Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Stillen/GTM Supercharger Pros, Cons, and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
updates once both companies finalize their kits; both seem to be very close
Old 05-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
updates once both companies finalize their kits; both seem to be very close
leave me out of it! i hate comparisons.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Drag race!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:30 PM
dillyyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone tell me if the Stillen unity requires bigger injectors for the 8psi level? I would assume reflash if if you don't need the bigger injectors. What intake system is used for the new intake manifold, as both TB are on the same side?

Also, does this kit come with everything needed (SC, intake, new manifold, heat exchanger, other things?) ?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Mike

Both kits are all inclusive, and include all hardware necessary for the kit purchased if you plan on using it as-is.

The kits are of course customizable and all you need to do is contact the company making the kit.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dillyyo
Can someone tell me if the Stillen unity requires bigger injectors for the 8psi level? I would assume reflash if if you don't need the bigger injectors. What intake system is used for the new intake manifold, as both TB are on the same side?

Also, does this kit come with everything needed (SC, intake, new manifold, heat exchanger, other things?) ?
both Stillen and GTM kits come with the required injectors if you buy the turn key version of the kit. So far only the turn key kits are out so they both should come with injectors anyway. They also both come with the required flash (using Uprev Osiris software) and both also come with their own intake system.

I suggest you take a look at STILLEN : Precision Performance Components for Your Car or Truck and see the parts included.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:24 PM
dillyyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. Kind of realized after I read through some yesterday. Positive thing about the SC is that there is no need to rip out the engine which is a HUGE plus! Did that a plethora of times when I use to own my Z32 TT and was modding everything left and right!

Anyone have opinions between Turbos and SC? I know the basic differences and limitations, but what about real world differences?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Q8y_drifter

Originally Posted by dillyyo
Thanks for the responses guys. Kind of realized after I read through some yesterday. Positive thing about the SC is that there is no need to rip out the engine which is a HUGE plus! Did that a plethora of times when I use to own my Z32 TT and was modding everything left and right!

Anyone have opinions between Turbos and SC? I know the basic differences and limitations, but what about real world differences?
SC - cheaper, easier to install and maintain, increased reliability over turbo, better day to day usage, less heat issues (due to engine oil used by turbo)

TT - more power, easier to increase & decrease boost via EBC, better torque, more fun at the track and weekend driving, easier to gain more power out of the same turbo.

This is ofcourse more of a general view of both but yeah. Personally I'd go with a SC if my car is a DD (and it is). It's just much easier to live with and less stuff the worry about over a turbo system IMO. Plus our cars make excellent power with FI and are quite reliable with the right amount of boost. The nice thing is that the power difference between SC and TT is not that much especially if you're considering going with a basic stage 1 kit (TT or SC). They both make over 400whp easily at similar amounts of boost.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:43 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
im torn... the s/c just gives constant pressure onto the motor while the turbo you need to be in the right RPM's to hit boost.

It's also depending on how much more power you're looking to gain.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Mike

Kenny, you've gone down the Turbo route before. SC it this time
Old 06-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Q8y_drifter

Originally Posted by da mayor
im torn... the s/c just gives constant pressure onto the motor while the turbo you need to be in the right RPM's to hit boost.

It's also depending on how much more power you're looking to gain.

Actually, GTM's SC does not stay in boost all the time. Check out GTM's video when they test the yellow 370Z on the streets with the telemetry system. During normal driving (low rpm/low load situations) the car remains in vacuum just like an N/A engine. They even went all the way to 4K rpm driving normally (part throttle and normal acceleration) and it remained in vacuum the whole time. So unless you step on the throttle, there is no boost seen any time you're accelerating normally or cruising.
Plus, the car only sees full 8psi boost towards redline since boost increases as RPMs increase. This makes the engine last even longer when compared to turbo systems and roots type SC's.
The same is probably true for Stillen's kit as well. So if you go WOT but shift say at 6K rpm, you're only seeing maybe 6psi assuming your max boost is at 8psi. Turbos on the other hand will build full boost WELL before redline (same goes for roots type blowers).
This all goes back to whether you like the reliability of a centrifugal SC or power of a turbo, hence why an SC is a better choice for a DD IMO. Either way, both systems will put a big grin on your face every time you hit the throttle
Old 06-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
Actually, GTM's SC does not stay in boost all the time. Check out GTM's video when they test the yellow 370Z on the streets with the telemetry system. During normal driving (low rpm/low load situations) the car remains in vacuum just like an N/A engine. They even went all the way to 4K rpm driving normally (part throttle and normal acceleration) and it remained in vacuum the whole time. So unless you step on the throttle, there is no boost seen any time you're accelerating normally or cruising.
Plus, the car only sees full 8psi boost towards redline since boost increases as RPMs increase. This makes the engine last even longer when compared to turbo systems and roots type SC's.
The same is probably true for Stillen's kit as well. So if you go WOT but shift say at 6K rpm, you're only seeing maybe 6psi assuming your max boost is at 8psi. Turbos on the other hand will build full boost WELL before redline (same goes for roots type blowers).
This all goes back to whether you like the reliability of a centrifugal SC or power of a turbo, hence why an SC is a better choice for a DD IMO. Either way, both systems will put a big grin on your face every time you hit the throttle
The amount of boost and reliability don't really have any correlation. Even a NA engine that isn't revved as high will last longer.

Also, with a SC setup, the blower is always making positive pressure once you hit the blower's threshold (which is typically very low), but the boost is being bled off.

Either setup (turbos or supercharger) will be reliable if you don't go overboard on how much power you want to make, and with a good tune. The thing is, we don't know that "safe power level" yet, as there aren't quite enough FI VQ37's out there that are driven hard.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Q8y_drifter

How does it not? You have a TT G37 that makes 8psi at 4K rpm vs an SC G37 (centrifugal) that makes 4psi at 4K RPM. The SC G is theoretically going to last longer since it sees less boost and torque at 4K RPM as opposed to the TT G37. I mean if boost does not affect reliability then why aren't GTM/Stillen boosting well over 8psi? Look at the torque curves of both kits. TT's make much more torque at lower RPM vs centrifugal SC's and that alone saves the drivetrain and engine from excessive wear and tear.

True, but I'm going by GTM's telemetry system on the Z, which rarely goes into boost even at 4K RPM during normal driving. I understand that it is always building pressure but either way the manifold does not see any boost.

Terry's HR sedan with a GTM Stage 1 TT is now over 2 years old I believe and I don't hear any issues from him. It's his DD as well.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Mike

you only see 8 psi at 4k rpm if youre WOT. If you're WOT, you're WOT.

Daily driving, both setups wouldn't see much if any boost at 4k rpm.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Q8y_drifter

I'm strictly talking WOT here (unless I mention normal city driving). Even if you go WOT on an SC G37, you're not gonna make max boost at 4K RPM, however on a TT G37, you will. That was the point I was trying to make.

Daily driving is a different story of course and like I said, the telemetry showed that the car was in vacuum most of the time anyway, which is very much like a turbo car as you said.

Quick Reply: Stillen/GTM Supercharger Pros, Cons, and Questions