Build Threads

And so it begins

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:14 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm in an apartment without a garage right now so unless I can find a garage to borrow I may have to have someone install them. I'm working on borrowing space so we'll see. The plan right now is to do the intakes either next weekend or shortly after. The cats won't be here for a few weeks so I'll have at least a month with just the intake. Think that will be long enough? I appreciate the feedback and advice, thank you!
I live in an apartment and I did the install on a full header back exhaust on ramps. It can be done!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I have a standard x but the Akebonis went on today so I was future proofing a bit yes, sorry for the confusion. Did I out that I had an as someplace? I did find the elusive NJ xS in the parking lot at EWR.

Some of the things were simple in retrospect, I wanted amber demon eyes but it wasn't going to be very bright at all so we went a different direction which I prefer and will fit better with what I am thinking for the interior in the future. The painting inside the lights will be slightly different than what I was thinking but all based on function and longevity. But will also blend better into the overall final "look" of the car. For me the biggest thing is the license plate delete, I hated the plate on there but figured I was stuck with it. Being able to relocate the gate release (looks like a plate mounted EZPass) will be a huge bonus and should really clean up the front end. Tail light wise I wanted to go with a medium smoke but after comparing what Alex has on his car and the medium the lighter is the way to go for me. Polishing here, resurfacing there, all specific to my car really and the way I'm looking to go long term. They were the seemingly little things that should make the final result pop a bit more and {maybe} I would have thought of down the road a bit.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:30 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
I live in an apartment and I did the install on a full header back exhaust on ramps. It can be done!
That's good to know, thank you!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
I have a standard x but the Akebonis went on today so I was future proofing a bit yes, sorry for the confusion. Did I out that I had an as someplace? I did find the elusive NJ xS in the parking lot at EWR.

Some of the things were simple in retrospect, I wanted amber demon eyes but it wasn't going to be very bright at all so we went a different direction which I prefer and will fit better with what I am thinking for the interior in the future. The painting inside the lights will be slightly different than what I was thinking but all based on function and longevity. But will also blend better into the overall final "look" of the car. For me the biggest thing is the license plate delete, I hated the plate on there but figured I was stuck with it. Being able to relocate the gate release (looks like a plate mounted EZPass) will be a huge bonus and should really clean up the front end. Tail light wise I wanted to go with a medium smoke but after comparing what Alex has on his car and the medium the lighter is the way to go for me. Polishing here, resurfacing there, all specific to my car really and the way I'm looking to go long term. They were the seemingly little things that should make the final result pop a bit more and {maybe} I would have thought of down the road a bit.
you still haven't mentioned anything specific just in general idea which doesn't really give me any clues about what you're gonna do, what about headlights, and that front plate , got me lost there a bit
Old 11-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Bota36

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Sounding good Rex. It's taken me a year and a half to do what you've done in a couple weeks...minus the BBK. That's just awesome. Can't wait to see some pics.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:03 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
you still haven't mentioned anything specific just in general idea which doesn't really give me any clues about what you're gonna do, what about headlights, and that front plate , got me lost there a bit
Sorry about that. I'm going gloss black over the chrome with iron mans and a blue demon eye. Resurfacing and refreshing the headlight lens isn't something I would have thought of but the imperfections would have stood out against the black and now won't. The front plate bracket will be removed and plugged and the transponder relocated to a hidden location so it will still be functional.

It won't be as clean as a new bumper but it also won't cost as much as a new bumper and will allow me to focus on other things. Fortunately in TN I don't need the front bumper.

It looks like it will be done on Weds, if you want to take a look at it in person I'll be around the exit 117 area weds evening and in Raritan for a bit on Thursday it looks like.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Bota36
Sounding good Rex. It's taken me a year and a half to do what you've done in a couple weeks...minus the BBK. That's just awesome. Can't wait to see some pics.
Thank you Bota, But I don't think it's going to compare to yours. That polish job is just stunning! Looks clear and deep!! I'm not certain I could get that without repainting...

