Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Did My First Oil Change Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Motor25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did My First Oil Change Today

I got off of work early today so I figured I'd go ahead and do the first oil change on my G37.

My car hit 1200 miles today and still had the factory oil/filter. I also did a hard break-in.

It took longer than expected because I had to take off the plastic engine cover from underneath the car that was held in place by (16) 10mm bolts and (3) panel clips

Other than that, it was pretty easy changing the oil on the G. The oil filter and the oil pan bolt were pretty accessible once the cover was removed. Wasn't very messy at all.

I used a SuperTech oil filter and 5 1/8 qts of Valvoline 5w-30 conventional oil. I got both from the local Wal-Mart.

I'm going to change my oil again when I hit 3750 miles, and then every 3750 miles after that, using conventional oil and probably a Purolator oil filter. I'm also starting a maintenance log and saving receipts for any oil/filters that I use.

And to all the synthetic oil nuthuggers, there's really no point in using synthetic oil if I'll be changing every 3750 miles anyway IMHO

I do my own oil changes rather than taking it to the dealer or paying some yahoo at the JiffyLube to do it.

Besides the savings of doing it myself, it's a peace of mind thing. I know it's done right and just the way I want it done. I don't trust mechanics with my baby

Happy motoring!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:01 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You did an oil change at 1120 already? I thought it was better to keep the factory oil running through your car for a certain amount of miles before doing any oil change.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:21 AM
InfinitiFreak

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
You did an oil change at 1120 already? I thought it was better to keep the factory oil running through your car for a certain amount of miles before doing any oil change.
People have different views of when it is best to do the first oil change. Whether you change it early or at the recommended interval, it won't hurt anything.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Motor25

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
I've never seen any solid proof that that's true

Until then, I'm going to keep doing what I do
Old 11-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll be using Royal Purple beginning at 3750.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:25 PM
dmkozak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Motor25
there's really no point in using synthetic oil if I'll be changing every 3750 miles anyway IMHO
You might want to do a little research on the benefits/differences between convention, semi-synthetic and full synthetic oils. You will see there are difference and "points". They may not be important to you or worth your money. But, there are "points" in using full synthetic or semi-synthetic oil even with 3,750 mile change intervals.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:54 PM
DetroitG37Joe

I plan on doing my first oil change @ 3750 mi...im at 1100...I want to do a high end petroleum motor oil (i am changing every 3750 miles anyway) and either a top end purolator or Mobil 1 filter....

Can you guys give me some input as to....

What motor oil(s) is(are) best? (eg different tiers of valvoline, pennzoil, castrol, etc etc.)

Also I live in Michigan where we have 4 seasons and what weights of woil do we use and when...Like 5w-30 vs 10w-30 etc?

Please let me know....

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 11-14-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Motor25

Originally Posted by dmkozak
You might want to do a little research on the benefits/differences between convention, semi-synthetic and full synthetic oils. You will see there are difference and "points". They may not be important to you or worth your money. But, there are "points" in using full synthetic or semi-synthetic oil even with 3,750 mile change intervals.
Prove it.

Show me solid proof like used oil analyses of conventional vs synthetic.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
I plan on doing my first oil change @ 3750 mi...im at 1100...I want to do a high end petroleum motor oil (i am changing every 3750 miles anyway) and either a top end purolator or Mobil 1 filter....

Can you guys give me some input as to....

What motor oil(s) is(are) best? (eg different tiers of valvoline, pennzoil, castrol, etc etc.)

Also I live in Michigan where we have 4 seasons and what weights of woil do we use and when...Like 5w-30 vs 10w-30 etc?

Please let me know....
It's really a preference... Always a hot topic. Studies and research never come back the same.

I plan on using either Royal Purple or Amsoil in my G37 (both full synthetic)... I've heard top reviews on both. I used Mobil 1 synthetic in my 05 G35 and was very pleased with it (with Mobil 1 Filter).

Filter wise, I'll probably use the Amsoil EaO Filter. The tough thing is that Amsoil and Royal Purple are tough to find at retailers.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:00 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Ok nice info. AMSoil seems tight....What about oil weights? Which to get based on climate? 5w, 10w, etc etc
Old 11-14-2007, 04:04 PM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by Motor25
Prove it.

Show me solid proof like used oil analyses of conventional vs synthetic.
There are plenty of articles all over the web about the molecular differences between the oils. But, to simply answer your question, pretty much every oil company engineer will tell you synthetic oil will hold contaminants in the center of the oil molecule, away from the edge and away from the contaminant doing any damage. Conventional oils do not have this ability. That is the reason oil companies say synthetics "flow" better and use of a synthetic oil will lead to less internal wear.

Concerning your used oil analysis, please contact the companies who perform oil analyses. They will show you what they have learned.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 PM
dmkozak

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
What about oil weights? Which to get based on climate? 5w, 10w, etc etc
FWIW, I live in Phoenix. I was using a 5W-40 full synthetic in a car which called for 5W-40. I asked a friend who is an oil company engineer if I should use 5W-40 in the G37. He said, simply, no. Nissan designed everything for a 5W-30 and even in Phoenix summers I should stick with 5W-30. He did suggest that even with the "short" 3,750 mile change intervals I would realize the benefits of a semi-synthetic especially in the Phoenix summers.

Oil company engineers will tell you never use a higher number at either end of the suggested weights. In other words, Nissan specifies 5W-30 for the G37. Do not use a 10W-30 or a 5W-40. Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:33 PM
DetroitG37Joe

So 5w-30 is recommended whethere rain or shine, 100 or 25 degrees out? Okie...I will probably go with that then. 5w-30 AMSoil or Mobil 1 synthetic...with Mobil 1 or high end Purolator Filter.....Don't some peopel say that it's better to do 2-3 conventional motor oil changes first to break in the oil system and all before introduced the more slippery and "better flowing" synthetic? Is that a myth or true? Because if it's a myth I would love to get synthetic AMSoil or Mobile 1 in her right away at the first 3750 change...

Unless anyone has anything else to add....?

The Purolator PureOne seems to be a solid Oil Filter & top of the line, might as well pay a few bucks more than what the premium plus costs...98% filtration
PART NUMBER: PL14612 if anyone is interested....

I cant find that Mobil 1 makes an oil filter for the G35/G37 (which I am pretty sure is the same filter size)

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 11-14-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Tarkus

I would rather run synth for longer intervals than dino on shorter intervals. Plus there's not as much waste and time spent under the car. Been doing my own oil changes for years and we have a tribologist in the family.
I would stay away from Purolator filters. And Fram. Search oil filter tests and read for yourself. That before someone says 'prove it'. Often times, OEM filters are the best option.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:50 PM
DetroitG37Joe

My consensus is this...

Royal Purple, AMSoil, or Mobil 1 synthetic oils with either a Mobil 1, Napa Gold, Wix, or Purolator PureOne oil filter or is a GREAT matchup for our G's....

For all you synthetic, engine efficiency longetivity nuts out there....All you leasers probably will go to some 20-minute oil change or dealership Im guessing....

Quick Reply: Did My First Oil Change Today