Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Audio Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:47 AM
purez33

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Cool Audio Overhaul

Hey everyone! Still pretty new to the site, just bought a 2009 G37s 6mt a couple months ago and I'm loving it! I got a CRAZY deal on it because it was a theft recovery (salvage title) but the car has never been in an accident. None of this bothered me seeing as I plan on keeping it forever. I knew I'd run into some issues with a theft recovery and I have but the mods on the car and the condition of the car outweigh the cons. I come to find out that the Bose sub is not in the rear deck anymore and the passenger rear speaker is gone as well. No biggy, I wanted to upgrade the system anyway. While troubleshooting I also come to find that my ENTIRE car is dynomatted which will be great for the audio upgrade. My question is, are there any decent open air subs I can slap on the rear deck and are there any decent aftermarket speakers that I can replace the remaining cabin speakers with? I'm fine with mounting an amp behind the rear seat but want to keep AS MUCH trunk space as possible. I don't need some CRAZY ground shaking system so much as a quality step up from the factory setup so I'd like to stay as close to $500 as possible but can justify spending up to $1000. What are your thoughts and/or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Audio Overhaul-image.jpg  
Old 06-06-2014, 09:09 AM
gsteigerwald

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...r-install.html

This is a thread where a user swapped out his stock sub on the rear deck for an aftermarket one. Check it out, there should be answers for you in there.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:29 AM
purez33

Yeah I saw that, read up on it but wasn't sure if you guys had any other suggestions for the sub and/or other cabin speakers.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:19 PM
jazzmang

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I didn't get an open air one. I got a shallow depth kicker 10". Dynamat in a few places and threw in a kicker 600w RMS amp. Sounds great! The factory sub is a joke compared to an aftermarket one.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:41 AM
purez33

Jazzmang you got any pix? Did you do the rest of the speakers too?
Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 AM
jazzmang

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't have any pics of it atm. I left it looking totally stock. Amp mounted to the left sidewall in the trunk. Tied into the head unit's line level sub out. The signal is so hot from the head unit that the gain is almost completely 0 on the amp.

Didn't change any of the other speakers yet. I want to install good component tweeters on top of the dash (fitting up towards the windshield) in both the front and back next.

The tweeters in the front doors have very poor directional imaging. The back sounds terrible without tweeters. (Sedan)

After being in other cars and assessing their systems, the Bose system in the sedan is set up pretty well. Free the sound by replacing some of the speaker drivers and we could really have a nice soundstage.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 AM
eatwiththeking

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats on the car! Just curious, what percent tint are those??
Old 06-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jazzmang
Don't have any pics of it atm. I left it looking totally stock. Amp mounted to the left sidewall in the trunk. Tied into the head unit's line level sub out. The signal is so hot from the head unit that the gain is almost completely 0 on the amp.

Didn't change any of the other speakers yet. I want to install good component tweeters on top of the dash (fitting up towards the windshield) in both the front and back next.

The tweeters in the front doors have very poor directional imaging. The back sounds terrible without tweeters. (Sedan)

After being in other cars and assessing their systems, the Bose system in the sedan is set up pretty well. Free the sound by replacing some of the speaker drivers and we could really have a nice soundstage.
Ive always been under the impression (and experienced) that you want the tweeters as close as possible to the mids. So if you have separate components, put the tweeters somewhere on the door panel as close to the stock mids as possible. Ive had a few cars I put systems into that had dash mounting spots for tweeters and it just didnt sound nearly as good as once I moved the tweeters to the door panel. Even better would be components with tweeters in the center of the mids (its been a while since I dabbled, I know they were available forever ago) so you have the exact same distance to your ears for both. It sux that they always end up in the bottom of the door panel (and usually never aimed upwards) but thats really the only good place to fit a 6"+ speaker.

I had an Alpine head unit with built in time delay functions and it made a big difference....I could delay the drivers side so it would reach your ears at the same time as the passenger side. I was surprised it made that big of a difference, but it did (similar to the Driver Sound Stage setting in our cars)

As far as the stock system goes, I actually like it with the exception of missing low bass. I think adding even a small aftermarket sub would make the system very good. As good as a full aftermarket system, no...but based on the amount of work necessary for a good aftermarket setup, stock + a better sub = good performance/value ratio.