Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 08:58 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
I'm not mad at all. As you've said, these things are so subjective and everyone's setup is a little bit different. Certain sounds and vibrations are good to one person, and bad to another. And I'm really not even "complaining" about the mount; like I said I love the feel of it. I just think my exhaust is too mellow for it.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Furlow
I'm not mad at all. As you've said, these things are so subjective and everyone's setup is a little bit different. Certain sounds and vibrations are good to one person, and bad to another. And I'm really not even "complaining" about the mount; like I said I love the feel of it. I just think my exhaust is too mellow for it.
Two of the feature in the Jaguar F-Type S (and R) are the ability to change up the exhaust tone, and change up the suspension firmness, with a couple of simple switches. You can drive around quiet and classy, windows up and Santana on the radio. Or you can choose to go ***** to the walls racecar and blast some AC/DC.

Point being, it's nice to be able to turn it on and off to suit your mood. So I understand why "always on" can get under your skin. Last year, there were a few moments when I was feeling that way about my Fast Intentions exhaust.

But just a few. I got over it. I really like where my car is at, and that's what's important, because it's my car. You do what you need to do to enjoy your car, Furlow.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:07 PM
Furlow

Sounds like a great car! On/off for stuff like this would be great.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:12 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm kind of surprised you're keeping that standoff at 2" extension. All things like this being subjective, it looks just as goofy 1" higher than stock as it does 1" lower than stock. If you wanted to keep the height, you could use a smaller ****.

Have you seen Falker11's new shift ****? It's gorgeous in the pics. Looking forward to seeing it in August.
Thankfully, I'm mostly looking at the shift **** from the top, so the 1" height increase makes no difference to me in terms of looks. The important thing is the height feels right, so I'll stick with it for now.

I haven't found an aftermarket shift **** that I like more than the OEM ****. I think Infiniti hit the nail on the head with this design.

You know that plastic disc that came on the shifter? It's supported on the shaft by 3 rubber rings on each side. If put 5 of them under the disc, and one above it, that should be enough to keep it fixed on the shaft and keep the boot pushed up to wherever you want it to be. If not those rubber rings, you can figure something out, I'm sure. I think that's what the disc is for... at least, that's how I'm using it.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that out.

I'm impressed by your DIY install on the shifter, without access to a lift. Heck, Liam, I've been impressed by your car all around since I first saw it last year. Only getting better, too, it seems. Looking forward to seeing it again this summer. And you too, I guess.
Awww, thanks Grandpa. That means a lot. I do what I can. And I'm looking forward to seeing your gaudy muffler canisters in person

Really? I swear, I haven't noticed that. Then again, I don't have the spindly arms of a 10 year old girl.
Is your shift **** weighted and if so, do you know how much it weighs? I was surprised at the weight of the OEM ****; it had some pretty good weight to it. According to TWM, heavier shift ***** help in decreasing shifting effort due to the added kinetic energy they carry when set in motion.

Or maybe I am just a weakling.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by PG-v36_6MT
Is your shift **** weighted and if so, do you know how much it weighs? I was surprised at the weight of the OEM ****; it had some pretty good weight to it. According to TWM, heavier shift ***** help in decreasing shifting effort due to the added kinetic energy they carry when set in motion.
Feels about the same weight as the OEM ****. And you're right, the OEM **** is surprisingly hefty, I noticed that, too. My LatheWerks **** is actually lighter than you would guess when looking at it, because titanium. I'm sure it would have more heft if it were SS. Although now that I've got that stand-off inside it, I suppose it does have a SS core, of a sort... so there's a couple grams right there, LOL.

Have you handled that Tommy Kaira shift ****? It's a little thing, and yet that turtle is a brick. Must have a core made out of Adamantium.

Or maybe I am just a weakling.
That's probably it.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-02-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:06 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Looks like I'll be adding the Z1 mount soon, thanks to Furlow

Next up: RJM pedal

After that.....I might revisit the shift **** since Rochester got LatheWerks to come up with an adapter. I'm currently running a 370Z ****, which is the same shape/design, but oh-so-slightly larger.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:21 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Looks like I'll be adding the Z1 mount soon, thanks to Furlow

Next up: RJM pedal

After that.....I might revisit the shift **** since Rochester got LatheWerks to come up with an adapter. I'm currently running a 370Z ****, which is the same shape/design, but oh-so-slightly larger.
Lego....favor to ask if your willing and able of course....wanted to see if you could maybe do a DIY on the RJM pedal or worse case I guess take some random pics throughout the process and maybe put up some tips. Unless your paying to have it installed? I've been eyeballing the pedal for a few weeks now, thanks
Old 06-02-2016, 07:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

If you're thinking of engaging LatheWerks for this project, consider getting a whole new **** from him, but where the inner threads are 3/4" less deep than typical. That would solve the height problem, too.

