Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Stillen/GTM Supercharger Pros, Cons, and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 03:01 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
First I'd like to highlight that this is not an advertisement! I have been struggling to hell with my g37 stillen supercharged to get it to drive "normally" and finally I happy with it after spending way too much money on other tunes. Here's finally what happened:

I've been battling fuel control issues with my supercharged G ever since I've had it, however, I didn't realize my issues until I met Anthony from FFTEC and he was completely open book with me about everything.
I've had numerous tunes from reputable tuners (multiple west coast and east coast tuners) from all over the country. Finally, it took the hard work and dedication of Anthony at FFTEC.com to put my car into complete fuel control using a combination of ECUTEK and the utilization of ALL of it's powerful custom features in creative ways I can't even begin to describe.
Many tuners use the speed density feature to tune this kit, however, after close observation it becomes obvious that vehicles tuned with conventional tunes will have wide swings in injector pulse widths to compensate for trims that are constantly swinging to far one way or the other. This results in surges of power, and overall lack of smooth driveability.
Working with FFTEC has been a painless pleasure. They have a base tune now calibrated for outstanding driveability that could be custom tailored to any Stillen supercharged 3.7VHR application. I am absolutely astonished at what they were able to accomplish after I had paid for 3x other tunes some of the most prestigious outlets. Not only is my car getting excellent fuel economy, but it's making great power and I don't have to worry about my cats clogging anymore from poor fuel control (since my vehicle is a california vehicle).
email sales@FFTEC.com and ask for Anthony if you want the most of out of your Stillen supercharger kit!
What type of drivability issues were you dealing with? Did you ever think to just relocate the MAFs? It probably would have saved you a lot of headache.

I've been tuned via MAFs, SD, and hybrid. I've found that the hybrid tune was the smoothest, since you get the best of both worlds. Then again, my MAFs are also relocated, so that wouldn't have worked for you.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:49 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by milkcow500
What type of drivability issues were you dealing with? Did you ever think to just relocate the MAFs? It probably would have saved you a lot of headache.

I've been tuned via MAFs, SD, and hybrid. I've found that the hybrid tune was the smoothest, since you get the best of both worlds. Then again, my MAFs are also relocated, so that wouldn't have worked for you.
I was dealing with weird powerband issues down low where the car would fall flat on its face. There were surges in power - it didn't drive like a stock vehicle. I had the other tuners tell me this was "normal" for a modified vehicle. But Anthony has proven to me that the car can be made to drive normal even with the supercharger and its impact on air metering.

I tried all of the above - kept having issues. Never tried MAF relocation, but then we're looking at a blow-through config, and that wouldn't be smog legal in CA.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:58 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bythabay
I was dealing with weird powerband issues down low where the car would fall flat on its face. There were surges in power - it didn't drive like a stock vehicle. I had the other tuners tell me this was "normal" for a modified vehicle. But Anthony has proven to me that the car can be made to drive normal even with the supercharger and its impact on air metering.

I tried all of the above - kept having issues. Never tried MAF relocation, but then we're looking at a blow-through config, and that wouldn't be smog legal in CA.
Ah I forgot about smog legal haha. I've converted to blow-through and it made the kit so much easier to work with in terms of everything. The MAFs location of the stock kit is terrible and the Y-pipe design for the dual intake is honestly a poor design.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:36 PM
RickyBobby
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
bythabay thanks for the details. we had a local tuner out here in Colorado who tuned FI and nitrous on the VQ's but he was software heavy and got a job with uprev in Texas. Will run this all by him asking if that is one thing he has been working on.

milkcow what maf relocation did you do, did you have to custom fab off the stillen kit or use something else for intake?
Old 04-11-2017, 02:38 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
bythabay thanks for the details. we had a local tuner out here in Colorado who tuned FI and nitrous on the VQ's but he was software heavy and got a job with uprev in Texas. Will run this all by him asking if that is one thing he has been working on.

milkcow what maf relocation did you do, did you have to custom fab off the stillen kit or use something else for intake?
I'm on the Air-Air kit, so my MAFs are right before the manifold. The Q50 guys have been relocating the MAFs to the stillen charge pipe though.

You slap a universal K&N filter on the volute of the supercharger and toss the y pipe. You get more boost from this modification as well.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:55 AM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by milkcow500
[Snip] The Q50 guys have been relocating the MAFs to the stillen charge pipe though.

You slap a universal K&N filter on the volute of the supercharger and toss the y pipe. You get more boost from this modification as well.
Do you have a link to a thread or some discussion on relocating the MAFs to the charge pipe?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:44 AM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RadioFlyer
Do you have a link to a thread or some discussion on relocating the MAFs to the charge pipe?
I don't, but here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

Another option is to disable the MAFs, install IATs in the plenum, and then tune via SD.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:33 AM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

I can't tune on the MAP (SD) because I have an 08, and ECUtek doesn't work for it. But thanks for the pic! That's what I imagined, but in my head, I didn't think it would work. I suppose it would work if UpRev had the ability to scale each MAF independently.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:53 PM
Topgunz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can still run mafs and a blow thru with the A2A kit. Just will max the voltage out on the mafs around 9 to 10 psi.

By placing the mafs in the stillen pipe your still fighting heatsoak issues and high intake temps.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:42 PM
Mad A
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I want to put a K&N filter directly on to the volute of my Stillen supercharger. I've already re-located the MAFs post blower., right before the throttle bodies My question is what to do with the hoses going into the inlet boot that goes on the SC in stock format. One is from the by-pass valve, and that's easy not a problem, I can just let it vent to air. The other hose is from the crankcase I believe. What has everyone done with this? Crankcase breather filters? Where? Any help is appreciated
Old 06-02-2017, 01:29 AM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

It's not ideal, but both of those hoses can be vented to atmosphere. They're both vents, they just get routed back to the intake for emissions purposes. In some cases, the PCV benefits from the vacuum of the intake manifold, but in this case, I don't think the SC has the same effect.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:58 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
The remedy to this pcv issue is a little complicated. Optimally you would have a bumg welded post supercharger for the pcv to connect to, you would install a vent to atmosphere catch can in line with a check valve on the vent and at the charge pipe. When out of boost it would seal the system and run as intended. When in boost it would open to atmosphere venting and seal the bumg on the charge pipe. You can tune around the fact of you always leaving it open to atmosphere but again, it isn't ideal
Old 06-05-2017, 06:14 AM
Mad A
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4doorfury
The remedy to this pcv issue is a little complicated. Optimally you would have a bumg welded post supercharger for the pcv to connect to, you would install a vent to atmosphere catch can in line with a check valve on the vent and at the charge pipe. When out of boost it would seal the system and run as intended. When in boost it would open to atmosphere venting and seal the bumg on the charge pipe. You can tune around the fact of you always leaving it open to atmosphere but again, it isn't ideal
That's perfect! Thank you, that makes sense. I may not get around to it right away but that is the direction I want to go.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Nycstilleng37s
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad A
I want to put a K&N filter directly on to the volute of my Stillen supercharger. I've already re-located the MAFs post blower., right before the throttle bodies My question is what to do with the hoses going into the inlet boot that goes on the SC in stock format. One is from the by-pass valve, and that's easy not a problem, I can just let it vent to air. The other hose is from the crankcase I believe. What has everyone done with this? Crankcase breather filters? Where? Any help is appreciated
Any one in the tri state NYC area that can help me with this?

I am on a stillen kit and still air to water.

What is the best way to do this, or is an air to air kit the only smart way to go?

I think on the set up I bought that there is an upgraded heat exchanger already but not exactly sure.