Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Do we have a low oil light warning for our vehicles???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Oh My G 523

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do we have a low oil light warning for our vehicles???

I just decided to check my oil randomly, I'm not do for an oil change for another 1k. But when I checked the dip stick read low right at the lowest line. Of course I'm praying nothing has been hurt. Car hasn't acted or driven differently at all. But I'm just curious why wouldn't a light hasnt popped up letting me know if it was that low?

Last edited by Oh My G 523; 09-23-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:29 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
I don't believe our cars have a low oil light indicator. There is a low oil pressure light though. I suspect by the time it comes on, damage has already been done. Everyone should check their oil at least every few weeks or every other fillup.

It's been ~2700 miles and almost 4 months since my last oil change. To date, about 1/3 qt of oil has been consumed. Normally I get even less consumption but some of those 2700 miles have been with the engine at higher rpm and more load. It's going to be another month before the next oil change so i'll just top it off for now (for peace of mind).

Anywhere in between the full and low mark is considered safe operating range. If you're at the low mark, you should top it off.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:25 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
My G likes to drink a little oil. About a 1/2 to a full quart in between every fully synthetic oil change, 5,000 miles.

I drive fairly aggressively, high rpms etc, combined with the high heat, I am not really surprised.

Just have to keep your eye on the oil level. I check all my fluid levels about every week.

I notice the dealership really fills up the engine with oil for the oil change to compensate for the fact that Gs like to consume oil.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Both our Gs (total of 175k between them) and NO oil consumption, driven pretty hard too. I'd be a bit concerned WillCo w/ up to a quart burned between changes, but at least you're keeping close tabs.

As far as an oil light, like mentioned, by the time that light flashes more than likely some damage has been done.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:14 PM
WillCo1
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Both our Gs (total of 175k between them) and NO oil consumption, driven pretty hard too. I'd be a bit concerned WillCo w/ up to a quart burned between changes, but at least you're keeping close tabs.

As far as an oil light, like mentioned, by the time that light flashes more than likely some damage has been done.
Might not be that much.

I keep a quart in the trunk and add every couple months or so when it falls below full.

I like to keep the oil level above about 3/4 on the dipstick.

The full quart could have lasted a couple oil changes in the trunk.

Do you use Mobil 1? I have heard that for whatever reason Gs consume Mobil 1 fully synthetic a bit more than other vehicles.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:21 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Oh My G 523
I just decided to check my oil randomly, I'm not do for an oil change for another 1k. But when I checked the dip stick read low right at the lowest line. Of course I'm praying nothing has been hurt. Car hasn't acted or driven differently at all. But I'm just curious why wouldn't a light hasnt popped up letting me know if it was that low?
If you could see any oil on the dipstick, it didnt get low enough to hurt anything.

The oil light on cars is for low oil pressure, not low oil level. To measure oil level you use the dipstick when the car is off.

You know how when you go to the gas station ot takes a few minutes fo the pump to fill your car? Instead of standing there watching your money tick away, check your tire pressure and dipstick.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:09 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Better yet, check your oil level first thing in the morning before you start up. The oil level reads more accurately when the oil has been sitting in the sump overnight (on a level surface).
Old 09-23-2015, 11:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by WillCo1
Might not be that much.

I keep a quart in the trunk and add every couple months or so when it falls below full.

I like to keep the oil level above about 3/4 on the dipstick.

The full quart could have lasted a couple oil changes in the trunk.

Do you use Mobil 1? I have heard that for whatever reason Gs consume Mobil 1 fully synthetic a bit more than other vehicles.
Used M1 on our G35, have used Pennz Platinum primarily on our G37.
Like I said, at least you're on top of checking it regularly. You might want to send a sample to Blackstone though (if you haven't had a used oil analysis).
Old 09-23-2015, 11:57 PM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Take it from me, the low oil light is worthless. It will only come on after no oil passes over the sensor. By then the damage has already occurred. In my case, I spun a bearing and the light never came on. I was low on oil and had been consuming it. 07-2010 G sedans are notorious for blowing a paper gasket behind the front cover, losing oil pressure and causing damage to the engine. The car doesn't come with an oil pressure gauge either. It's a lovely combination of oversight from Nissan/Infiniti.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Oh My G 523

Thank you everyone

Thanks everyone for the info. It's not like me not to check my fluids, of course the first time I don't I get caught with my pants down. So far I have had no light indicator of any tapping or pinging of the motor. My RPMs have been normal and the car felt normal as well prior. I have topped off my oil and will do an oil change this weekend. All fingers crossed I dodge a big bullet, thanks again.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:59 AM
Oh My G 523

So our Gs have neither indicator? So once ****
Hits the fan that's pretty much it? I find that hard to swallow being as our cars are in the luxury class to not have such a simple indicator. But hopefully I caught it before things went down hill.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:02 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Good to know. I had no idea some of the G's consume a bit of oil. I will keep an eye on it, but so far so good. So far the only fluid my car has consumed is brake fluid thanks to my tech mistakingly not tightening one of my brake lines all they way. Whoops!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:35 AM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
I agree with a lot of the guys here - check your oil weekly to help avoid issues... Call me crazy, but when I get home from driving and park my car in the garage, I open up the hood to release the heat from the engine bay, so if I have to check the oil I can since it's right there and the hood is already open

On my old Benz's (can't remember if it was the 04 CLK or 07 E class), it had NO oil dipstick, so checking oil level was rather unique - park on a level ground, select the menu for oil level and then the car gives you a visual of your oil level....that would be nice on our G!!!
Old 09-24-2015, 12:40 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmura
Better yet, check your oil level first thing in the morning before you start up. The oil level reads more accurately when the oil has been sitting in the sump overnight (on a level surface).
With a modern engine and light weight oils, by the time you start pumping your gas, pop the hood and check the stick, the difference will be negligible. If you're trying to figue out precisely how much you should top off to get right to the H mark, sure, do it in the morning. If you're just checking to make sure you're not low, 2 minutes is plenty.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:11 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
"""Call me crazy, but when I get home from driving and park my car in the garage, I open up the hood to release the heat from the engine bay"""

Ok..you're Crazy
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (09-28-2015)