I hadn't planned on doing this much never mind this much this soon but the stars are aligning just right so off we go. My midlife crisis seems to be in full swing
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Mik3G37S

Sorry about that. I'm going gloss black over the chrome with iron mans and a blue demon eye. Resurfacing and refreshing the headlight lens isn't something I would have thought of but the imperfections would have stood out against the black and now won't. The front plate bracket will be removed and plugged and the transponder relocated to a hidden location so it will still be functional.

It won't be as clean as a new bumper but it also won't cost as much as a new bumper and will allow me to focus on other things. Fortunately in TN I don't need the front bumper.

It looks like it will be done on Weds, if you want to take a look at it in person I'll be around the exit 117 area weds evening and in Raritan for a bit on Thursday it looks like.
YES I want to see it ! can you text me at 908 463 0952, looking forward to Thursday !
Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Bota36

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Thank you Bota, But I don't think it's going to compare to yours. That polish job is just stunning! Looks clear and deep!! I'm not certain I could get that without repainting...

I hadn't planned on doing this much never mind this much this soon but the stars are aligning just right so off we go. My midlife crisis seems to be in full swing
Lol. Mine is in full swing as well. You should check out the porter cable dual action polisher. I purchased one a few weeks back, watched some you tube videos, took my time polishing it and I was stunned by the results. If you ever decide to try it, let me know and I'll tell you what to use.

Keeping my G clean is a hassle but I actually love doing it. It's my zen time. I guarantee you would get amazing results.
The following users liked this post:
RexHavoc (11-05-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 02:03 AM
Mik3G37S

Chris it was great to meet you, well worth the 2 and a half hours we spent just endless talking about our cars and everything! 180 did amazing job on your car and love all the mods you have gotten at one shot, the blue demon eyes and the one and only one of a kind duck bill trunk from Alex were stunning and to be honest made me jealous but I guess as they say 'you can't always have what you want' ... definitely looking forward to further pics of mods that are coming your way! Be safe on your trip back to Tennessee in the morning !

And so it begins-forumrunner_20131108_020328.jpg

Sick ! They just look wayy to bright in the picture but in person these demon eyes add a stunning look !
RexHavoc (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 07:15 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Thank you Mike, it was great meeting you as well. Glad we could hook up, that's a beautiful 37S you have. As I said you started way ahead of me! Thank you for posting that pic, I haven't had time to get any good ones and the poor car is so dirty right now daytime pics won't look so hot.

Just a quick update to the thread, the work 180 did looks great. Couple things I'll need to do but I knew that (plugs for the plate and cleaning up some paint imperfections). The headlights came out better than I had envisioned though they may not be everyone's cup of tea. The lens upgrade is spectacular, really throwing some light out there and my dad even commented on it and likes it. The BBK was an excellent opportunity and I'm glad I jumped on it. It really does make a difference to my driving experience. Pics are coming, I had a few taken before I left though I was in a rush and we didn't run a full photo shoot.
Mik3G37S (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Did you guys get a room, too? Sounds like a magical evening.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:01 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
LOL. Hey so I am looking into the Akebono brakes for my xS, have you noticed a significant difference between the stock X brakes and the Akebono's? I mean they are probably worth it just from an appearance standpoint.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
LOL. Hey so I am looking into the Akebono brakes for my xS, have you noticed a significant difference between the stock X brakes and the Akebono's? I mean they are probably worth it just from an appearance standpoint.
On a few occasions, I've a G37x as a loaner car, and was very surprised to discover no difference whatsoever between the little brakes and the BBK. I was expecting to, but didn't. I suspect the more significant difference is in reduced fade with the Akebono's. And certainly if you upgrade the big pads, fluid and lines... that would probably make more of a noticeable difference.

On the other hand, I wasn't expecting to notice such a dramatic difference in the steering. The non-Sport is sloppy in comparison.

And lastly, I actually was expecting a big difference in handling, and that didn't disappoint me in lowered expectations. Not that that can't be easily fixed... tires, wheels, struts and sways.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:56 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Did you guys get a room, too? Sounds like a magical evening.

Nah but it's nice to meet the folks on the forum on occasion. I'll be in Buffalo in a few weeks if you want me to say hi
Mik3G37S (11-08-2013)

Quick Reply: And so it begins