Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:50 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
He already decided to go with the Vossen CVT 19" wheels.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Ordered and paid-in-full last week, just waiting on shipment and an end to Winter.

You know something I think I knew, but never really focused on until just now? Those Michelin PSS aren't unidirectional, they're asymmetrical. Meaning, one side of the tire needs to be on the "outside" of the rim. But it doesn't matter which direction it rolls. That's fascinating.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-13-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Ordered and paid-in-full last week, just waiting on shipment and an end to Winter.

You know something I think I knew, but never really focused on until just now? Those Michelin PSS aren't unidirectional, they're asymmetrical. Meaning, one side of the tire needs to be on the "outside" of the rim. But it doesn't matter which direction it rolls. That's fascinating.

Same as my Toyos, and yes it is interesting, I've had a few "outside-bias" tires and I've had better luck w/ them over directionals of similar compounds.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:42 PM
FriedLumpia

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Darn it and here I thought I was actually paying attention Well now I'm looking forward to seeing the Vossens on the car! White G with 19" Vossens will be fantastic...

Rochester if you are after super stick on the street (and track for that matter) and decent wear for a UHP Summer Tire you are going to really enjoy those Pilot Super Sports. I know a few things about their underpinnings and I can't wait to put a set on my future G. I'll admit that the Pilot Sport A/S 3 is a consideration for me as well - as it does have an edge in wet traction and hydroplaning resistance - but the PSS is almost too sweet not to put on the G. I'm fairly sure you run a winter set so PSS would be my choice with a winter / summer swap (I live in SC so we can get away with summer tires all year round - almost).

I had the opportunity to test drive two G coupes fairly recently and one had new PSS all around and the other had a Kumho or Hankook (can't remember which). The G in the PSS really responded well to attacking on ramps but was still very well mannered for "normal driving." Really might have taken it home but it wasn't my color...

Anyway back to what you originally said, that asymmetric design is a simple way to get that outside shoulder to stay put and give you the cornering grip you're looking for. But there's a few more things along with that trick that really make that tire rock n roll .
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I had PSS on the OEM rear Sport rims last year, with the original Bridgestones in the front. I was expecting nasty under steer, but the reality was a much improved handling experience, just because of the PSS. Granted, I put a set of sways on the car too, but that was a few weeks later.

To your point, yes, I am absolutely looking forward to having these tires on all four corners. Thanks, Lumpy.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

VOSSEN CVT - 19" Staggered, with Michelin PSS

These showed up yesterday. Still a few weeks left before winter ends, so other than this photo-shoot on my dining room table, they're going to collect dust for a while... just like my RHFC's.

Been eye-fcking these wheels all day long. sigh

Old 02-21-2014, 08:09 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
A thought occurred to me, are you going to try and clock the wheels on the car such that the spokes EXACTLY line up? It would obviously get out of sync over time, but I think if it's possible, the first photoshoot you do should try to get them perfectly synchronized.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

A thought occurred to me, are you going to try and clock the wheels on the car such that the spokes EXACTLY line up? It would obviously get out of sync over time, but I think if it's possible, the first photoshoot you do should try to get them perfectly synchronized.
Haha, no. That's not going to happen for a photo shoot, and is pretty unrealistic, you silly rabbit.

I'll tell you what I did do, though. The center caps weren't aligned perfectly so that the VOSSEN in the cap was parallel to the VOSSEN embossed on the lip... as you can see by the front rim in the picture above.

But they are now.

Here's one more picture of one of the rear wheels. You know what else I love about these wheels? They're not so aftermarket-looking as to be obvious, IMO. I think once they go on the car, they're just going to look like they belong there. Can't wait. Tick tock.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-21-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:45 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
John, I hope you've been wearing protective "latex" goggles while you've been eye-f'n
Old 02-23-2014, 08:54 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Sure hope Mrs. Rochester didn't walk in and see the "shoes" on her dining room table!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:08 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Haha, no. That's not going to happen for a photo shoot, and is pretty unrealistic, you silly rabbit.

I'll tell you what I did do, though. The center caps weren't aligned perfectly so that the VOSSEN in the cap was parallel to the VOSSEN embossed on the lip... as you can see by the front rim in the picture above.

But they are now.

Here's one more picture of one of the rear wheels. You know what else I love about these wheels? They're not so aftermarket-looking as to be obvious, IMO. I think once they go on the car, they're just going to look like they belong there. Can't wait. Tick tock.

I did the same thing but aligned the center caps with the air schrader valves! LOL Attention to details!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by KEG97
Sure hope Mrs. Rochester didn't walk in and see the "shoes" on her dining room table!
She didn't mind.

However, I've been keeping them in the corner of the living room for the last few days, and last night she put her foot down. It seems the tires have a distinctive rubber smell to them that bothered her, so I had to move them into the basement. Out of sight... Bummer.

So I got up early this morning and waxed all four rims with paste wax. I also cleaned the tire sidewalls with tire gel, and got out the nail clippers to get rid of all those little rubber hairs that are extruded from the sidewalls.

Ready to go, soon as I buy a set of lug nuts I'm liking, and this last bitter cold snap leaves the region. I'm guessing mid-March.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-23-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:14 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
That new rubber smell is sexy..... Sheeesh...... Women
Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 PM
FriedLumpia

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
That new rubber smell is sexy..... Sheeesh...... Women
Ahh the smell of rubber. Around here we call it the smell of money.

Rochester those wheels are sweet. Elegant understatement comes to mind. You're my hero for how your G is turning out. I hope what I end up doing is in the same spirit but not a blatant act of plagiarism

And my condolences for still having to deal with winter. It was almost 70deg here today
Old 03-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

RHFC install in two weeks.

DOMO

I had a long talk with my dealerships Sr. Tech today while the car was on the lift getting inspected, and the brake fluid swapped. He told me he'd pass the inspection next year with the cats based solely on the visuals. He said if there's obviously a cat there, the O2 sensors are in place, and the OBDC reading is clean, that's all he cares about. The cats could be gutted or aftermarket... Doesn't matter. The only constraint is that he couldn't install an aftermarket cat, but if it's already there... Meh.

Interesting perspective, coming straight from a NY Infiniti shop.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G