Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

The G37S is a great track car

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 05:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Splitter
It's reading straight from the ECU, there's no interpretation or manipulation of the number.
So then the car does not go into limp mode at an oil temp of 282 degrees like bsanalyst hit at his autocross? That seems like a ridiculously high temp for the oil. I thought it broke down at anything over 240 degrees.

There must be another scree then that is giving bsanalyst the oil temp of 282 degrees since the "VVT oil temp" he mentioned looks like it only goes up to 180 degrees and he said the regular oil temp gauge on the ap did not work with Infiniti.

Has anyone else used this Torque Pro ap with good luck? Really just interested in accurate oil and coolant temps. If it worked to read and erase CE lights, that would also be good.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Haven't used mine on the G to do coolant and oil temps, but can confirm it reads and clears engine codes.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:02 AM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Yes, I use it for all my gauges. It works well! I have it setup to read AFR, EGT, oil/water temps, short/long term fuel trims, MAF g/s, intake air temps, and timing advance. It also has a mode for boost reading derived from MAF, which isn't accurate, but I've played with that too. Overall, it's great! If I were to wire up all those gauges, it would have cost me a bunch. In this case, it cost me ~$30 for the OBD2 transmitter, and ~$35 for a cheap 7" Android tablet.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Epiphany
Haven't used mine on the G to do coolant and oil temps, but can confirm it reads and clears engine codes.
That is probably worth the cost of admission on its own. Does it actually tell you what the CE light is caused by or does it just give you some random number you have to look up to see what it means.

Originally Posted by RadioFlyer
Yes, I use it for all my gauges. It works well! I have it setup to read AFR, EGT, oil/water temps, short/long term fuel trims, MAF g/s, intake air temps, and timing advance. It also has a mode for boost reading derived from MAF, which isn't accurate, but I've played with that too. Overall, it's great! If I were to wire up all those gauges, it would have cost me a bunch. In this case, it cost me ~$30 for the OBD2 transmitter, and ~$35 for a cheap 7" Android tablet.
I am sure these gauges can be shown on my phone as well? This would be great for track days for me since I could switch between this ap and one I have for lap times.

What is the temp range for oil and water temps and which gauge do you use for oil temps? The pic from bsanalyst shows the VVT temp (he referred to VVT oil temp) only going up to about 180 degrees and he said the regular oil temp. did not work for our cars so he had to rely on VVT oil temp. Does not really make sense though as he said he saw temps as high as 282 degrees!?!

I assume AFR is air/fuel ratio? I also assume MAF is mass air flow, but what is MAF g/s?

Thanks for all the reviews. Anyone else use this ap that can comment?
Old 06-13-2017, 02:22 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
It gives you a code, but the codes are pretty universal. Better knowing via a google search than nothing at all.

I use the Android version of the app on my phone, so whenever I'm at the track I just leave it on the mount so I can monitor everything. It also data logs to an XML file, should you so choose. The gauges are pretty customizable as well.

Mine isn't fully set-up, so I can't comment on MAF g/s, but I think as you're going through and setting up the fields that it can measure, it should give a quick description of what it's measuring.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bPChaos
It gives you a code, but the codes are pretty universal. Better knowing via a google search than nothing at all.
I agree. It would be cool to have a description, but being able to see codes and clear them will be great.

Especially, since my car seems to very sporadically go into limp mode under hard acceleration ever since I did the Z1 400hp tune. It could possibly just be a bad MAF sensor, but still waiting on it to go into limp mode again so I can confirm.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:22 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RadioFlyer
I am probably going to pick up the OBDII reader and get the ap today since I have a track day in one week. I still have a few questions...

What is the temp range for oil and water temps and which gauge do you use for oil temps? The pic from bsanalyst shows the VVT temp (he referred to VVT oil temp) only going up to about 180 degrees and he said the regular oil temp. did not work for our cars so he had to rely on VVT oil temp. Does not really make sense though as he said he saw temps as high as 282 degrees!?!

