always showed almost exactly in the middle of the of the operating range vs. a hot reading (as per the owners manual) which always showed just at or below the "MIN" mark on the dipstick.

In short, the dipsticks on most newer vehicles are calibrated to take into account the oil that may still be residing in the upper portions of the engine that has not completely drained back down into the sump on a hot engine a few minutes after shutdown.

By using a "cold" reading it will actually appear that there is the correct amount of oil in the engine when in reality the amount is actually below what it should be because the dipstick is not being read for the conditions it is calibrated for.

I finally convinced him to simply fill with the engine with the amount of oil called for in the owners manual and then check when hot. Accurate reading (about 1/4qt down from the MAX mark) every time.
---------
Old 04-19-2013, 05:30 PM
JMS2000

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mayu
So we called our secret industry oil source, who we'll refer to here only as Deep Dipstick.
lol... classic.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:18 AM
ellyH

I would really appreciate knowing if you received a response from your letter to the President. I am having a dreadful problem that sounds so similar to yours (not completely) and am being so screwed over by the Santa Monica Infinity Dealership and Consumer Affairs, Corporate. Have requested meeting with the District Service Manager and no response from my dealership and consumer affairs says they are the last step. The contact names and info are difficult to find - all I can find is the address and main number of headquarters in TN - any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 03:22 AM
ellyH

To BB Sam - would appreciate if you could let me know how you made contact with the President? I have been asking my dealership and consumer affairs, corporate, in TN, for a meeting with the District Service Manager and they are practically laughing at me. I have a huge problem with my 2008 G37, less than 49,000 miles, consistent oil changes, etc., and am being screwed. How did you get the name, address, phone number? Did you get a response to your letter - any assistance would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:38 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm sorry, what was the reason you think Infiniti should buy your car back?
Old 10-25-2014, 12:54 AM
G37from818

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this a common problem with G37's???