Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

auto tiptronic tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:47 PM
sawfiler
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto tiptronic tranny

Can anyone tell me how this tranny performs in sports mode head to head with the 6MT. I have heard that there is a bit of lag inbetween shifts in the auto and is not very responsive. Anyone have any insights.
Thanks
Old 08-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Xen

Huge can of worms you want to open =D

First, as I a sure many are going to suggest, use the search function, there are a TON of threads on this topic.

Second, figure out what your needs are: Do you like rowing through gears? What is the main reason for buying the car? Are you going to be commuting in traffic?

Third, how do you like to drive?

I learned to drive in a manual, owned as many manuals as automatics (not owned very many cars mind you) and own a 7AT, albeit for a short time. During that time here is what I found:

After test driving a manual G37S it felt like a manual, I enjoyed the rev matching, heel-toe'ing, pretending I'm a race car driver =D I then drove the 7AT with paddle shifters (first time with shifters).

My thoughts on the 7AT. In Drive it's sluggish. It's an auto, granted its a nice feeling auto. In DS mode, the engine just redlines before shifting, which is great if you are going straight. I leave the car in DS mode and use the paddles for manual shifting and let DS mode handle the grunt work of 3 gear and below for downshifting (which is nice).

I think if I had to do it over again, I might go 6MT but from what I have read and how I drive/where and when, a 7AT with paddles is totally fine for me, in fact I don't miss the clutch work but I still get the gear control.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:09 PM
GianG37x

all i have to say is CHECK OUT THE GEAR RATIOS ON THE 7AT AND 1ST GEAR IS LIKE WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Old 08-06-2010, 03:15 PM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7at is faster than 6mt
Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
blindman8858

Originally Posted by LightsOut
7at is faster than 6mt
Not significant of a difference to matter so much. At the end of the day it comes down to preference. I bought the 7AT because I didnt like the clutch on the 6MT. Furthermore, I live in LA, and traffic sucks.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:19 PM
LightsOut

^^^

my non sport is faster than your sport

Im lighter lol

I wanted a used 6mt but ended up in a 2010 auto.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:15 PM
droogie
Registered Member

Originally Posted by LightsOut
^^^

my non sport is faster than your sport

Im lighter lol

I wanted a used 6mt but ended up in a 2010 auto.

Sport doesn't mean its faster.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:43 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

but would you say the awd is slower than both the sport and the non-sport? the awd would get more traction and all, but is heavier.

i got my 2010 g37x and it doesnt have paddle shifters. if i 'floor' it (meaning press the pedal as far down as possible instantly) i usually hit redline or very close to it before my car shifts in regular drive mode. same with the drive sport mode. the only difference i could tell between the two is that in drive sport mode my rpm's are a lot higher when just cruising. it doesnt like shifting up, which is nice, i love the sound around that 3-4k rpm range. in regular drive it stays between 1-2k rpm and gives me MUCH better gas milage lol. i usually let the car shift itself when in drive sport or 'DS" mode. idk about others, but the shifts for me are horrible (some may agree and others may say its not so bad). ill be approaching red line and shift and nothing happens and my engine just starts revving really high and then shifts after about half a second, or at least it seems that long. its awful. i tried getting used to it, and then i even tried timing it early, but its just too much of a pain. HOWEVER, i have realized it does shift nicely on downshifts. if im on the road and want to get a more spirited drive, i just flick the **** down and the car takes off. upshifts near redline are the biggest problem ive seen.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:52 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Guys this has been discussed to death on these forums.