D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

My first diy job! But have a question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 08:45 AM
cyberone28

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first diy job! But have a question

Hi all, just did my first transmission and differential fluid change on my g37s MT.
I read that I need to buy 3 quarts for tranny and 2 for differential..

Thing is when I did my differential oil change it started dripping at about 1.5 which is expected,
But my transmission took all 3 quarts and didn't drip a drop.... You guys think I need a little more than that?

I put " redline 75w85 MT-85 synthetic"

Weird thing is when I was finish I heard a noise coming from the transmission, when I pressed the clutch in, noise went away.. When I release it, noise came back..
I drove around and somehow this morning was fine.. Weird I guess.. Because didn't have that noise before oil change.

Once again thanks a million
Dealer wanted to charge me $580 for both.....
Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Thirty_Seven

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by cyberone28
Hi all, just did my first transmission and differential fluid change on my g37s MT.
I read that I need to buy 3 quarts for tranny and 2 for differential..

Thing is when I did my differential oil change it started dripping at about 1.5 which is expected,
But my transmission took all 3 quarts and didn't drip a drop.... You guys think I need a little more than that?

I put " redline 75w85 MT-85 synthetic"

Weird thing is when I was finish I heard a noise coming from the transmission, when I pressed the clutch in, noise went away.. When I release it, noise came back..
I drove around and somehow this morning was fine.. Weird I guess.. Because didn't have that noise before oil change.

Once again thanks a million
Dealer wanted to charge me $580 for both.....
Realistically the capacity of the tranny is like 3.1 quarts but most people only buy 3 because another quart is expensive and you usually don't get all of the old fluid out anyway. I bought 4 just to be safe and I barely used any of it, but honestly if I were you, I'd get another one and put the rest in.

If the noise you're hearing is like a woo-woo-woo-woo noise that stops when the clutch is in, that's normal. Some people describe the sound like a cement mixer, there's a bunch of threads about it. Most people believe it's the noise of the input shaft bearing or the throw out bearing but almost all of our cars have it so it's not a big deal, maybe you never noticed it before.

Or it's a different noise and I have no clue what I'm talking about haha
Old 09-23-2015, 01:56 PM
cyberone28

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes that's the type of sound I heard, guess I heard it because i was in the garage at night time.. And this morning I didn't notice it to be honest.. Shifting it's a lot different now really impressed =), specially reverse, before going from 1st to reverse I had to double or triple push the clutch.. =)
Guess I'll stay with the 3 quarts of tranny oil, hope it won't affect anything..
BTW differential oil was really dirty...
Guess I'll do another oil change in around 20k miles. Or less..