swift springs too stiff; will new shocks/struts help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:25 PM
chris_s

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
swift springs too stiff; will new shocks/struts help?

I put on swift springs 2 years ago and I think I've had enough of the constant BANG BANG BANG of driving down the third world roads here in Winnipeg.

My car is just under 100k miles, and I doubt the dampers have been changed so I got a new set of KYB's (haven't installed yet)

I really like the ride height of my car, but like I said above, the stiffness is getting to me. Could blown shocks be contributing to a stiff ride?

I don't want to have to pay to change the shocks then pay again to change the springs if I'm not happy with the ride

Anyone have ideas for getting a bit lower on stock-ish spring rates?

thanks!
Old 09-08-2015, 03:31 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
If your car is "banging" it sounds like your shocks are toast if your roads are 3rd world eh?
Does it bounce? If you press down on the front or rear fenders and there is more than one cycle up and down then they are "blown". It sounds more like they have leaked enough oil out to be ineffective or have bad valves, "blown".
If you install the struts its going to feel more stiff especially if the old ones are leaking or bad.
I'm sure if you want to sell your springs people here will buy them swiftly...
Old 09-08-2015, 03:37 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by m3clubracer
If your car is "banging" it sounds like your shocks are toast if your roads are 3rd world eh?
Does it bounce? If you press down on the front or rear fenders and there is more than one cycle up and down then they are "blown". It sounds more like they have leaked enough oil out to be ineffective or have bad valves, "blown".
If you install the struts its going to feel more stiff especially if the old ones are leaking or bad.
I'm sure if you want to sell your springs people here will buy them swiftly...
Agreed. Suspension banging (more than likely your shocks and struts bottoming out) is a separate issue than the springs being too stiff. Anytime you lower a car on springs with stock struts/shocks you're going to reduce the life of them as they're designed travel is based on the height of the stock springs. You'll always have this issue with drop springs on the stock struts / shocks. Replacing them with your KYB's will definitely help, but you'll be in this same boat in a couple of years once the KYB's wear out. Keep in mind that shocks and struts are a wear and tear part so they're going to go bad over time even on the stock springs.