D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: G37 Automatic Transmission Fluid Change, Pan Drop/Clean

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 12:13 AM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I checked underneath the car and the fluid is draining through the hole where the broken screw is :/ thats after only 2 hours
Old 12-03-2017, 12:42 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
The difference is probably what you lost on the ground. Either way, the point is moot since you need to get the broken bolt fixed.

I'd probably try a very small dremel grinding bit to try and remove the ez out, but if you're not confident, take it to a professional

Last edited by Victory; 12-03-2017 at 01:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dan G37 (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Victory
The difference is probably what you lost on the ground. Either way, the point is moot since you need to get the broken bolt fixed.

I'd probably try a very small dremel grinding bit to try and remove the ez out, but if you're not confident, take it to a professional
Plan on taking it ti the shop, should i refill it once more before taking it to the shop since in losing some atf?
Old 12-03-2017, 11:21 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sorry to hear you're still having issues Dan, got a couple questions~

You said you broke one bolt but were able to extract that one, but broke another one that you snapped the extractor in. Did you replace that one broken bolt?

Were the bolts you snapped the first ones you over-torqued, or did you get quite a few tightened prior?

Did you loosen any over-torqued bolts and re-torqued them at a lighter setting?

If you did back off the torque and re-tightened them the gasket may be more prone to leaking, especially in that area where the bolt is missing.

Ideally, removing the broken bolt, replacing all the bolts and gasket is what I would do at this point. It's a pain for sure, but if you plan on keeping this car for a long time for peace of mind alone, it would be worth it IMO.
Dan G37 (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 01:18 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Sorry to hear you're still having issues Dan, got a couple questions~

You said you broke one bolt but were able to extract that one, but broke another one that you snapped the extractor in. Did you replace that one broken bolt?

Were the bolts you snapped the first ones you over-torqued, or did you get quite a few tightened prior?

Did you loosen any over-torqued bolts and re-torqued them at a lighter setting?

If you did back off the torque and re-tightened them the gasket may be more prone to leaking, especially in that area where the bolt is missing.

Ideally, removing the broken bolt, replacing all the bolts and gasket is what I would do at this point. It's a pain for sure, but if you plan on keeping this car for a long time for peace of mind alone, it would be worth it IMO.
I replaced the broken bolt with and hand tightened the rest of the bolts. I couldnt risk snapping anymore bolts. I tightened the bolts until they felt nice and snug. I bought a new gasket from the dealership and will go back and buy and replace all bolts.

Should I refill the tranny with mroe fluid? I have a bucket underneath measuring how much fluid is escaping thru that hole. And i did torque 2 other bolts befire i snapped 2. Im too scarwd to losen them and retighten them since they may be under stress. I cant risk snapping anymore bolts.

Ill take it to the shop tomorrow and have them reolace the gasket and all the bolts.

Would you recommebd going to the dealer or just any other shop?
Old 12-03-2017, 02:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Dan G37
I replaced the broken bolt with and hand tightened the rest of the bolts. I couldnt risk snapping anymore bolts. I tightened the bolts until they felt nice and snug. I bought a new gasket from the dealership and will go back and buy and replace all bolts.

Should I refill the tranny with mroe fluid? I have a bucket underneath measuring how much fluid is escaping thru that hole. And i did torque 2 other bolts befire i snapped 2. Im too scarwd to losen them and retighten them since they may be under stress. I cant risk snapping anymore bolts.

Ill take it to the shop tomorrow and have them reolace the gasket and all the bolts.

Would you recommebd going to the dealer or just any other shop?
You've got the right plan, no need to have any more bolt issues prior to taking it in, so leaving them as-is would be good. You may want to add a bit more fluid prior to your trip depending how far you need to go, if it's pretty close I wouldn't worry much about that unless the leak is more significant.

As far as where to take it, a reputable shop should suffice but call around a few places if you have time explaining what you need done, if they sound hesitant go to the dealer, a Nissan dealer is ok too, and may be cheaper, and the dealers should have the bolts in stock.

G/L
Old 12-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

You've got the right plan, no need to have any more bolt issues prior to taking it in, so leaving them as-is would be good. You may want to add a bit more fluid prior to your trip depending how far you need to go, if it's pretty close I wouldn't worry much about that unless the leak is more significant.

As far as where to take it, a reputable shop should suffice but call around a few places if you have time explaining what you need done, if they sound hesitant go to the dealer, a Nissan dealer is ok too, and may be cheaper, and the dealers should have the bolts in stock.

G/L
Thanks you so much! I just plan on adding 0.25 more fluid compared to how much i Lost in the pan.

Is it fine to leave my car jacked up on stands for a few nights?

Last edited by Dan G37; 12-03-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Dan G37
Thanks you so much! I just plan on adding 0.25 more fluid compared to how much i Lost in the pan.

Is it fine to leave my car jacked up on stands for a few nights?
You can leave it on the stands, no problem there.
Dan G37 (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Smile

You can leave it on the stands, no problem there.
Thanks! Just want to make sure it doesnt put stress on the frame or anything. Thank you so much for everything!
Old 01-01-2018, 02:30 PM
davison0976
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Hey Dan, how did you make out with the replacement of the broken bolt? What's the outcome? I personally give you a lot of credit for going through with this not the most simple DIY. You know, some of us were lucky in life to be exposed to mechanics through our parents and grand parents. Others have to plow their own path which makes them more of a MAN to be able to navigate uncharted territory.

Happy New Year to you and everyone else on this thread. Let us keep maintaining our vehicles such that no other man takes our money away until the time we deem it's reasonable or desirable to do so.
The following 2 users liked this post by davison0976:
blnewt (01-01-2018), Dan G37 (01-02-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 07:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Happy New Year Davison, and hopefully you had a positive end to your saga Dan.
Haven't had to do much Infiniti DIY, but my 2000 Maxima has kept my wrenches greasy
Dan G37 (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Smile

Originally Posted by davison0976
Hey Dan, how did you make out with the replacement of the broken bolt? What's the outcome? I personally give you a lot of credit for going through with this not the most simple DIY. You know, some of us were lucky in life to be exposed to mechanics through our parents and grand parents. Others have to plow their own path which makes them more of a MAN to be able to navigate uncharted territory.

Happy New Year to you and everyone else on this thread. Let us keep maintaining our vehicles such that no other man takes our money away until the time we deem it's reasonable or desirable to do so.
Thank you so much Davison! I had a mechanic remove the broken bolt! I replaced the gasket and all the pan bolts, All my bolts were borderline about to rip off. I cleaned the pan out and refilled it with tranny fluid! All is great and I'm happy it worked out! thanks again for all the help you guys have given me during those times!

Also happy new year to everyone! I wish you all the best!
Old 01-02-2018, 08:44 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Happy New Year Davison, and hopefully you had a positive end to your saga Dan.
Haven't had to do much Infiniti DIY, but my 2000 Maxima has kept my wrenches greasy
Turned out great! Thanks for all the help! I would be so lost if it wasn't for this forum!

Happy New Years!
Old 01-02-2018, 09:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Dan, so glad you're back to a happy place, thanks for checking in!
Hopefully the whole ordeal didn't set you back too much $$$.
2018 is starting out well!
Dan G37 (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 11:17 PM
davison0976
Registered Member

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Hi Dan. Happy to hear it all worked out!

Quick Reply: DIY: G37 Automatic Transmission Fluid Change, Pan Drop/Clean