Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Stillen/GTM Supercharger Pros, Cons, and Questions

Old 06-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
If you're WOT'ing a lot, engine longevity wouldn't be as much of a concern as heat issues; the engine is already prone to running hot.

I sincerely hope that there is a solution to this, as even the N/A guys running at the track will all overheat, regardless of their cooling setup. The larger oil coolers only stave off the problem rather than eliminate it completely.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I dont understand what's the wrong with using oil coolers?

WOT = Heat = Higher oil temps.

If you do a lot of tracking or constant WOTing, get a big oil cooler.

If you daily drive the car, with occasional WOT like me, a 19 or 25 row setrab oil cooler will more than enough. I've never tracked the car, but from bumper to bumper traffic in LA to spirited driving, I've never seen oil temp >235 with my 25 row oil cooler.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by Modme
I dont understand what's the wrong with using oil coolers?

WOT = Heat = Higher oil temps.

If you do a lot of tracking or constant WOTing, get a big oil cooler.

If you daily drive the car, with occasional WOT like me, a 19 or 25 row setrab oil cooler will more than enough. I've never tracked the car, but from bumper to bumper traffic in LA to spirited driving, I've never seen oil temp >235 with my 25 row oil cooler.
235 is already way hot for simple stop and go traffic. I never see more than 210 in my daily commute (not a VQ37).

Oil coolers are a bandaid for the heat issues of the VQ37, not a fix. The engine inherently runs hot, in stock form. With the additional heat associated with the increased output, the problem can only get worse.

Feel free to browse the track section of any 370z forum to see how serious the issue is; the NA Zs all overheat, no matter how large their oil cooler is.

Compound the following:

Hot engine
Increased under-hood heat from increased output
decreased airflow from IC/heat exchanger/coolers

These kits are perfect for the occasional WOT session. As-is, I don't see them fit for any heavy duty or competition use. I'm more than willing to change this opinion once I start seeing FI VQ37's at the track that don't overheat without significant custom work.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Modme
Registered Member

You cant say because your other car, which has a different engine, only runs at 210, then it's too hot for a VQ37VHR to run at 235. Engines are designed differently. I'm sure nissan is well aware of the high oil temperature that the VHRs are running. They placed the limp mode at the temperature they think will damage the engine. By adding an oil cooler, we are adding another level of safety so that the temperature does not reach the limit that Nissan set.

And I totally agree with your last part. Slapping any FI to a N/A car without a rebuild is not fit for competition use. If you are serious about tracking or racing, then you gotta pay to play. As long as you have the money, there are many ways to ensure your car will stand the constant WOT abuse. Heck, you can just get a higher priced car that is designed with more HP from the factory.

I think the point is, for more fun driving on the street and maybe occasional tracking, GTM + Stillen's kits would be sufficient for most people. If you want serious race car, drop 30 grand at GTM and they can build you a 1000 HP monster.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there's nothing we can do about this heat issues till they throw out a tsb. i can see more and more of the VQHR having heat issues now. for the people that like to track or drive aggressive. an oil cooler is really recommended. my tech helped me check my oil temp and it was already at 230 on idling. imagine driving it some more and see where the temp will be at.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Mike

You cant say because your other car, which has a different engine, only runs at 210, then it's too hot for a VQ37VHR to run at 235. Engines are designed differently. I'm sure nissan is well aware of the high oil temperature that the VHRs are running. They placed the limp mode at the temperature they think will damage the engine. By adding an oil cooler, we are adding another level of safety so that the temperature does not reach the limit that Nissan set.

And I totally agree with your last part. Slapping any FI to a N/A car without a rebuild is not fit for competition use. If you are serious about tracking or racing, then you gotta pay to play. As long as you have the money, there are many ways to ensure your car will stand the constant WOT abuse. Heck, you can just get a higher priced car that is designed with more HP from the factory.

I think the point is, for more fun driving on the street and maybe occasional tracking, GTM + Stillen's kits would be sufficient for most people. If you want serious race car, drop 30 grand at GTM and they can build you a 1000 HP monster.
Oil is oil, and simply put, when temps get that high, it starts to break down. It doesn't matter what kind of oil you run; it will thin out, and bad things start to happen.

If I saw 140C/280F oil temps in any car, I'd change that oil out as soon as I got home

On the other hand, being too cool isn't beneficial either...
Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
there's nothing we can do about this heat issues till they throw out a tsb. i can see more and more of the VQHR having heat issues now. for the people that like to track or drive aggressive. an oil cooler is really recommended. my tech helped me check my oil temp and it was already at 230 on idling. imagine driving it some more and see where the temp will be at.
Idle temps tend to be higher than when you're moving; the cooling fans can only push/pull so much air on their own.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
You cant say because your other car, which has a different engine, only runs at 210, then it's too hot for a VQ37VHR to run at 235.
Maybe he can't say it but I can. 235 degrees is too hot.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:56 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
But it's a given isn't it? Running at 11:1 compression doesn't come for free

We need some sort of ducting to funnel air in and out of the engine.. F1 style!

Vented hood?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Maybe he can't say it but I can. 235 degrees is too hot.
Well then, let's all throw our engines out of the window. Because everyone on the370z runs 235 easily. And stock oil temperature sensor reads about 10 degrees lower than my PLX device sensor.

I just sent my last oil change to blackstone for analysis. We'll if see 235 is "too hot"

Last edited by Modme; 06-22-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Maybe that has something to do with all the problems of overheating? Just thinking out loud here, hate to play the common sense card.

Good thing there's not any heat issues related to the VVEL system... oh wait a minute, there are...
Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 PM
DmfG37sTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have to side with modme. Like sam said with a compression ratio of 11:1 what do you think is going to happen. However christian doesnt have an oil cooler and im not sure what his temps are, but I know he doesnt drive his car like a grandma either... still no porblems...
Old 06-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by G37Sam
But it's a given isn't it? Running at 11:1 compression doesn't come for free

We need some sort of ducting to funnel air in and out of the engine.. F1 style!

Vented hood?
Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
I would have to side with modme. Like sam said with a compression ratio of 11:1 what do you think is going to happen. However christian doesnt have an oil cooler and im not sure what his temps are, but I know he doesnt drive his car like a grandma either... still no porblems...
Do Motorcycles with nearly 12:1 compression run too hot? Lets not forget they rev into the stratosphere.

Does the M3 with with a compression of 12:1 run too hot? It also revs higher.

What about diesels that typically run 18:1? They're usually turbocharged too, albiet with much lower redlines.

Ferrari? Lambo? Porsche?

Compression is simply a way to make power. The VQ35HR doesn't suffer from the catastrophic heat problems that the VQ37VHR suffers, and compression is nearly identical.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
Do Motorcycles with nearly 12:1 compression run too hot? Lets not forget they rev into the stratosphere.

Does the M3 with with a compression of 12:1 run too hot? It also revs higher.

What about diesels that typically run 18:1? They're usually turbocharged too, albiet with much lower redlines.

Ferrari? Lambo? Porsche?

Compression is simply a way to make power. The VQ35HR doesn't suffer from the catastrophic heat problems that the VQ37VHR suffers, and compression is nearly identical.
No doubt Mike knows his chit!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:34 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
VHR bottom end with HR head.....
VHR bottom end with HR head....
VHR bottom end with HR head...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stillen/GTM Supercharger Pros, Cons, and Questions