Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

The G37S is a great track car

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:20 PM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Just FYI guys! There will be another open track day hosted by Driven and Blessed on October 12! Please let me know if interested! This time registration will be $170 and $10 for covered parking (if available).

The G37S is a great track car-photo35.jpg
Old 08-29-2017, 11:53 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I finally got the Z1/Stillen brake ducts installed on my sedan and the installation went even better than planned. The ducts are pretty durable so no tears and pretty flexible so they made the 90 degree turn on the passenger side into the fog light housing. More info. on my build thread.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:48 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Nice. Looks very similar to Splitter's install.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:48 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I got a new Samsung Galaxy 8 and set up the Torque ap. I can clear CE lights, but it does not read the codes anymore- it tries, but comes up blank on the same code it used to read. Worked fine for reading codes on my old Galaxy S4.

Any ideas? Am I missing some setting I am forgetting about. Thanks!

Still trying to figure out these stupid mass air flow sensor codes I keep getting. I think something is wrong with the Z1 "400hp" tune with their intakes and intake plenum. I go into limp mode almost every time I hit 5,000 rpm. Pretty useless package when that is where most of the gains are.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:52 PM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Are you tuned? If so, ask your tuner to shut off the MAF B1/2 High Voltage CEL. If you're not tuned and this is how the kit comes, then I'd agree with you - the kit is specifically d3signed to increase breathing, so if that sets off the CEL, then there isn't a point.

Maybe check with Z1? They've been pretty helpful to me for follow-up service when I've bought something from them in the past.

Not sure about the Torque issue, could be an Android version issue? My very very cheap RCA tablet works with Torque as it is, so I avoid any updates or changes to the system. It was just a $35 tablet, so I bought it specifically for Torque, and I keep it as a closed system. I've found that some of the smaller-company apps, like Torque, can't keep up with the OS changes, so that's why I try not to change anything once it's working. It's a different story for the bigger companies that are constantly developing like Amazon or Fit Bit.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 10-09-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yes, I have the Z1 400hp pckg. with all the parts and tune. I feel like I am the only sedan with this kit. Z1 has been a major pain to get this issue resolved. Jon keeps telling me he will send me a cable to fix the tune, but never does. Spencer tells me they don't have a cable to send. I called Jon yesterday and he just put me on hold. Russ picked up and said it could not be the tune and told me to put my stock intakes back on to make sure nothing is wrong with the intakes. Major pain to pull the front bumper off and try to get the accessory hoses off the intakes.

I feel like I am just missing a step on the Torque ap as it does not operate very logically. It worked fine on my Samsung S4, but having this issue with my new S8.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Shame to hear about the troubles!

To be honest I'm not so sure about the 'stock' ecu tunes, nor the road tunes either really, you just can't beat the attention that the car gets on the dyno compared to whatever precautions they have to take to ensure all sorts of different motors don't go bang on an off the shelf tune. Not that that helps you at all, but interesting to hear about your troubles with Z1, I've had good interaction with Spencer.

In fact, I've got these goodies to go on here shortly:

I have an autocross November 4 with a buddy also driving my car and I'm using that as shakedown for COTA in December!
Old 10-17-2017, 02:12 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Nice, let me know what you think of the new parts. I am also interested in the subframe bushing spacers.

I agree with you on the dyno tunes. If I had to do it all over again I would definitely do that, especially since I just discovered an Uprev tuning shop only about 1 1/2 hour drive from me.

I have had good luck with Spencer too, but Jon, their tuner, is another story. After months of being told he would send me a cable to diagnose my tuning issue, he finally came clean last week that he did not have any cables to send?!? So I bought a cable he said I could return. It just arrived so hopefully it is an easy fix. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:09 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Also curious/interested in the subframe bushings. Let us know how that goes?

Have any of you guys had fuel starvation issues, similar to the 370Z guys, in right hand sweepers? I've not run into any of these issues personally (might just be that I'm not going fast enough) but recently was chatting with a few friends of mine who consistently have this issue and they brought it up again.

