Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:31 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
however, I've been using ZMAX with my focus forever, and I must say, that after I add it, you start to notice that engine runs quiter and smoother too after about 7 days (you can tell it by how the steering wheel vibrates). Recently, I had my transmission flushed and gasket removed and replaced at 107000 miles. A mechanic actually came out and complemented me on the condition of my auto transmission saying that he is beyond impressed with how clean it was inside. He said that I must take care of my car very well and usually if people don't, he said american cars break, especially fords. My brother had a focus too, we actually bought two cars the same day, both focuses back in 02. His didn't run as smoothly as mine. So I do not think that zmax is bad and I'll continue using it and let you know if it causes any problems (at which point I'll be screwed, lol).
Old 03-14-2009, 12:34 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G_Thang
Its relative. Economist call homes and machines investments, while financial economist call investments financial assetts.
Okay, I give, what's the difference between an economist and a financial economist?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:03 PM
G_Thang

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by notalk
Okay, I give, what's the difference between an economist and a financial economist?

Isn’t it obvious? Economist view the economy in its entirety, while a financial economist is more concerned with the allocation of money and trading there of.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:13 PM
TimsG37s

Thanks to everyone that actually had something positive to say on this thread. I think i'll stick with Mobile 1 every 5,000 - 7,500 miles.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Remo101

Ok, I have to pipe in here. Most cars are NOT investments. Unless, you are talking about collector cars. A car is a Depreciating Asset for you finance people.

I'm done.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:11 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by G_Thang
Isn’t it obvious? Economist view the economy in its entirety, while a financial economist is more concerned with the allocation of money and trading there of.
Sorry. A minor in economics, majors in accounting and real estate, being a CPA for over thirty years, a lawyer for almost thirty years, ten years as outside counsel to a joint Congressional committee dealing with financial and trade (i.e., economic) aspects of the automobile industry, and not once have I heard anyone refer to a financial economist or that such a distinction exists. Had you studied economics, you might have made a distinction between macro economics and micro economics. So again, sorry, but your home-made definition is not obvious to me.

P.S. The more you try to explain yourself, the more you will demonstrate you lack of knowledge on the subject.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:15 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by TimsG37s
Thanks to everyone that actually had something positive to say on this thread. I think i'll stick with Mobile 1 every 5,000 - 7,500 miles.
FWIW, and just so you know, the manual (which I suggested, although crudely, be read in the second post in this thread) calls for change intervals for most people of 3,750 miles. And, there's no lengthening of the interval for synthetic oil.

If you use a longer change interval, you run a risk of Infiniti denying you warranty coverage on engine related problems.

Your car, your choice.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:22 PM
G-ThirtySe7en

Originally Posted by delfin2003
however, I've been using ZMAX with my focus forever, and I must say, that after I add it, you start to notice that engine runs quiter and smoother too after about 7 days (you can tell it by how the steering wheel vibrates). Recently, I had my transmission flushed and gasket removed and replaced at 107000 miles. A mechanic actually came out and complemented me on the condition of my auto transmission saying that he is beyond impressed with how clean it was inside. He said that I must take care of my car very well and usually if people don't, he said american cars break, especially fords. My brother had a focus too, we actually bought two cars the same day, both focuses back in 02. His didn't run as smoothly as mine. So I do not think that zmax is bad and I'll continue using it and let you know if it causes any problems (at which point I'll be screwed, lol).
Originally Posted by delfin2003
f rtfm. I use sunthetic mobil 1. How often do you guys change your oil? Thanks a bunch who replied except the rtfm part ofcourse
So what is it, Sunthetic Mobil 1 or Z-max? I hope you're not doing both, cuz that sounds retarded. And BTW, too bad you don't RTFM, cuz you'd see Infiniti doesn't recommend oil additives.

And can someone please start another thread on economist crap cuz that talk is ridiculously off-topic and for teh ghey.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:36 PM
todd92

Manual calls for 7500 miles, except severe service, which includes the usual repeated short trips and dusty or salty roads. So most people do NOT fall under the 3750 mile severe service and will NOT run afoul of the warranty going to 7500 miles OCI with synthetic oil.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:06 PM
machinist

Lots of good info here and yet conflicting opinions on many things. And I love the **** match going on, which I find too funny. My question in light of all of this is simply to determine what the top 2-3 oil brands are when I go in for my first oil change? I'm at 4,000 km right now and believe I should be coming up for an oil change around 7500. I just basically need a quick grocery list of the top 1-2 brands I should buy. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:26 PM
notalk

Originally Posted by todd92
Manual calls for 7500 miles, except severe service, which includes the usual repeated short trips and dusty or salty roads. So most people do NOT fall under the 3750 mile severe service and will NOT run afoul of the warranty going to 7500 miles OCI with synthetic oil.
Normally, I agree with todd92, but, from the 2008 G37 Service and Maintenance booklet (page 7):

"Generally, Schedule 2 (7,500 service intervals) applies only to highway driving in temperate conditions."

The "hook" for Schedule 1 (3,750 service intervals), in addition to the above 7,500 mile "generality", is "Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or lowspeed driving for long distances". Per Nissan North America legal department, city traffic driving in summer constitutes stop-and- go traffic in hot weather, and urban freeway driving at 55 mph for 10 or miles can constitute lowspeed driving for long disances.

It's up to each individual owner whether, if they have some sort of engine related problem, they want to get into a warranty dispute with Infiniti (noting the booklet specifically says, generally, 7,500 mile change intervals applies only to highway driving in temperate conditions).
Old 03-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Budakai

Two months or every 4000 miles. Use mobile 1 Full Syn and a STP oil filter, your car will run like a dream. Hey don't forget to top off your coolant.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:29 PM
todd92

Normally, I agree with todd92, but, from the 2008 G37 Service and Maintenance booklet (page 7):

"Generally, Schedule 2 (7,500 service intervals) applies only to highway driving in temperate conditions."

The "hook" for Schedule 1 (3,750 service intervals), in addition to the above 7,500 mile "generality", is "Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or lowspeed driving for long distances". Per Nissan North America legal department, city traffic driving in summer constitutes stop-and- go traffic in hot weather, and urban freeway driving at 55 mph for 10 or miles can constitute lowspeed driving for long disances.

It's up to each individual owner whether, if they have some sort of engine related problem, they want to get into a warranty dispute with Infiniti (noting the booklet specifically says, generally, 7,500 mile change intervals applies only to highway driving in temperate conditions).
I would love to see that on Nissan letterhead.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:47 PM
machinist

Originally Posted by Budakai
Two months or every 4000 miles. Use mobile 1 Full Syn and a STP oil filter, your car will run like a dream. Hey don't forget to top off your coolant.
Sweet! Thanks for the info
Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM
G_Thang

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had you studied economics, you might have made a distinction between macro economics and micro economics. So again, sorry, but your home-made definition is not obvious to me.

P.S. The more you try to explain yourself, the more you will demonstrate you lack of knowledge on the subject.

If you take a few minutes to read my technical posts you'll see what Im educated in. You may be educated, but I can tell your have little knowledge of cars and even less of the engineering behind them.

Last edited by G_Thang; 03-15-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Change