I assume AFR is air/fuel ratio? I also assume MAF is mass air flow, but what is MAF g/s?

Old 06-21-2017, 02:29 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
G/s = grams per second?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:38 PM
bsanalyst

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I am probably going to pick up the OBDII reader and get the ap today since I have a track day in one week. I still have a few questions...

Hey 4DR, the screenshot is misleading. The scale adjusts depending on the current value. The 282 was indeed showing in my "VVT Oil Temp" reading. During normal city driving in the summer I am at 200. During my most recent autox on fresh oil, it peaked at 240.

I don't believe limp mode actually kicks in until a little higher than that. I did not feel any limp mode or experience any CELs at 282.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bsanalyst
Hey 4DR, the screenshot is misleading. The scale adjusts depending on the current value. The 282 was indeed showing in my "VVT Oil Temp" reading. During normal city driving in the summer I am at 200. During my most recent autox on fresh oil, it peaked at 240.
Where did you find the VVT oil temp reading? I have the Torque ap and the Advanced EX plugin for Infiniti but I do not see "VVT oil temp" anywhere. I see one for "oil temp," but it does not work on our cars.

So are you saying above that even though the ap showed 282, that was not the actual temperature. If so, what was the correct temperature?

At least this ap gives coolant temp, one intake temp (weird since there are two), and 2 cat temps (each side?), but the rest of the gauges you can add seem pointless. Anyone know where to find accurate oil temps?
Old 06-23-2017, 01:30 PM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Just go through the list one by one until you see one that has VVT oil temp in the name. It may be CVVT.

The app reads what the ECU sees, so if it said 282 then that was the oil temp.

VVT oil temp is the one and only, otherwise you're up for a sandwich plate and your own sensor on the oil filter with a gauge in the cabin. The VVT is what causes high temps in these engines, it runs very hot.

Is the intake temp the sensor in front of the radiator?
Old 06-23-2017, 02:04 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Splitter
Just go through the list one by one until you see one that has VVT oil temp in the name. It may be CVVT.

The app reads what the ECU sees, so if it said 282 then that was the oil temp.

VVT oil temp is the one and only, otherwise you're up for a sandwich plate and your own sensor on the oil filter with a gauge in the cabin. The VVT is what causes high temps in these engines, it runs very hot.

Is the intake temp the sensor in front of the radiator?
Can you check to see what the "VVT oil temp" is listed for you because I do not have anything listed for VVT or CVVT, just the generic oil temp that does not work on our cars.

No, the intake temp is a different sensor as it reads much higher than the air temp. and there is another setting for ambient temp, but my car already tells me that.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 06-23-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I'll check when I get home, turns out you need to be connected to the car to see the advanced PIDs
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Epiphany- how do you clear engine codes? There is a link for "clearing fault codes," but it just gives me a generic message saying "emissions monitors are reset by the ECU each time fault codes are cleared..."
Old 06-23-2017, 02:24 PM
bsanalyst

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Where did you find the VVT oil temp reading? I have the Torque ap and the Advanced EX plugin for Infiniti but I do not see "VVT oil temp" anywhere. I see one for "oil temp," but it does not work on our cars.

So are you saying above that even though the ap showed 282, that was not the actual temperature. If so, what was the correct temperature?

At least this ap gives coolant temp, one intake temp (weird since there are two), and 2 cat temps (each side?), but the rest of the gauges you can add seem pointless. Anyone know where to find accurate oil temps?
Settings > Manage PID extra PIDs/Sensors > select VVT Oil Temp (you must be connected to the ECU for the app to detect the extra PIDs).

Then you have to add a display to your "real time information" screen and select the VVT Oil Temp.

As far as I know, the VVT oil temp displayed is the correct temp. As splitter said, it is a direct read from the ECU.

Hope that helps!
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (06-23-2017)

Quick Reply: The G37S is a great track car