I wonder what the difference between the two fuel tanks are. They're both a mid-mount saddle, and they look the same from underneath.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:20 PM
Splitter

I’m hopeful I’ll get the bushings in this weekend or next.

I have had the fuel starve for sure. I just fill up completely after EVERY run, otherwise experience fuel starve. I forgot to fill up after one session at COTA and after turn 16 - the 180 degree Right handler - with 3/4 tank I struggled with fuel starve for another 3 corners before it cleared, I actually thought it was an overheating engine and cut the session short. So, yeah, long story, problem is the same as the Z, as you’ve pointed out it’s the same tank. I have looked at the z1 kit, but it’s not that hard to just top up after each run.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:22 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bPChaos
Have any of you guys had fuel starvation issues, similar to the 370Z guys, in right hand sweepers? I've not run into any of these issues personally (might just be that I'm not going fast enough) but recently was chatting with a few friends of mine who consistently have this issue and they brought it up again.

I wonder what the difference between the two fuel tanks are. They're both a mid-mount saddle, and they look the same from underneath.
I did have this issue at Road America last year, but it was because I was fairly low on fuel. I think I had already done 3 sessions on one tank of gas and was trying to squeeze in a 4th. The tank was just a little too low. After that if I made sure I had 1/2 a tank at the start, I was good.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:30 PM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
I've had the fuel starve issue at 3/4 tank on an uphill right-hand sweeper. Not sure why up hill would make a difference, as anytime you're accelerating, the fuel is pushed to the back of the tanks anyway, but that's when I've experienced it.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:26 AM
Splitter

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I got a new Samsung Galaxy 8 and set up the Torque ap. I can clear CE lights, but it does not read the codes anymore- it tries, but comes up blank on the same code it used to read. Worked fine for reading codes on my old Galaxy S4.
Did you ever figure this one out?

I haven't used torque in a while and wanted to log oil temp this morning, but the VVT temp has disappeared from the custom PID screen. In fact, there used to be 11 or so custom PID's, but now only 4.

Nothing I do seems to be able to find it but it used to work just fine. I've got a Pixel so I'm wondering if it's a newer version of android thing, will have to try out another phone and see what I can figure out.

**EDIT** - Deleted and reinstalled the plugin and now the custom PID list is about 20 strong. Will update once I connect to the car and check if they read anything.

**EDIT** well, that fixed it. Chilly weather out, almost time to block off the oil cooler.
Attached Thumbnails The G37S is a great track car-screenshot_20171024-112153.png  

Last edited by Splitter; 10-24-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:06 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Splitter
Did you ever figure this one out?

I haven't used torque in a while and wanted to log oil temp this morning, but the VVT temp has disappeared from the custom PID screen. In fact, there used to be 11 or so custom PID's, but now only 4.

Nothing I do seems to be able to find it but it used to work just fine. I've got a Pixel so I'm wondering if it's a newer version of android thing, will have to try out another phone and see what I can figure out.

**EDIT** - Deleted and reinstalled the plugin and now the custom PID list is about 20 strong. Will update once I connect to the car and check if they read anything.

**EDIT** well, that fixed it. Chilly weather out, almost time to block off the oil cooler.

No, no one had any fixes for why it would not read the CE codes. Hopefully, I am beyond that as I am in the process of fixing my horrible Z1 400hp tune. I really hope I can just use the ap for temps at track days. Fingers crossed...

I know what you mean about cooler temps. Less than a week ago it was almost 80 degrees here. Starting yesterday our highs are only in the 40s now?!?

You block off your oil cooler? With what? Don't you have a thermostatic plate so it doesn't open when it is cold out? Come to think of it, I should probably block off my brake ducts now.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:59 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Must be nice... it hit 106 here in Southern California just yesterday.

As for blocking off an oil cooler, ghetto way is to ziptie cardboard to the front. Or you could make something nicer. Cardboard works though. Lol.

Quick Reply: The G37S is a great track car