Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:58 AM
verybusy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can Infinity not know about this problem???

I'm puzzled that the official response of Infinity is to profess ignorance about this problem. After all, "somebody" at Infinity has to have the job of monitoring this forum as it demonstrates simple common sense to do so.

I've noticed a temperature dependence but no "vent dependence" (it doesn't matter where the air is blowing for this problem to occur). I've removed the two defroster vents and glued 3 mm thick EVA foam thinking that a loose fit might be the problem.....no luck. I've insulated the gap between the edge of the dasboard and the windshield with EVA foam...no luck. I've removed the defroster vents completely....no luck. To the best of my ability the sound is emanating from somewhere beneath the dash....next step is a chainsaw and a TIG welder!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:16 PM
FlyBar

Creaking Noise From Dash/Windshield Area

I have a 2008 G37 Sport and it exhibits a tapping creaking sound that seems to come from the dash area whenever the body of the car is flexed like when turning into a driveway or if I go over a few bumps in the road. Seems/sounds like its coming from the lower windsheild area.

I took it to the dealer to get this and other issues fixed. The dealer had the entire dash out and installed a few spacers which they claim fixed the issue. After picking the car up from the dealer the noise returned after just a few KM.

I will be taking the car back in to get some other work done as well as getting this addressed

Problems to date:

High Pitched Ringing Sound (Will ask dealer when I take the car in)
Dash Creak sound (Not Yet Fixed)
Muffler Rattle (Fixed by Dealer)
Driver Seat Wear (Dealer To Replace Seat Cover with new one)

I realize no car is perfect but at the same time I don't think a $50K car should have problems like this? This shows poor QA in my opinion.

I came off an RX8 and I must say I was expecting this to be an upgrade to it. All I can say is I miss my RX8
Old 02-16-2009, 05:37 PM
last lemming

I had an RX-8 as well, and the fit and finish were just as good (for the most part) as my G37S - better paint too. Sad part is the one thing I've been trying to "upgrade" as my purchases of cars costs me more and more is a car that doesn't have "creaks". I'm learings - late in life it seems - that its the cheaper cars (in general) that have less noises, not the the more expensive ones. Go figure. I hear Lexus has a good grip on quite cars, but how bland!! Except the IS-F of course.

BTW, I loved my RX-8 and would have kept it if it didn't get such crappy milage and not enough torque. STILL the best handling car I've ever owned.

Not to be an alarmist, but I think this thing might be similar to the "a" pillar issue. I could be broken or incomplete spot weld, but I have no proof, just another theory. BTW, does your dash make any NEW noise since they took it appart?

Originally Posted by FlyBar
I have a 2008 G37 Sport and it exhibits a tapping creaking sound that seems to come from the dash area whenever the body of the car is flexed like when turning into a driveway or if I go over a few bumps in the road. Seems/sounds like its coming from the lower windsheild area.

I took it to the dealer to get this and other issues fixed. The dealer had the entire dash out and installed a few spacers which they claim fixed the issue. After picking the car up from the dealer the noise returned after just a few KM.

I will be taking the car back in to get some other work done as well as getting this addressed

Problems to date:

High Pitched Ringing Sound (Will ask dealer when I take the car in)
Dash Creak sound (Not Yet Fixed)
Muffler Rattle (Fixed by Dealer)
Driver Seat Wear (Dealer To Replace Seat Cover with new one)

I realize no car is perfect but at the same time I don't think a $50K car should have problems like this? This shows poor QA in my opinion.

I came off an RX8 and I must say I was expecting this to be an upgrade to it. All I can say is I miss my RX8
Old 02-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Sunny81

I have a buzzing coming from behind the instrument cluster when I ride the grooves on the highways. Something about just the right frequency of vibration that makes the noise show up. I also used to have the high pitch ringing noise, like jingling change in a pocket, but higher pitched. It showed up right after the dealer did the vvel software update. I took it in thinking they must have left something loose, but they had no idea what was making the noise. They said they tightened a few things up but weren't sure they did anything. As soon as I left the dealer, I heard it. I was pissed. But I didn't want to go back seeing as how clueless they were. Strangely enough, the noise disappeared on its own. At least I have it documented because a tech rode with me and heard the noise. I also have a noise that seems to come from under the passengers seat. Oddly enough this happened after the dealer checked the airbag sensor on that seat. It sounds like a high pitched springing noise. Only happens every now and then. All these things are really barely audible, but it drives me nuts when the windows are up and otherwise the cabin is whisper quiet. I really don't want them to take anything apart because I've always found it's always put back together to a worse state. Hopefully one of you guys can get your noises pinpointed so if any of us run into them, we can get it properly diagnosed and fixed.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:32 AM
JDNick

This may not be related to this issue, but I was reading a review today about the Nissan Versa and thought this sounded interesting.

