Build Threads

And so it begins

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:04 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
LOL. Hey so I am looking into the Akebono brakes for my xS, have you noticed a significant difference between the stock X brakes and the Akebono's? I mean they are probably worth it just from an appearance standpoint.
Unlike Rochester I am noticing a difference, it seems to be stopping much more smoothly although I can't say faster or in a shorter distance. I had, or felt I had, some judder when slowing or stopping from speed. The daily grind traffic wasn't bad though it didn't feel as smooth as these seem to feel. Granted, it could be because I want it to feel different I suppose?

Appearance wise I do think they make a bit of a difference yes though they need painted. But, I need to restock the savings account and get tires for the 19s. I think suspension will be next, it handles well (never driven a sport) to me but could be better.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I think suspension will be next, it handles well (never driven a sport) to me but could be better.
If you drive the extra miles from Buffalo to Rochester, I'd let you drive my 6MT. Sadly, I suspect it will have snows mounted by that time, which seriously ruins the moment.

However, if you were up here with your RHFC's installed... well, then I'd make the trip to Buffalo for that. It would be worth it for a first hand experience of the RHFC setup on the stock exhaust.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-08-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Did you guys get a room, too? Sounds like a magical evening.
I was just waiting on a troll comment lol..

Thank you Mike, it was great meeting you as well. Glad we could hook up, that's a beautiful 37S you have. As I said you started way ahead of me! Thank you for posting that pic, I haven't had time to get any good ones and the poor car is so dirty right now daytime pics won't look so hot.
Thank you for the kind words !

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 11-08-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I was just waiting on a troll comment lol..
Just having fun, Mik3.

Wait, you have the the 6MT Sedan. Didn't you let your newest BFF drive it?

Last edited by Rochester; 11-08-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:53 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
If you drive the extra miles from Buffalo to Rochester, I'd let you drive my 6MT. Sadly, I suspect it will have snows mounted by that time, which seriously ruins the moment.

However, if you were up here with your RHFC's installed... well, then I'd make the trip to Buffalo for that. It would be worth it for a first hand experience of the RHFC setup on the stock exhaust.
Hmmmm.... I was going to fly but this here is tempting. I'm pretty sure I'll be in Pittsburgh in February I'm not sure if I'll fly or drive that one, most likely fly but if I drive I could head up a little further easily. I'll definitely keep you posted if I drive.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Hmmmm.... I was going to fly but this here is tempting. I'm pretty sure I'll be in Pittsburgh in February I'm not sure if I'll fly or drive that one, most likely fly but if I drive I could head up a little further easily. I'll definitely keep you posted if I drive.
If you make the trip, I'll pick up the tab for lunch or dinner.

Whatever you want, man. I work at home with flexible hours. Love to hear what my car will sound like next Spring.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Mik3G37S

Just having fun, Mik3.

Wait, you have the the 6MT Sedan. Didn't you let your newest BFF drive it?
Unfortunately I don't let anybody drive my car, it's too precious maybe except my older brother couple times and my dad drove it once

If you make the trip, I'll pick up the tab for lunch or dinner.

Whatever you want, man. I work at home with flexible hours. Love to hear what my car will sound like next Spring.
yeah Rochester... at least you can make sure you get a nice room
Old 11-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Unfortunately I don't let anybody drive my car, it's too precious
You ought to get over that. It's just a car.

yeah Rochester... at least you can make sure you get a nice room
I left that door open just for you, Mik3. You didn't disappoint.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Mik3G37S

You ought to get over that. It's just a car.
it is yet yet it's not better save then sorry as they say you know, **** likes to happen to borrowed things

I left that door open just for you, Mik3. You didn't disappoint.
LMAO haha nope, couldn't pass on that opportunity
Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
[QUOTE=Rochester;3698849]You ought to get over that. It's just a car.

Do you have friends/family who refuse to drive your car? I have a toyota family, so this is kind of a step up from their Camry's and Rav4's. My mom refuses to drive my car because it scares the crap out of her.
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 11:12 AM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
LOL. Hey so I am looking into the Akebono brakes for my xS, have you noticed a significant difference between the stock X brakes and the Akebono's? I mean they are probably worth it just from an appearance standpoint.
I upgraded my stock x brakes to the akebonos (went with dba 4000 rotors, hawk hps pads, stoptech stainless lines, and ate superblue,) and the change was pretty dramatic. It's hard to attribute this to the akebonos or just the aftermarket parts, but it's certainly a lot better. They also do look great with 19s...
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen

Do you have friends/family who refuse to drive your car? I have a toyota family, so this is kind of a step up from their Camry's and Rav4's. My mom refuses to drive my car because it scares the crap out of her.
exactly... My aunt and uncle said the same thing they wouldn't even want to take the risk of driving my car incase if something would happen...
Old 11-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
I've let friends drive the car, sure, but not borrow it. The only family that applies would be the wife, and truth is... she's afraid to drive it for a few reasons. 1) She doesn't want to be the one to damage it, regardless of my assurances, 2) She's hasn't driven a MT in 10 years, and 3) she's a little intimidated by it in terms of handling and power...

...which is kind of silly, it's just a G37. But her reasons are her's to have, and I respect that.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:57 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
I've let friends drive the car, sure, but not borrow it. The only family that applies would be the wife, and truth is... she's afraid to drive it for a few reasons. 1) She doesn't want to be the one to damage it, regardless of my assurances, 2) She's hasn't driven a MT in 10 years, and 3) she's a little intimidated by it in terms of handling and power...

...which is kind of silly, it's just a G37. But her reasons are her's to have, and I respect that.
I agree that it certainly isn't the fastest or best handling car in the world, but it's all relative, right? Boost controllers have broken more engines than anything else, because people get used to a certain speed, then up the boost to make it faster. Even a Civic is a noticeable step up from a Camry, so I can see why it would make people nervous.

We're all used to the G, I'm always pleased when I've been away on business in a rental car for a while. I get back home and turn the car on, and it's the same feeling I got the first time I started her up after installing the exhaust. I wish I could bottle that feeling, it's just the best.

Last edited by GoFightNguyen; 11-08-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I just got back from lunch with a buddy and his brand new Subby WRX/STI. He just got past the break-in period, and tossed me the keys.

So much low-end torque, applied to all 4 wheels... OMG, now that's a fun car.

Quick Reply: And so it begins