Build Threads

And so it begins

Old 11-02-2013, 08:26 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
And so it begins

So, I've been going slow with my a car, a 2010 G37s Journey. Added a GTR start button, no HP increase despite my hopes, read and searched the forum most every night and finally made some decisions.

Picked up a set of forged Ray's and had them powder coated (thanks SgtGoldy) and have figured out what size tires to go with (thanks again blnewt!) just need to pull the trigger on the tires. Diode Dynamics LEDs mostly installed, PIAA fogs will go in today or later this week. Got the ECM and trans updated and drove the NJ yesterday (26.5 mpg, not too bad) heading to 180 today for a few adjustments. R2C intake should be waiting for me back in TN and the FI RHFCs should be here in a few weeks.

It was a great car to start with but it's starting to feel a little more "mine" now. It's a lot different than what I've been tinkering with the past couple years but just as much fun.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:40 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sounds like you're in for a fun week ahead, look forward to all the pics!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Glover998

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Added a GTR start button, no HP increase despite my hopes
u're kiddin right ?!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Glover998
u're kiddin right ?!
I would say yes, Lolz
Old 11-02-2013, 10:36 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Glover998
u're kiddin right ?!
Yep
Old 11-02-2013, 10:39 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Sounds like you're in for a fun week ahead, look forward to all the pics!
Sure am Brad! If I can get a photo shoot with my dad in I will, depends on when it's done and I head back to TN. If not then I'll have to rely on crappy cell phone pics and my POS digital for a bit.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,565 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
FI RHFCs should be here in a few weeks.
Will that be on the stock exhaust? Because that's my plan for next Spring... FI RHFC on the OEM exhaust. And actually, in that I also have the R2C Intake kit, I am very, very interested in how this works out for you.

subbed

PS. When I read your thread title, I couldn't help but hear the voice of James Earl Jones in my head. That was curious.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:08 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Will that be on the stock exhaust? Because that's my plan for next Spring... FI RHFC on the OEM exhaust. And actually, in that I also have the R2C Intake kit, I am very, very interested in how this works out for you.

subbed

PS. When I read your thread title, I couldn't help but hear the voice of James Earl Jones in my head. That was curious.
It will be yes, your DIY on the R2C helped me decide to go that route so thank you for that. I'll keep you posted once it's done and see what I can do about vids (wonder if I could get a JEJ impersonator to voice over).
Old 11-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Rochester
Administrator

It will be yes, your DIY on the R2C helped me decide to go that route so thank you for that.
You're welcome. Very excited to watch this thread.

Are you taking the cats to a shop, or DIY on ramps? Here's some unsolicited advice with this stuff: don't do the cats and the intakes at the same time. Live with one for a little bit before moving on. I know that's a difficult discipline to aspire to, but if your schedule allows for it, I think its good advice.
The following users liked this post:
RexHavoc (11-02-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 12:03 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I agree with the OP. When I bought my G in June, it was only as a commuter car. I've been slowly moving in the same direction as the OP. It's too much fun to mod!
Old 11-02-2013, 05:59 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
You're welcome. Very excited to watch this thread.

Are you taking the cats to a shop, or DIY on ramps? Here's some unsolicited advice with this stuff: don't do the cats and the intakes at the same time. Live with one for a little bit before moving on. I know that's a difficult discipline to aspire to, but if your schedule allows for it, I think its good advice.
I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm in an apartment without a garage right now so unless I can find a garage to borrow I may have to have someone install them. I'm working on borrowing space so we'll see.

The plan right now is to do the intakes either next weekend or shortly after. The cats won't be here for a few weeks so I'll have at least a month with just the intake. Think that will be long enough? I appreciate the feedback and advice, thank you!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Think that will be long enough? I appreciate the feedback and advice, thank you!
Absolutely. By the time you install the cats, living with the intake will be the new normal. Enjoy the install.

Here's my post-install thread for reference: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...s-learned.html
The following users liked this post:
RexHavoc (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:02 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Bit of a scope change, the project now includes a BBK upgrade and a new to me set of winter 18s. Right place, right time, great price!

Met Alex and the team on Saturday, great bunch of guys in a really neat location (if you like the city). Alex has an excellent eye and took some time with me to discuss the final project and provide some suggestions and feedback. All spot on and many were items I never considered, the feedback was based on experience and after looking at examples certainly proved to be correct.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Bit of a scope change, the project now includes a BBK upgrade and a new to me set of winter 18s. Right place, right time, great price!

Met Alex and the team on Saturday, great bunch of guys in a really neat location (if you like the city). Alex has an excellent eye and took some time with me to discuss the final project and provide some suggestions and feedback. All spot on and many were items I never considered, the feedback was based on experience and after looking at examples certainly proved to be correct.
You got the G37S and you want to do a BBK upgrade? I assume You then don't have the true RWD sport package sedan but the xS which therefore would make sense to upgrade to BBK what suggestions did they provide, share the word please I'm curious since I'm in central NJ and not far from OnEighty myself
Old 11-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
You got the G37S and you want to do a BBK upgrade?
I think that was a type-o. He has G37x in his profile. And yet, he also has "Akebono BBK" in his profile, too. Maybe he's future-proofing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: And so it begins