D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY Coilover Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:10 AM
BosMaSwaG37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DIY Coilover Install

I've searched high and low for DIY coilover install on here and haven't found one. Even searched google but still couldn't find anything. Does anyone have a link to a good DIY? I'm looking to DIY tanabe sustecs.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Youre not going to find a DIY specific to a single brand and model of coilovers. They are all very similar. This is a pretty good DIY:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/pro...n-part-ii.html
Old 02-03-2012, 10:15 AM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Infiniti G37 maintenance, repair, diagnostic and modification information

This guy has alot of DIYs on his website. Good pics too.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:25 AM
BosMaSwaG37

Originally Posted by Modme
Youre not going to find a DIY specific to a single brand and model of coilovers. They are all very similar. This is a pretty good DIY:

Project Infiniti G37 Coilover Installation Part II
At this point I just need any DIY...thanks!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Fentress24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good luck. The install isn't bad. I did the sustecs about a month ago. There is no DIY so you just have to go for it. The sustecs re-use the stock upper mount on the front so you will need a spring compressor. An impact gun helps with the process. If you dont have one make sure you atleast have a breaker bar. Those bolts on the front are a b!tch.

If you have any questions PM me or post them in here. Ill try to keep an eye on it.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have an X and THAT was a biotch to install. Rears took like 30 minutes to pop in but fronts were a pain in the butt. GL OP
Old 02-03-2012, 01:24 PM
BosMaSwaG37

Originally Posted by OB G
I have an X and THAT was a biotch to install. Rears took like 30 minutes to pop in but fronts were a pain in the butt. GL OP
Haha, I keep hearing that. I'm hoping the fact that my car is new that I'll be spared from the PITA. I'm going to take a breaker bar to it, hoping that will be enough
Old 02-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyc617
Haha, I keep hearing that. I'm hoping the fact that my car is new that I'll be spared from the PITA. I'm going to take a breaker bar to it, hoping that will be enough
I don't say this to dampen your spirits, but your car being new doesn't make much of a difference. If you don't have air tools, use penetrating lube liberally on all the bolts and nuts and let it work in for at least a day if possible. It makes a big difference. I also suggest a breaker bar at least 24" or more and at least 1/2" size.

As was said, the rears are quite easy (only 2 bolts, 2 nuts that are easy to access) but unless you're one of these mechanical supermen that periodically post how this jobcan be done in an hour or less, allow most of a day just to be sure if it's your first time. A reasonable amount of time without air tools or a lift would be 2.5 to 5 hours dependent on a number of factors.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:10 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyc617
I've searched high and low for DIY coilover install on here and haven't found one. Even searched google but still couldn't find anything. Does anyone have a link to a good DIY? I'm looking to DIY tanabe sustecs.
Here you go.
DIY: Coilover Install - G35Driver
http://www.bcracing-na.com/G37install.htm

Torque specs:
g Gallery | suspension
Old 02-03-2012, 02:34 PM
BosMaSwaG37

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I don't say this to dampen your spirits, but your car being new doesn't make much of a difference. If you don't have air tools, use penetrating lube liberally on all the bolts and nuts and let it work in for at least a day if possible. It makes a big difference. I also suggest a breaker bar at least 24" or more and at least 1/2" size.

As was said, the rears are quite easy (only 2 bolts, 2 nuts that are easy to access) but unless you're one of these mechanical supermen that periodically post how this jobcan be done in an hour or less, allow most of a day just to be sure if it's your first time. A reasonable amount of time without air tools or a lift would be 2.5 to 5 hours dependent on a number of factors.
Got it, thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 02:34 PM
BosMaSwaG37

That first link is really good and different from what I've gotten from others. Good lookin out
Old 11-24-2014, 07:35 PM
johnnyn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentress24
good luck. The install isn't bad. I did the sustecs about a month ago. There is no DIY so you just have to go for it. The sustecs re-use the stock upper mount on the front so you will need a spring compressor. An impact gun helps with the process. If you dont have one make sure you atleast have a breaker bar. Those bolts on the front are a b!tch.

If you have any questions PM me or post them in here. Ill try to keep an eye on it.
My mechanic is doing the install for my car right now. He said he has to reuse the stock strut on the front. Is this what you mean by "stock upper mount on the front"?
Old 11-24-2014, 10:08 PM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyn
My mechanic is doing the install for my car right now. He said he has to reuse the stock strut on the front. Is this what you mean by "stock upper mount on the front"?
Not really sure what you mean. Are you getting springs installed? If so, then yes he would have to reuse the front strut, but coilovers are a package deal and you wouldn't reuse the strut.

The upper mount is a metal plate that is sometimes reused when installing coilovers, it's the top plate that is bolted to te strut that compresses the spring.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:52 PM
johnnyn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Motoboat
Not really sure what you mean. Are you getting springs installed? If so, then yes he would have to reuse the front strut, but coilovers are a package deal and you wouldn't reuse the strut.

The upper mount is a metal plate that is sometimes reused when installing coilovers, it's the top plate that is bolted to te strut that compresses the spring.
Sorry, yes the upper mount of the strut bar is what I mean. I am having the Tanabe coilovers installed. Is there really any repercussions if I reuse the uppermount? Is the uppermount known to go bad if reused? My mechanic is recommending me to buy a new uppermount for the fronts
Old 11-25-2014, 06:45 PM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyn
Sorry, yes the upper mount of the strut bar is what I mean. I am having the Tanabe coilovers installed. Is there really any repercussions if I reuse the uppermount? Is the uppermount known to go bad if reused? My mechanic is recommending me to buy a new uppermount for the fronts
I really don't know that they would go bad, but might want to go with the mechanics recommendation, he is the pro. Might be worth the couple bucks for a piece of mind.