Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:58 PM
alunserjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happens to me too. Really noticeable when cold and front passenger seat is occupied.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:26 PM
last lemming

lets all try this experiment, when its cold only use your foot vents, not the top vents. I found that ever since I've switched I've not had the sound. Maybe the sound is from some flapper valved that redirects the air or something.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
mervel0us

I never use anything but the foot vents and I have this issue. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they not only heard it, but have three other customers with the same issue. Inifiniti is sending a tech to the dealership in March to fix them all. Apparently this is a huge issue affecting all 08/09 g35 and g37 cars.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:26 PM
last lemming

please keep us informed. I just hope this isn't another "A" pillar issue where there are some bad welds!

Originally Posted by mervel0us
I never use anything but the foot vents and I have this issue. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they not only heard it, but have three other customers with the same issue. Inifiniti is sending a tech to the dealership in March to fix them all. Apparently this is a huge issue affecting all 08/09 g35 and g37 cars.

Last edited by last lemming; 02-07-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:07 PM
rAvi665

Originally Posted by last lemming
While pushing may have something to do with it I seriously doubt the windshield is loose. Windshields arn't installed with clips or screws they are installed with a thick bead of structural silicon sealant. There is no way that is can come loose unless the sealant was a bad batch. And even if that was the case the sound I'm getting doesn't sound like loose sealant. On top of that the sealant is thermally stable so hot and cold wouldn't affect it. However this is not to say that the windshield doesn't expand and contract with temperature changes, and if another material such as plastic or metal was next to the window when this happened then it could make the noise, and pushing on it could potentially stop it.
i was in nyc last nite...streets are bad fyi. I kept hearing it and pushing against the windshield worked...i had less noise problems with g35c, not liking this f'ing car...really disappointed in the craftsmanship of the g37s...sumthing is loose with this windshield or sumthing else...pissing me off
Old 02-07-2009, 03:24 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the temps have anything to do with it. I was driving mine around today, its 45 degrees and sunny, and it was making a ton of noise. I drove it back home and got my un-exciting company car, Toyota Corolla, out to drive- at least it doesn't sound like its going to fall apart while driving it.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:28 PM
alofoque

Just noticed mine does it earlier today. Annoying as F*ck, i'm afraid to take it to the dealer cause i know it wont be like factory once they are done.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:29 PM
wessg37s

Still have noise, but varies with temps

hi all

well i still have my noise that sounds like the windshield whent it is cold, below 40.

It did warm up in PA this week and hit 50-68 and the noise has now changed from sounding like a losse vibrating windshield to a much more subtle creak.

Of course i finally made the appt at the dealer and it didn't do it due to warm temps. So now i will have to wait for a cold snap. Still uncertain if i should have them fix it or not, afraid they would do more damage by ripping apart the car. I have had alot of cars and this is the first one to ever have this kidna of noise with 2,500 miles on it! NOT GOOD for paying this much! LOL

If person who posted earlier who said a tech was going to fix the cars with this issue, please post what you found out.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:26 AM
fkat
Registered Member

I am now thinking this noise is at the bottom of the windshield area, not any sides or top. Like someone said it's hard for me to believe the glass seal is making this noise. It maybe the at the point where the dash meets the glass.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Comatose

Never heard my windshield make noise.. but my center stack plastics (surrounding the clock, stereo etc) crackles all the time.. i need to push against it for it to stop.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:14 PM
KenG37

Windshield Popping Noises

I also had that noise in my 08 G37 Coupe. I traced it to the sunroof not fitting tightly. On my next service I am going to have them look at it.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:51 PM
last lemming

Originally Posted by KenG37
I also had that noise in my 08 G37 Coupe. I traced it to the sunroof not fitting tightly. On my next service I am going to have them look at it.
so your saying that you heard this noise and it sounded like it started where the windshield meets the glass, but it ended up being the sunroof? I just want to be clear - that would make things alot easier if it was.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:09 PM
JDNick

Having the same issue here. Came to this site looking for info and see that it is the first thread listed. Bought mine back in July and didn't really start noticing it until the weather started getting colder. The last few months have been the worse. Mine seems to be located at the bottom of the windshield and seems to be worse when it is cold out and the car is warming up. I'm going to take it in this week. Probably be a good idea to print this thread to show them that it's not an isolated issue.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:06 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I talked to my deaelership this past week and asked about the issue. They told me that they had not heard of this before. I described what the noise was to them and the service advisor asked me if I thought it could be that the adhesive that is used to hold the windshield into the car, which is usually soft and pliable, could have gotten hard due to the cold weather and never softened back up, so the glass could have possibly seperated from the adhesive and is bumping against it when I hit a bump. I'm not sure if that could be part of the issue or not. I'm going to have them look at it when it goes in for its next oil change and after the person who said the Infiniti tech is going to come fix them has fixed them and we all know what it is.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:45 PM
rAiN
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
got this problem too, i thought it was comming from the speaker but guess not.

Quick Reply: Windshield popping noise with 2008 G37 Coupe