TSB - Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe Intermittent/short Duration Small Rpm Increase During Braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:09 PM
beestea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two stories related to this....

About 4 months ago I was pulling into a parking spot (car in normal Auto / Drive) and wasn't even using the gas, was just using the brake to slow down the car as it coasted in.... then at the very last minute the car surged forward and I had to slam on my brakes to avoid crashing into the car infront of me.

Fast forward to tonight... I was at a red light surround by cars on all sides, car infront of me was about 5-6 feet ahead. All of the sudden I think I felt a surge so I just pressed my brakes more, and I notice im still getting closer to the car in front of me, so I slam on my brakes and even move my foot over a little bit to make sure part of my shoe isn't on the gas pedal. STILL MOVING FORWARD... finally I flip the car into park and STILL ROLL ANOTHER FOOT and HIT the guy in front of me. The whole time I am thinking something is really messed up with my car, apologize to the guy, the only real damage is my front plate holder is cracked. So we both drive away then 5 minutes later I still can't believe it happened so I start wondering if he rolled back into me? Maybe I just couldn't tell which one of us was moving??

Then I find this thread and I am pretty sure once again it was my car that surged, the brakes didn't stop it, no idea why it still rolled forward in park (maybe transmission has issues too)? Anyhow I am kinda scared about this problem now so I will definitely have my dealer check it out.

Last edited by beestea; 03-05-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:24 AM
marathon_runner

No, it wasn't on. I've only got around 500 miles on the car, could it just be a cause of initial break-in stuff?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 AM
gshb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a 6mt, but i swear i have this surge as well. the first time i thought it was a fluke, maybe the floor mat or something. but it happened again tonite. im in third, revs maybe around 4k, taking a wide sweeping turn when i lift off the throttle when the turn gets tighter. all of a sudden right after i do that the engine surges for like a second, totally breaking my concentration on the turn. i thought maybe the LSD was slow and kicked in, but i could hear the engine rev up for that one second, which shouldnt happen with my foot off the pedal especially with a force that felt like getting hit from the back.

both times this happened to me was on a turn that progressively got tighter, necessitating foot off the throttle.

im really hoping im not the only one experiencing this.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:50 PM
splitmx

Is the TSB number ITB07-048? i have this problem and infiniti riverside said they didnt know about any surging of the car or notice anything when driving it(of course) i want this fixed...iv had the same problem as a lot of you....pulling into parking spots, driveway, stoplights, etc. it happens rarely but when it does.... lol.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Steve2112

Itb07-04801
Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 AM
axylus

Just an FYI, I had this same problem and initially was told that there was no issues with the car. I later found the TSB and went back to the dealer, where I was able to go out on the road with a mechanic. He identified that there was indeed a problem and fixed it. I haven't had any issues since then. I also had a knocking noise under the car... there was a TSB for this also and that too was fixed.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:06 PM
redwillow
Registered Member

anyone with a 2009 had this fixed?
Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 PM
kingkong79

Just had it done to my 2008 auto coupe. So far smooth (no crazy surge) in DS mode with WOT and immediate heavy braking. In non DS mode, I can't really tell the diff ( the previous surge in non-DS wasn't that bad), I guess it it smoother. No noticeable power loss or acceleration delays.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:31 PM
focker

I have an 09 g37x coupe, and i'm experiencing this same problem. It feels like the car downshifts very hard from 3rd gear to second. I only have 400 miles on my car, and i don't know if i should reflash it now or wait until after the break in period.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Gyoza

Originally Posted by focker
I have an 09 g37x coupe, and i'm experiencing this same problem. It feels like the car downshifts very hard from 3rd gear to second. I only have 400 miles on my car, and i don't know if i should reflash it now or wait until after the break in period.
This TSB is only for cars built before Dec 08, so it doesnt apply to you.

I just had this done on my car and it resolved the increased idle RPM state the car would sometimes get into as well as the unexpected surges. So far so good!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:43 PM
pdarby

Yep, just had mine done too. Fixed the surge problem. Just got back from putting my Stillens on, ready for the road trip to Biloxi this weekend for some fun. Anyone wanna go???

PD
Old 09-15-2009, 03:00 PM
BOXER83

What mode does this occur in so i can watch for this issue?

Originally Posted by oct2274
the engine intermittently experiences a small rpm increase (less than 500 rpm) for a short duration during braking.

This is for automatic's only

i tried to upload the pdf, but the size limit is on the forums is set very small so it wouldn't accept it even though it is only just over 300k

here is a link to the tsb, but you have to be a member of these forums to download the pdf

click me

can we get the pdf size limits increase please. The limit set now isn't going to allow most tsb pdf's to be uploaded.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:56 AM
KCM

Crash!!
My G37XS was bought in Aug 09 and it now has 3600km on it. Never had an issue with it until last Wed (Dec 30). While coming to a red light with a Altima stopped in front of me. I slowed down as usual until less that 10 feet away from the Altima. I then realized I was no longer slowing down and my rpm went up despite my foot is on the brake. I pressed on the brake as hard as possible but it was too late. The Altima was pushed forward (not by momentum). The G finally stopped after pushing the Altima a couple of feet. I put the shifter to P and the RPM went back to normal. I initially thought maybe there was ice on the road, but then none of the ABS or Traction Control lights come on. The road was fine! After exchanging insurance info, my wife and I continued on to Costco. While I was waiting for a parking spot (foot on brake) at Costco, my wife commented what was going on as the engine was revving!! I quickly shifted the car to P and the RPM went down to normal again.
First thing I did after that was I went to a mechanic that I trust to confirm it was not the winter mat. It was re-confirmed by the dealer that it could not have been the mat. I then took the car to the dealer. After an hour, they said they found nothing wrong. At the third stop at the body shop, I was told there was a 07 G35 at the shop for a similar cause.
The estimate on the Altima was Cdn$1700 and mine was $4700. After talking to my insurance broker, I was advised to pay for the damages myself as I would be considered at fault. Therefore, I did not report this incident to the police.
There is a TSB posted on this thread. Does anyone know if there is one for Canadian 09 car?
As this is a fault should have been known to Infiniti, I will demand they pay for all damages and buy my car back. My car is dangerous. I considered myself lucky that it was an Altima that I hit, not a child crossing a crosswalk.
What should my course of action be?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:36 AM
ifinity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
update your software? prevent Alzheimers! or check throttle body?

I think everyone should get the ECM software updated and make a note of the change in the sw p/n. Since having it done months ago, I have not experienced any more rpm surges, the idle rpm stays lower, and the heavy knock has not returned. Toyota and Nissan may be sharing the same software?

Saw another point that the Toyota and Nissan throttle body may be subject to cracking at a shaft and sticking open...but I would think that should show up pretty quickly and consistently after trying other attempted fixes (like securing your floormat -- actually pops off too easily in my G -- I had to add a 4d nail thru the post):
Toyota Sudden Acceleration Recall: Anonymous Whistle Blower IDs Cracked Throttle Bodies | InjuryBoard Kansas City
On November 27, about a month after NHTSA closed its latest Toyota unintended acceleration investigation with another pedal interference conclusion, some Kentuckian’s conscience got the better of him/her. Here is the anonymous note addressed the then-Acting Administrator Ronald Medford:
“There are potentially hundreds of Toyota and Nissan vehicles driving American highways with cracked shaft throttle bodies. Japanese management up to and including company president was aware of the cracked shaft problem and told everyone to be quiet about this problem.
The failure mode on DFMEA for broken throttle shaft is no throttle control and potential wide open acceleration. The Toyota floor mats caused American deaths. Will you sit on this information and possibly cause more American deaths? It bothers me that I did not tell anyone sooner. I have another throttle body in same condition that can be sent to Automotive News. Concerned Citizen” [who probably worked at the Japanese owned Kentucky company that made them?]

And we own a 2009 Camry with the "safe" Denso accelerator pedal assembly. "We're all going to die!" (hope someone can statistically figure out what vehicles are doing all the rear-endings...Alzhiemer's disease may be increasing from that as well: BBC News | Health | Whiplash 'could cause Alzheimer's'
"Research showing how sudden head movements - such as those caused by car accidents - can cause Alzheimer's Disease is helping scientists unlock the secrets of the illness. Even small head injuries can cause disease years later. It is well-known that a blow to the head can cause damage which eventually leads to the degenerative disease. But a team at the University of Pennsylvania is claiming to have found the first physical evidence that even "non-contact" injuries can trigger Alzheimer's. The sudden change of direction caused by a violent jerk crashes the brain into the skull wall, damaging sensitive nerve fibres and setting in motion a chain reaction."

I would dismiss all this as a media conspiracy by the "Big 3", except for having experienced the surge problem myself. Of course, GM, Ford, and Chrysler have had their body parts pulled through the wringer a few times themselves!
Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 PM
rallycobra

I have less than 2000 miles on my new auto 09 g37x sedan and I definitely experienced this. I was pulling into my driveway under braking and the car downshifted and revmatched causing the car to lunge forward. The car downshifted and bliped its throttle on it's own like I was heel and toeing a manual, and I think it was the 3>2 shift. I may have been in DS mode, I don't recall.

There was no side of the foot hitting the gas, I was steady braking down from 40mph. Hell, I only have size 8 feet, it's hard to find ski boots for men that small! This was a big quick throttle blip that occured with steady braking pressure and no slip of the foot.

I am 100% behind the OP. I experienced it first hand. There is a situation where the car will lunge on a downshift revmatch. I haven't tried to reproduce it, but it's there.

Quick Reply: 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe Intermittent/short Duration Small Rpm Increase During Braking