Either way, I recommend getting the STS in the car first, and then assess the **** position second. It certainly helps scoping things out ahead of time, knowing your options. But your interpretation on the need might be different because of your Z ****.

Let's see of pic of that again.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:29 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Lego....favor to ask if your willing and able of course....wanted to see if you could maybe do a DIY on the RJM pedal or worse case I guess take some random pics throughout the process and maybe put up some tips. Unless your paying to have it installed? I've been eyeballing the pedal for a few weeks now, thanks
I'm pretty sure it comes with detailed instructions--maybe Rochester can chime in--and there is a DIY on the 370 board. But if not, I can try and do a DIY as I'll be DIY'ing it.

If you're thinking of engaging LatheWerks for this project, consider getting a whole new **** from him, but where the inner threads are 3/4" less deep than typical. That would solve the height problem, too.
IDK if that would work on the **** I want.

I had the same **** on my Legacy GT and loved it.

First things first though....mount, then pedal
Old 06-02-2016, 07:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm pretty sure it comes with detailed instructions--maybe Rochester can chime in--and there is a DIY on the 370 board.
I've a Canadian friend who installed the RJM Pedal for me in my garage. He's a mechanic, and has been modding Nissans for a while now. Plus, he's young and far more flexible than these old bones. We didn't even remove the driver's seat.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-assembly.html

IDK if that would work on the **** I want.

Look like it would. We're really only talking about a 3/4" difference. The custom stand-off creates a 1" extension.

So much effort for such a subjective consideration... I'm laughing about it all, yet that's what we do. It's all good.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-02-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:07 AM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
@Lego, do you have the Rev 3 RJM pedal? I heard the latest version cuts installation time considerably because the entire pedal assembly comes pre-assembled.

Also, Ryan redesigned the switch mounts which makes it so much easier to adjust. That was probably the most painstaking part of the install for me, was adjusting the switches.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:40 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

@Lego, do you have the Rev 3 RJM pedal? I heard the latest version cuts installation time considerably because the entire pedal assembly comes pre-assembled.

Also, Ryan redesigned the switch mounts which makes it so much easier to adjust. That was probably the most painstaking part of the install for me, was adjusting the switches.
I haven't ordered it yet, but I think he's only shipping v3 now
Old 06-02-2016, 12:47 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
i wanted the mount specifically because I have the tanabe axle back and I wanted more noise out of it. that it provided perfectly and it still does. it is completely silent above 40-50mph and non existent on the freeway.

I just can't get over the feeling that it makes my car feel more fragile and that bugs me very much.

for *****, I found locally a hybrid spooky from TWM that was scratched to hell. $12 worth of sandpaper and turtle wax and about 2 hours of time in front of Netflix I can now shave in the damn thing. the 275 grams worth of shift **** is AMAZING. highly recommend for those saying their shifting efforts are more difficult now.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:14 PM
Furlow

Originally Posted by IracknBack
i wanted the mount specifically because I have the tanabe axle back and I wanted more noise out of it. that it provided perfectly and it still does. it is completely silent above 40-50mph and non existent on the freeway.

I just can't get over the feeling that it makes my car feel more fragile and that bugs me very much.
I have the Tanabe axle-backs as well, and I think this is just too mild of a set up for the Z-1 mount. It drowns out the exhaust tone and makes the car feel less "solid." It's not a bad sound, it's just always THERE, while the other sounds are more toned down.

With the mount off though, I was back to feeling like something was missing. So I just took my car to the shop that did my exhaust (2.25" custom piping from the cats and 22" resonators into the Tanabe's), and had them take out the resonators. So now I'm 2.25" straight through to the Tanabe's and so far I'm loving it. A little bit of rasp/crackle/popping on acceleration (which I like) and I can actually hear my downshifts now. Absolutely zero drone when cruising. So this allows the "on/off" capability that the Z-1 lacked.

I'm still very curious to see what Lego_Maniac says once he has the mount on his car. Seems like there is a pretty big difference in opinion from those of us who've tried it.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Oh, I get it now, Furlow. If I'm reading this right, then a contributing reason for why I'm OK with the mount is because my 2.5" FI exhaust is hella-loud to begin with. Can't really argue with that... it makes sense.

And that's some out-of-the-box thinking, having your shop drop the resonators. Glad you found what you were looking for.

Originally Posted by Furlow
I'm still very curious to see what Lego_Maniac says once he has the mount on his car. Seems like there is a pretty big difference in opinion from those of us who've tried it.
AFAIK, the Invidia catback doesn't have a rep for being loud, and he still has stock cats. That, and Lego is extremely particular... so it's anybody's guess.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-02-2016 at 02:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Review TWM Short Throw Shifter (STS) and Z1 Transmission Mount