Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Stillen/GTM Supercharger Pros, Cons, and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Ijust went and looked through pages and pages of G37's in the gallery to see if I could see anything in any of the front grills. Nothing. If it's a front mounted IC look you are after then you are going to have to paint that thing a very bright silver (darn near white). The opening is not very big and no light gets in there. Maybe if you go with a thinner mesh, that might help get some light in.

Personally, I'd paint all the coolers black because I don't like them to be seen but that's just me.
Agreed. People that wanna show off their intercoolers will have to remove the plastic mesh from the lower grille.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:00 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they don't make anything decent for that part yet
Old 04-02-2010, 07:21 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ijust went and looked through pages and pages of G37's in the gallery to see if I could see anything in any of the front grills. Nothing. If it's a front mounted IC look you are after then you are going to have to paint that thing a very bright silver (darn near white). The opening is not very big and no light gets in there. Maybe if you go with a thinner mesh, that might help get some light in.

Personally, I'd paint all the coolers black because I don't like them to be seen but that's just me.
Name:  IonicGrill3.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  63.4 KB
Old 04-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
we'll find out in a few more weeks
Old 04-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Da Hashi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks Mike for the thread....lots of info....now stop buggin me to FI hahahaha
Old 04-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Hashi. Go FI.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
STILLEN 370Z / G37 Supercharger Endurance Testing Continues : STILLEN
Old 04-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
^ Can't wait to see more pics of your system.

-----------------------------------------------

Sam@GTM, for those of us who have the GTM EMS Solution kit (GTM Motorsports ENGINE MANAGEMENT GTM Ems Turnkey Solution Kit), would that drop the price on the turnkey S/C kit? If so, what about things like air filters and the bypass valve? Since I have Amsoil dry filters and Forge diverter valves which I can use instead.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Moofer

This is alll lame.... Ok, I lied. This is soo awesome except the fact I NEED A S/C FOR MY 09' G37X Sedan! Sadface

Mike is such an asset to this g37 community, thank you for this thread!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:49 AM
ModLikeMad

With all the killer info in this thread, coupled with the following facts make me wonder why in the world this discussion has not been STICKIED by any of the MODS: 1) the responses to the questions asked have been given by the actual companies producing the SC Kits (so no speculation or here-say) 2)These are the top two major companies discussed and respected in this particular area on this forum 3) The only two topics stickied in this forum sub-section (Engine, Drivetrain and Forced Induction) are muffler rattle and back pressure... COME ON!! This thread is absolutely invaluable to FI seekers and should not be lost to the tides of time... Give the people what they want!!

P.S. A fantastic thread that should be missed by none. Thank you Mike, GTM, and Stillen for your continued info and updates, just another testament to the superior care and quality both these companies invest in their clients and products.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Mike

Both kits are still not in production; as more information surfaces, I will continue to add to the thread.

I'd love to get a dyno back to back of the two kits on *STOCK* cars (minus the kit of course). Ideally, the two cars would be the CARB variant of the kit Hopefully, I'll be able to arrange for that.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
I like the idea of a dyno comparison with two cars being stock other than the kits, but there is still a problem with that. Let's say kit "A" performs better with everything else stock. Then we introduce aftermarket exhausts into the equation, and kit "B" blows the other kit away.

This problem is nothing new. Some Mustang guys would hurt performance by adding a big Kenny Bell to their Cobra until they got the other supporting mods. The really big FAST LSXR intake for the LS engine is known to come up short unless everything else can support that much airflow (then look out).

I know you have to start with some sort of baseline but a lot of times the entire system as a whole has to be looked at. And I don't believe anyone thinks a guy would spend that much money on a supercharger kit and still have the stock exhaust.

But there is always the good chance I could be wrong too. Kit "A" might out-perform kit "B" in every scenario, in which case it would be a lot easier to call a winner.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Mike

I like the idea of a dyno comparison with two cars being stock other than the kits, but there is still a problem with that. Let's say kit "A" performs better with everything else stock. Then we introduce aftermarket exhausts into the equation, and kit "B" blows the other kit away.

This problem is nothing new. Some Mustang guys would hurt performance by adding a big Kenny Bell to their Cobra until they got the other supporting mods. The really big FAST LSXR intake for the LS engine is known to come up short unless everything else can support that much airflow (then look out).

I know you have to start with some sort of baseline but a lot of times the entire system as a whole has to be looked at. And I don't believe anyone thinks a guy would spend that much money on a supercharger kit and still have the stock exhaust.

But there is always the good chance I could be wrong too. Kit "A" might out-perform kit "B" in every scenario, in which case it would be a lot easier to call a winner.
Totally valid point, and I completely agree that this could be the case. The only REAL point to this dyno comparison would be for the California guys who wants a 100% legal car, and to give third party validation to the hp/tq gain claims of both cars.

For all I know, the Stillen may end up having a stronger midrange powerband, contrary to everything I've stated, and GTM's kit may ultimately have more potential.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
just making sure I got this correctly, GTM said the SC oil should be changed 24,000miles/2 years. I just downloaded this PDF which covers the general install and maintenance of the Rotrex SC kits and they say the oil and filter should be changed at 50,000miles/2 years

http://www.forcedairperformance.com/...aflet_V4.3.pdf
Old 04-19-2010, 06:02 PM
akuma_83

Originally Posted by SAM@GTM
The Rotrex oil should be changed every 2 years/50000 miles, whichever comes first with only The Rotrex traction fluid Rotrex SX100

No additional engine cooling is required, engine oil cooler is always a good idea.

We are spinning the supercharger to 85000 RPM .

Sam

Quoted from Page 4 of the GTM S/C thread
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...elease-17.html

Quick Reply: Stillen/GTM Supercharger Pros, Cons, and Questions