Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Stillen/GTM Supercharger Pros, Cons, and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by njchen24
In other word, the sc will have a faster response than tt, especially when you floor to pass or to start from a stop point. Am I understand correctly?
No, the SC will not response faster than a turbo. The SC won't see full boost till red line while the turbo is at full boost at lower rpm range. Overall the turbo setup will be faster with much quicker response than the SC.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:07 AM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
No, the SC will not response faster than a turbo. The SC won't see full boost till red line while the turbo is at full boost at lower rpm range. Overall the turbo setup will be faster with much quicker response than the SC.
That statement is not exactly true... it is true the SC will move it's maximum volume of air at the redline of the engine but depending on the sizing of the SC it may be moving far more air than the engine needs to achieve "full boost". So "full boost" may be achieved far sooner than redline, also the pumping efficiency of the engine usually falls off at the top of the rev range (it follows the torque curve) so it will need less air volume proportionately to achieve "full boost" as the engine reaches redline.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
What is "full boost"? The max the supercharger can put out? Because usually a turbo is throttled back using the wastegate to hold it to a "max boost", not what it can fully provide. And roots style superchargers usually put out their maximum boost very quickly and sustain that pressure throughout the rpm while centrifugal superchargers need the rpm's to build that boost.

"Boost", "full boost", "max boost", all completely depend on the setup of the compressor. Whether it's a turbo, twin turbos, a centrifugal supercharger, or a positive displacement supercharger, it all depends on the setup. By "setup", I'm talking displacement of the engine, how well the heads flow, size of the compressor, type of compressor, those type of things.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelr
That statement is not exactly true... it is true the SC will move it's maximum volume of air at the redline of the engine but depending on the sizing of the SC it may be moving far more air than the engine needs to achieve "full boost". So "full boost" may be achieved far sooner than redline, also the pumping efficiency of the engine usually falls off at the top of the rev range (it follows the torque curve) so it will need less air volume proportionately to achieve "full boost" as the engine reaches redline.
The Centrifugal nature of the blowers on both supercharger kits will alter the torque curve; pumping efficiency is changed when air is being forced into the engine as opposed to sucked in. Maximum boost (and power) will increase more linearly with RPMs relative to the stock engine.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM
warmmilk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
how fast an engine responds and how fast it reaches full boost are 2 different things... resonse is how fast an engine resonds to throttle inputs, in which case an sc will always resond quicker because the sc is connected to the engine with a belt. that means it will always make the same boost at a given rpm. where as when you hit the gas on a turbo'd engine, it will take some time (alot or very little depending on the setup) to get into boost. but the sc is always spining at the same speed in relation to engine rpm, so as soon as the throttle opens, its already making boost, making the engine respond quicker

also, if you have a positive displacement supercharger it hits full boost almost instantly from when you floor the throttle
Old 11-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Dv8

Clearly no defined winner here so far? Who's making more power vs the competitor with the same mods at the same boost level with the best reliability and support?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:07 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
best thing to do is to get a tuner kit and forget about the carb kits. Go TT if you are looking for more than 415 whp, unless you beef up the fuel rails and add some returns as well.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
I'll hopefully have a dyno here soon from GTM.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd love to do a solid comparison between the two; I'm sure members would be willing to chip in to sponsor a back-to-back dyno.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 PM
jon1018

can the awd 7at handle the stillen superchager???
Old 11-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by Mike
I'd love to do a solid comparison between the two; I'm sure members would be willing to chip in to sponsor a back-to-back dyno.
the Vortech V3 is barely in it's efficiency stage on 8psi of boost. if we can up the boost we can surely run neck to neck with GTM but as of right now our TQ numbers are just low.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by jon1018
Stillen and Uprev has figured out the tune for the 7AT tranny and should be fine. you should contact Josh Biggers@Stillen for more info on that.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:40 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jon1018

they will tune the tranny ECU. but all that really does is increase the pressure and change the shift points a bit. I have the GTM SC with a 7AT and i have just taken the top 3 gears out. it will slip in 5th 6 th and 7th. A new tranny is 10800 in the states and 9200 in Canada. I found a used on for 4000 shipped from USA to Canada. My old Tranny will be going to GTM to be stripped down and cause of failure investigated. Then Sam will do what he can to upgrade the tranny to handel the power. So far noone has a ugrade kit for this tranny. I know cuz I have e-mail every tranny builder i could think of and some that other pointed me too. I don't think a simple tune will fix the issues with the extreamly small clutches in the upper gears. These will have to be replaced with different clutches. Just my 2 cents but trust me this is coming from a guy who is replacing his tranny as we speak. Sam at GTM did warn me about this issue and that is why i stopped at the 6 psi pulley on the system as the TQ was already at 350 ish. My driving style is hard on the tranny. I am not an off the line guy. When i floor it I am usually at 120-130km/h hiway cruzing. this is really hard on the tranny. asd it will only really drop to 6th and 5th rairly at these speeds. and this just allowes the TQ to just build up on these upper gears. There has been some that will say that the FX50 has the same tranny and just as much TQ. (I owen a FX50S too) I agree with this statment but have yet to see a dyno on where this TQ is at max i know from driving the FX that it ain't in the upper speeds/rpms.

Thats just some3 food for thought. If you driving style is different then mine you might be ok. But If i was going SC at this stage I would wait untill the 7at had some more options to upgrade it then we have out there now which is basically nothing.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:58 AM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Well put shumby.. Sorry you had to find this out the hard way!!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 AM
w0ady

sorry to hear about yours trans issues shumby, hopefully yours can get beefed up a bit. i dont think anyone expects a factory auto trans to last with f/i though without upgrades. hell i broke my stock trans without any power mods lol. and its actually $11500 just for the 7at.

Quick Reply: Stillen/GTM Supercharger Pros, Cons, and Questions