Distressingly, the test car was a riot of creaks from the instrument panel, worse when cold, less so as the outside temperature rose or the car's heater got busy. A center panel atop the dashboard was loose, but holding it down didn't bring quiet.
Nissan fetched the car for a look-see. A dealer — bet you've never heard this one — couldn't duplicate the noise, a rubbing-plastic sound the auto industry colorfully refers to as "itching."
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...an-versa_N.htm

Makes me wonder if this is a more widespread issue with Nissan/Infiniti. Yeah, I know you can't really compare the Versa to a G37 for build quality, but still.

My sound seems to be coming from the lower windshield/dash area, but the "itching" comment could descibe the sound at times. Other times it's a more pronounced popping noise.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:45 AM
NismoVQ37

Ya'll think you have it bad with a popping noise?? My radio only plays music in Austrailian! Talk about annoying!! Naw, my car made the snap/crackle/pop noise only once, and never since.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:14 AM
barc111

Just purchased an '08 coupe that has the body flex noise. To be honest I am not worrying about it. My mother has a 2001 300zx, now with 200K+ that has had the same noise from day one. All friends with 350z have the same noise. Friend with G35 coupe has the noise. Friend with new GTR has the same noise.

Product of a very stiff chassis? I guess someone will be able to explain it.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Achilles

Originally Posted by barc111
Just purchased an '08 coupe that has the body flex noise. To be honest I am not worrying about it. My mother has a 2001 300zx, now with 200K+ that has had the same noise from day one. All friends with 350z have the same noise. Friend with G35 coupe has the noise. Friend with new GTR has the same noise.

Product of a very stiff chassis? I guess someone will be able to explain it.
Product of a very poor QA department. This is not the way to compete with the BMW 3-series. I hate this about Nissan. Just no excuse that it's been going on for so long.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:11 AM
daveindubai

It's temperature people - seriously - lets end the thread or something?

Seriously!

With the amount of buzzing, pinging, humming, popping that appears to be happening we should record them all and get a professional to mix it into a commercial track. Maybe we can make money on the defects!

I had the popping problem back in winter (here that means 16 degrees minimum) and was fairly contstant.

We are up to 30's during the day and 20's at night - popping she vanish.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:10 PM
last lemming

I don't think people disagree about it being temperature, but what is the temp doing to the materials to make the "popping" and why cant they simply stop it that's the issue.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:15 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yea, it's definitely temperature related...

a few weeks ago, vancouver temperature dropped down to roughly 1-2 degrees C at night...and that's usually when i drive my G....i heard the same popping noise coming from my passenger side front windshield...but couldn't really pinpoint where the sound was coming from (i almost wanna say it's the dash rubbing against the windshield)...i'd say somewhere between the A pillar and center speaker on the passenger side...and recently, our temperature has been warming up...and i don't hear the sounds no more...my car is not even 3 months old....with less than 1500km's on it...i wanted to bring it to the dealership and have them listen to it, but since the temperature has warmed up, i can't reproduce the sounds....which really sucks! hopefully somebody can bring it to the dealer and get them to fix it!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:18 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
oh, and if u blast the windshield vents with hot air, the sound goes away (dash heating up and expanding)
Old 03-03-2009, 01:52 AM
joey_v

Are we sure this is NOT the a-pillar issue?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 AM
last lemming

Originally Posted by joey_v
Are we sure this is NOT the a-pillar issue?
I dont think we can rule it out, however, the sound described in the "A" pillar issue seems to happen near at the "A" pillar. This definately sounds like its coming from the center (or near center) dash next to the window.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 AM
RedlineSi

I've had this sound all winter. I think i have the A-Pillar issue as well. I'm at ends with this car. I think I'm going German. I'm tired of all the creeks and sounds.

Quick Reply: Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe