Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Did My First Oil Change Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:30 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Whats wrong with the 20-minute oil change? Its ALL THE SAME! I was one of those "Its gotta be Synthetic" people but as soon as I realized it did nothing but SLOW my car down and cost twice as much, I gave it up and just changed my oil sooner than later. Remember 90% of engine damage happens within the first few miles of your drive, let the car and oil get to temperature before you go flying down the highway and you'll be good! O yeh how's the dipstick on the G37, the G35 had a terrible design so its really impossible to tell.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Whats wrong with the 20-minute oil change? Its ALL THE SAME! I was one of those "Its gotta be Synthetic" people but as soon as I realized it did nothing but SLOW my car down and cost twice as much, I gave it up and just changed my oil sooner than later. Remember 90% of engine damage happens within the first few miles of your drive, let the car and oil get to temperature before you go flying down the highway and you'll be good! O yeh how's the dipstick on the G37, the G35 had a terrible design so its really impossible to tell.
Many Jiffy Lubes and 20 minutes oil changes places use recycled oil. It's just cleaned with some additives. In my opinion, you get what you pay for.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:30 PM
WasabiPossum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Questions Help

Everybody seems to have endless "Oil Questions" on every car user forum in existence, many forever searching for the "best erl", some magic answers, etc.

See here for almost anything you might want to know about the slippery stuff that's in every car's innards:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old 11-14-2007, 10:27 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WasabiPossum
Everybody seems to have endless "Oil Questions" on every car user forum in existence, many forever searching for the "best erl", some magic answers, etc.

See here for almost anything you might want to know about the slippery stuff that's in every car's innards:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Yes please stop the oil debate it never goes anywhere same as 6MT vs. 5AT
Old 11-15-2007, 04:33 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blackjack
Many Jiffy Lubes and 20 minutes oil changes places use recycled oil. It's just cleaned with some additives. In my opinion, you get what you pay for.
yeah good point...its proven that synthetics like amsoil and Mobil 1 are made of more stable equally sized particles that bind to the engine, lube better, help there be less friction and less heat in the engine, etc. Even Royal Purple has done test to show that their oil has the engine running at cooler temps, cold starts are smoother, few more HP when switched to Synthetic at later mileages, etc...etc
Old 11-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Motor25

Originally Posted by dmkozak
There are plenty of articles all over the web about the molecular differences between the oils. But, to simply answer your question, pretty much every oil company engineer will tell you synthetic oil will hold contaminants in the center of the oil molecule, away from the edge and away from the contaminant doing any damage. Conventional oils do not have this ability. That is the reason oil companies say synthetics "flow" better and use of a synthetic oil will lead to less internal wear.

Concerning your used oil analysis, please contact the companies who perform oil analyses. They will show you what they have learned.
I'm not convinced. Links to said articles?

Also, I've seen used oil analyses printouts for conventional oil and for short oil change intervals, they perform just as well as synthetic.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Motor25

Originally Posted by Tarkus
I would rather run synth for longer intervals than dino on shorter intervals. Plus there's not as much waste and time spent under the car. Been doing my own oil changes for years and we have a tribologist in the family.
I would stay away from Purolator filters. And Fram. Search oil filter tests and read for yourself. That before someone says 'prove it'. Often times, OEM filters are the best option.
OEM Nissan filters suck. Here's a link to my thread about OEM oil filters:

LINK
Old 11-15-2007, 06:09 PM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
yeah good point...its proven that synthetics like amsoil and Mobil 1 are made of more stable equally sized particles that bind to the engine, lube better, help there be less friction and less heat in the engine, etc. Even Royal Purple has done test to show that their oil has the engine running at cooler temps, cold starts are smoother, few more HP when switched to Synthetic at later mileages, etc...etc
It's not fair to put Mobil 1 in the same class as Amsoil or Royal Purple any more. Mobil switched its Mobil 1 base stock to a petroleum base about a year and a half ago.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:49 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ya that panel really makes a simple oil change more time consuming for sure...
Old 11-16-2007, 12:36 AM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by Tarkus
I would rather run synth for longer intervals than dino on shorter intervals. Plus there's not as much waste and time spent under the car. Been doing my own oil changes for years and we have a tribologist in the family.
I would stay away from Purolator filters. And Fram. Search oil filter tests and read for yourself. That before someone says 'prove it'. Often times, OEM filters are the best option.

I am not trying to be contrary, or a jerk or someone just trying to **** you off. But, I found a few oil filter tests on the net and I didn't find anything that would cause me to stay away from Purolator. I did find one site which noted Purolator ties a string around the pleated filter to keep the pleats in line and one filter had the string dig into, but not tear, the pleats. That was the worst I found. On the other hand, most tests said the Purolator anti-drainback valve was good.

What am I missing in that you recommend staying away from Purolator? It seems the Purolator One at less than $5 a filter with the synthetic filtering element seems a pretty good buy.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:05 PM
3des

I plan on following the MFR's guidance on break-in and change intervals for the first few thousand miles then I'll start sending samples to Blackstone for detailed analysis. They can tell you if you should lengthen/ shorten your intervals and how your motor wears running any given lubricant (dino vs syn). blackstone-labs.com
Old 11-23-2007, 04:35 PM
csdstudio

Isn't 0w-30 the same weight as 5w-30 but flows better when it's really cold? I'm curious because my car will see -30 degree mornings occasionally all winter long. That's 70 degrees colder than it is right now at 40 degees. BRRRR.

Last edited by csdstudio; 11-23-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:11 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i only use 5w-30 and it will stay at -30 to -40 C here for weeks at a time. I also always plugmy car in. thats a block heater for you people that dont know what that cord is neer the drivers headlight under the hood. lol
Man i need to move to SoCal