Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:08 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Rotary "forged" = flow form cast. There are a number of true forged wheels that will be as light or lighter while being stronger than those cast wheels. Especially if they are monoblock forged wheels. But, with the weight and cost those should still be a decent choice!

My car makes so much noise that I don't even notice all the noises from the bushings and mounts But the amount of wheel hop is reduced quite a bit with the bushings.

Last edited by ttv36; 09-21-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:37 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Gotcha. I didn't realize "rotary forging" was a trade marked term by TSW. That explains it. I thought they seemed a bit cheap for a forged wheel. I like the fact that it takes quite a bit of weight out of the outer part of the rim. I watched their video and the Nurburgring rim they have in there looks great. I was thinking of that rim too, but the face seems really flat in all the pictures. The one in the video seems to have a nice curve to the spokes. Hmmm...

I need to keep reminding myself that I will keep this car mainly as a daily driver so hopefully I don't get too carried away like your awesome build. If I run into wheel hop I will definitely get some of those bushings. My main issue now is just remembering that I do not have super sticky wide summer tires outback so wheel spin is pretty easy.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
If you want a nice concave curved spoke face, one of the nicest wheels that are still at an affordable price point are the Work Kiwamis (CR Ultimate). The 18x9.5s are in the 21.5lb range IIRC

Work Wheels Products Emotion CR Ultimate

Work Wheels News Comparison: CR Kai vs NEW CR Ultimate

Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: Work CR Kiwami

Old 09-22-2015, 11:19 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Damn it blnewt, I'm trying to narrow DOWN my choices. Thanks for the idea. I will check those out too.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Damn it blnewt, I'm trying to narrow DOWN my choices. Thanks for the idea. I will check those out too.
lol, you think we're going to make something like choosing wheels simple???
No friggin way, it's got to be painstaking, otherwise you won't get that elation when it's finally over.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:48 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yes, thank you so much for your "help." Haha!
Old 09-23-2015, 08:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
The next day I had the windows tinted and ordered a Stillen Exhaust, Z1 high flow cats, Z1 transmission mount, magnetic oil plug, MTEC shifter springs, and Z1 stainless flexible brake lines.
Well, looks like somebody's got a chubby for Z1 Motorsports. But that's an interesting first-buy collection of mods. Personally and with hindsight, I'd put sways at the top of that list, with the RJM clutch pedal second, and cats third.

I'm interested in your feedback on the MTEC springs... from what I've researched, there's not much love for those little guys, so I'm curious what you think.

Transmission mount, eh? Hmm.

Welcome to the Build Threads, 4DRZ.
The following users liked this post:
ttv36 (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 09:21 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Well, looks like somebody's got a chubby for Z1 Motorsports. But that's an interesting first-buy collection of mods. Personally and with hindsight, I'd put sways at the top of that list, with the RJM clutch pedal second, and cats third.

I'm interested in your feedback on the MTEC springs... from what I've researched, there's not much love for those little guys, so I'm curious what you think.

Transmission mount, eh? Hmm.

Welcome to the Build Threads, 4DRZ.
It would seem that way wouldn't it? Actually, that was my first order from Z1 and so far so good. I am in the process of looking at parts from two other vendors right now.

The first things I wanted to do were, 1. transmission mount to remove the horrible shifter slop, 2. Stillen exhaust so I could actually hear the engine (tired of driving a tuned Evo w/ stock exhaust) and because the stock exhaust was an eyesore missing one of the tips (yes, perfectionist over here), and 3. lowering springs for my snows w/ a lower profile.

I have always used Goodridge stainless lines on my other cars, but could not find them for the G and saw that Z1 had some. Then I remembered that I was going to change the oil in Oct. so I picked up the plug and thought I would try the shifter springs.

So it was like going to Walmart without all the colorful people watching; I ended up getting more than I originally planned from Z1.

What is it that people don't like about the shifter springs? I have not had the time to install those yet. I did not even bother to look up reviews since they are so cheap. I might install them Friday with the cats.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:46 AM
CRV_33
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool nice to see somewhat of a local member. I see that you purchased your car from Wayzata Nissan, are you around the Twin Cities often? Looks like you got a lot of work put into the car already, keep it up!
Old 09-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

What is it that people don't like about the shifter springs? I have not had the time to install those yet. I did not even bother to look up reviews since they are so cheap. I might install them Friday with the cats.
It's not a dislike, per se. Just nothing noticeably different, making the mod more of a placebo than a real thing. I don't have them, but probably would if I read something convincing otherwise. Hence my interest in what you do here with them.

The jsolo pedal spring, however, that's a very real thing. I highly recommend you get one. More so, I highly recommend the RJM clutch pedal assembly, but you just got your 6MT... stuff like that you'll discover over time, and make your own decisions.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CRV_33
Cool nice to see somewhat of a local member. I see that you purchased your car from Wayzata Nissan, are you around the Twin Cities often? Looks like you got a lot of work put into the car already, keep it up!
Thanks! If time permits, I should be installing the cats and shifter springs on Friday. I have two friends who live in the MPLS area, but unfortunately, I do not make it there too often. There was another member from the Dakotas whose better half just picked up a G37 sedan from Wayzata too. Wierd.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
It's not a dislike, per se. Just nothing noticeably different, making the mod more of a placebo than a real thing. I don't have them, but probably would if I read something convincing otherwise. Hence my interest in what you do here with them.

The jsolo pedal spring, however, that's a very real thing. I highly recommend you get one. More so, I highly recommend the RJM clutch pedal assembly, but you just got your 6MT... stuff like that you'll discover over time, and make your own decisions.
I've got the MTEC springs. Couldn't really tell a difference. Maybe a little less side-to-side slop. By comparison the TWM short throw shifter made a huge difference.
4DRZ (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 10:03 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Hmm... Maybe I will notice the shifter springs a bit more since my transmission will not be moving around as much now with the new mount. I hope to review them soon.

With every car I drive I get used to the clutch so the G37S does not feel awful to me, especially after the new trans mount. The only car I remember having a truly awful clutch is the Mazdaspeed6. What differences do you notice with the clutch parts you listed?
Old 09-24-2015, 10:09 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I've got the MTEC springs. Couldn't really tell a difference. Maybe a little less side-to-side slop. By comparison the TWM short throw shifter made a huge difference.
Yeah that short shifter looks awesome! Is it fairly simple to install? Do you notice any rattling on the highway? I only ask because every shift kit I have every installed with new bushings always rattled in top gear on the highway. I am assuming this one fixes that problem because it uses ball bearings.

"Everythings ball bearings nowadays! Maybe you boys need a refresher course." -Fletch
Old 09-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

What differences do you notice with the clutch parts you listed?
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-assembly.html
4DRZ (09-24-2015)

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan