Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

The G37S is a great track car

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 07:50 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Mazda does the same thing, using the ECU to drive the coolant temp and oil pressure gauges. You need data logging to know real temps. Oil temp gauge kit should be easy to acquire and install.

Us 7AT owners are screwed again. The three-pass(!) CSF radiator isn't available for the auto. We have to suffer with the two-row single-pass exchanger.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 06-05-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:10 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Looking at the rest of the 370Z work, I don't see where Kojima did anything about the diff yet. I'm curious to see the solution.

About data logging, the Innovate OT-2 looks intriguing.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:00 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Mazda does the same thing, using the ECU to drive the coolant temp and oil pressure gauges. You need data logging to know real temps. Oil temp gauge kit should be easy to acquire and install.

Us 7AT owners are screwed again. The three-pass(!) CSF radiator isn't available for the auto. We have to suffer with the two-row single-pass exchanger.
That's a bummer.

Looking at the rest of the 370Z work, I don't see where Kojima did anything about the diff yet. I'm curious to see the solution.

About data logging, the Innovate OT-2 looks intriguing.
I went with the Z1 diff cover with cooling fins and more capacity and I upgraded to Redline fluid. Hopefully, that is enough to keep it cool. Last year it got so hot it actually melted the ABS sensors?!? The diff cover has plugs for a cooler, but I no one makes one specific to our cars yet that I know of. No idea where I would find room to mount it either.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Like this?

motorsports.com/product/ma-motorsports-370z-differential

$1,000
Attached Thumbnails The G37S is a great track car-screenshot_20170608-160143.png  
Old 06-09-2017, 11:24 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Splitter
Like this?

motorsports.com/product/ma-motorsports-370z-differential

$1,000
Nice find! Hopefully, I will not have to go to that extreme. It seems a bit pricey considering it is about 3 times as much as a 25 row oil cooler for the engine.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bsanalyst
Yup, confirmed that it reads VVT Oil temp. See screenshot below. You DO need to purchase the Infiniti plugin as the default "Oil temp" metric does not work with the Infiniti ECU.

Unfortunately no indication of an oil pressure reading.

If anyone is curious, the readings below were after a cold start, 10 min city drive (ambient temp 56F), and idling still for a few min.

Oil temps seem to consistently rise as the engine is used. Coolant and intake temps will rise when idling and fall when moving, which makes sense. Accelerometer is off because you need to calibrate it to the phone's current position - this also means that if I want an accurate accelerometer reading at the event, I will need to strap down my phone somewhere :P

Which ap is this and what plug-in did you have to get to make it work? It would be awesome to have a cheap way to get accurate coolant and oil temps at the track. Wait, was your VVT oil temp accurate? I noticed you later mentioned your oil hit 282 degrees without going into limp mode?!?
Old 06-10-2017, 12:07 PM
Splitter

Torque Pro
Advanced EX for Infiniti (plugin)
Old 06-10-2017, 12:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Torque Pro
Advanced EX for Infiniti (plugin)

Thanks. So I assume it is Torque Pro and not Torque Lite? I see the Advanced EX for Infiniti plugin for the ap, but how does it communicate with the car to get coolant and oil temps? I cannot imagine it can do that via bluetooth. Do you need something else to plug into the OBDII?
Old 06-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Splitter

Correct, Torque Pro is required to get the extra features.
The plug-in tells the app how to map the PID to read the ECU correctly.

You need an OBD2 scanner to talk to your phone, there are plenty that connect via bluetooth and I use and like this one:
Amazon Amazon

It has a higher scan rate than the cheap ones and it has lasted several times longer than the last cheaper one I bought. There is an iPhone version of the scanner too if you swing that way.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 01:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Correct, Torque Pro is required to get the extra features.
The plug-in tells the app how to map the PID to read the ECU correctly.

You need an OBD2 scanner to talk to your phone, there are plenty that connect via bluetooth and I use and like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a higher scan rate than the cheap ones and it has lasted several times longer than the last cheaper one I bought. There is an iPhone version of the scanner too if you swing that way.
Ok cool, I figured it was something like that. Thanks for the link! It looks like you might also be able to read and clear CE lights too? Any other cool things you can do with the ap? It sure beats the hell out of wiring up gauges and trying to find room for them in the cabin.

So is the ap accurate for oil temps? I noticed bsanalyst mentioned he was hitting 282 degrees at an autocross which seems crazy high. I believe someone else mentioned earlier that the car usually goes into limp mode around 240-260 degrees.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Nice find! Hopefully, I will not have to go to that extreme. It seems a bit pricey considering it is about 3 times as much as a 25 row oil cooler for the engine.
Yeah, but you have to get the fluid into the cooler and back to the diff. I imagine their setup has a pump of some sort and possibly thermostatic control.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:12 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazyirish
I imagine their setup has a pump of some sort and possibly thermostatic control.
You didn't check out the link. Of course it has a pump, a Tilton brand pump. You can see the name in the photos. No mention of temperature switch.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
You didn't check out the link. Of course it has a pump, a Tilton brand pump. You can see the name in the photos. No mention of temperature switch.
Right, I was just suggesting there was a reason why it cost more than a simple oil cooler.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:06 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

A "simple" oil cooler benefits from having a pre-existing pump. The diff doesn't, thus the extra part and expense. Due to the small size of the exchanger and the difficulty in getting directed air to it, the kit includes a small electric fan. $$$.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:14 AM
Splitter

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
So is the ap accurate for oil temps?
It's reading straight from the ECU, there's no interpretation or manipulation of the number.

Quick Reply: The G37S is a great track car