Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Mayu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOW, for those that care - I have officially switched over to 100% Synthetic Motul 300V 5W30 with my odometer at 18K. This is one heck of an expensive oil. I am lucky since I only dirve the car in the warmer months and of that mostly weekend jaunts with the fiancee. So, I do not have to change the oil as often.

Nevertheless, I will stay inbetween the recommended intervals (severe vs regular) and change every 5K. The reason I will NOT extend engine drain interval has mainly to do with the Oil Filter - apparently, these are not designed to last much longer than the interval allows for.

I will come back and let you know hwo the engine is doing. I want to do an oil analysis, but not sure where to get it done.

Also, I dont want to say it, since I am sure it is just in my head, but I could swear it revs with much more ease now!! Fingers crosssed!

PS, yep Redline used to be on of the big players... used to.

Cheers!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:36 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G_Thang
If you take a few minutes to read my technical posts you'll see what Im educated in. You may be educated, but I can tell your have little knowledge of cars and even less of the engineering behind them.
Nice comeback. Forgot to mention a minor in engineering mechanics, 25 years with a German sports car manufacturer and 10 years with an off-road SUV manufacturer. Also, a few race car designs and builds, including one which won a national championship, something which the Factory was never able to do.

Does challenging my background make yours appear a little better?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:25 PM
G_Thang

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by notalk
Nice comeback. Forgot to mention a minor in engineering mechanics, 25 years with a German sports car manufacturer and 10 years with an off-road SUV manufacturer. Also, a few race car designs and builds, including one which won a national championship, something which the Factory was never able to do.

Does challenging my background make yours appear a little better?

You forgot you were an engineer? LMFAO.. Its funny your all these things.. Economist, lawyer, CPA, engineer (which you forgot about), race car builder, German car this, off road SUV that.. yet you have the time to come onto a forum and make yourself look like a kid. So you designed a race car which won championships and a team of factory engineers couldn't do the same right?
Dude, Im an engineer working for the factory and can tell you we can do ANYTHING we want. We have nearly unlimited resources and money. How can you sit there even think you can compete with a Fortune 500 company? I'm not an impressionable kid, and your over the top BS is comical for the myself and the rest of the readers on this forum. I come on here to educate those that want to learn and ask the questions. I've wasted enough time talking to you "notalk'!! How bout you do as your username says!!!

Last edited by G_Thang; 03-16-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Mayu

Hmmm, I thought this was a forum to share "opinions" and "experience". Without unbiased opinions from 3rd party sources, we are at the mercy of nothing but speculation, hypothesis, marketing and engineers.

LOL j/k G_Thang... about the engineers. The other three are true. For example, I talked to Infiniti reps before buying my car and none mentioned creaks and rattles. Surprisingly, this only affects a few of the cars... wonder if that was "engineered" into the car!? Surprised it is not mentioned in the options area. I am sure I would have chosen the "No Creaky A-Pillar" option, but alas, i make due. So far, only the users on this forum have helped educate others new to the G or thinking of buying the G about some of these issues. Pretty sure an Infiniti engineer may NOT have mentioned a poorly designed a-pillar to you despite any level of interrogation you applied. Furthemore, I strongly doubt the engineer(s) responsible for this portion of the car, stayed up late one night and wondered how they were going to screw 30% of coupe buyers over. Sh!7 happens, we are human and make mistakes but we need to take it upon ourselves as consumers to share experience and not bash one-another for trying, asking or sharing.

I will not address anyone who opines over my opinions. Back to my one and only career...

Cheers!
Old 03-16-2009, 07:16 PM
goomba

Mobil 1 is not a true synthetic (its a group 3).

As for oil change interval, send a used oil sample in for analysis as that is really the only way to determine whether the oil is still good to go. Different engines like different oils. I.E. For example, tts well documented that Mobil + 2.5L Turbo from STI don't go well as Mobil 1 has been known to prematurely shear. The only way to tell how your engine is doing with an oil is via oil analysis at different intervals.

As others have said, there are many good oils out there. Pick your favorite and stick to your reasonable OCI.

The only thing that a 3k change interval is going to hurt is your wallet.

Oils that have overall favorable reviews and UOA results from bobistheoilguy.com: (feel free to add to the list)
1. Amsoil
2. Motul 300V
3. Redline
4. German Castrol Syntec 0W30 European Formula

Last edited by goomba; 03-16-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM
goomba

Originally Posted by Mayu
NOW, for those that care - I have officially switched over to 100% Synthetic Motul 300V 5W30 with my odometer at 18K. This is one heck of an expensive oil. I am lucky since I only dirve the car in the warmer months and of that mostly weekend jaunts with the fiancee. So, I do not have to change the oil as often.

Nevertheless, I will stay inbetween the recommended intervals (severe vs regular) and change every 5K. The reason I will NOT extend engine drain interval has mainly to do with the Oil Filter - apparently, these are not designed to last much longer than the interval allows for.

I will come back and let you know hwo the engine is doing. I want to do an oil analysis, but not sure where to get it done.

Also, I dont want to say it, since I am sure it is just in my head, but I could swear it revs with much more ease now!! Fingers crosssed!

PS, yep Redline used to be on of the big players... used to.

Cheers!
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ They will send you a free oil sample collection kit. Used Oil Analysis costs ~$22