G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
^^^
man that car is pretty
Old 08-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
That Caddy is a lot of car. Awkward looking from the rear, but even then it's so over-the-top that it's actually kind of fascinating. Either way... impressive, monsterous car.

For what seems like 4 years now, I've been lusting after the Jag F-Type S 6MT. And to this day, I'm still feeling it in a huge way, almost more as a work of art than a daily driver. It's so freaking beautiful to me, inside and out. But lately, like just in the last few months, I find myself rolling over into a new, more mundane goal. I think when the day comes, I'll be getting a Porsche Mecan S (or maybe the GTS). Not the Mecan (twin) Turbo... that's too much car, IMO. It's a combination of motivations: undeniable old age, a shift (no pun) into luxury over sport, and a surprising appreciation for my wife's little Forester.

IDK if this will stick with me for the remainder of my G ownership, which according to plan is still 4 years out, but today this is what I'm feeling.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:28 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuckermaclain

This is my replacement. Almost 3 years old now. Mods were a full tune with methanol injection and larger heat exchangers for 593 WHP. New rubber is Nitto R555R's in 305/30-18 in the rear, and the newest Michelins in factory size on the front. Put tactilestranducers in both front seats with a 750W mono sub amp to shake bass without being loud. It is just a pleasure to drive. You can pick up a used one pretty cheap and it will give you tons of fun. Fun to toy with stock Mustangs and Camaros. These rear wheels are good in the rain, but for laying down all the power I use Toyo R888Rs in 305/30/19. Not as good in the rain though. Too bad its not AWD. It is totally a hoot to drive. A few friends still have the G and they have loved this when they drove it.
Nice car

Originally Posted by Rochester
For what seems like 4 years now, I've been lusting after the Jag F-Type S 6MT. And to this day, I'm still feeling it in a huge way, almost more as a work of art than a daily driver. It's so freaking beautiful to me, inside and out. But lately, like just in the last few months, I find myself rolling over into a new, more mundane goal. I think when the day comes, I'll be getting a Porsche Mecan S (or maybe the GTS). Not the Mecan (twin) Turbo... that's too much car, IMO. It's a combination of motivations: undeniable old age, a shift (no pun) into luxury over sport, and a surprising appreciation for my wife's little Forester.

IDK if this will stick with me for the remainder of my G ownership, which according to plan is still 4 years out, but today this is what I'm feeling.
That's a pretty radical shift for you after listening to you lusting over the Jag for years now. At least you have a few more years to sort things out. Age, priorities, financial goals are all influencing factors that can't be denied in future automotive decisions.

I really hope I can make that 3rd car work in a few years.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
That's a pretty radical shift for you after listening to you lusting over the Jag for years now. At least you have a few more years to sort things out. Age, priorities, financial goals are all influencing factors that can't be denied in future automotive decisions.
You're right, no argument from me. My age and my girls higher education are chipping away at a hobby I was passionate about all my life, but am starting to think isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Also, I haven't actually driven my G in three weeks now, and am getting used to it.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:05 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
You're right, no argument from me. My age and my girls higher education are chipping away at a hobby I was passionate about all my life, but am starting to think isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Also, I haven't actually driven my G in three weeks now, and am getting used to it.

The following users liked this post:
obsidiansamurai (08-24-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 12:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

LOL. I don't expect to be marched naked through the streets of King’s Landing any time soon.

I'll be driving the G for years to come yet. Plenty of time for plans to change.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:40 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

My age and my girls higher education are chipping away at a hobby I was passionate about all my life, but am starting to think isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things.
Yup. I'm not as old as you but I no longer get excited about spending an afternoon crawling around on the garage floor to swap lowering springs on. I'd just as soon rather camp out at the pool and drink some beers. Not to say I won't be modding, but I don't think it will take as high a priority in my life than in the past. We'll see if that lasts

Still??? That would kinda be eating away at me.....
Old 08-22-2018, 01:05 PM
gord27
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
For any 6MT guys moving to AT in your next car, are you pre-pared for your G to be your last 6MT?

I'm looking to go back to MT in my next car because I know it will probably be my last MT and I'm thinking about what would be the best MT experience to "ride off into the sunset" with. As such, I'm considering a '15 SI to be our second car that won't get used on road trips and I want something fun that'll take a beating and last forever.

A Golf R could be our primary road tripper but I've always avoided it due to perceived higher maintenance costs. Plus how well will it fit 2 kids (one existing shortly, one planned)? That said, I've certainly looked up the used prices thanks to this thread today.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Still??? That would kinda be eating away at me.....
I know, right? In any other reality, this would be a crisis. But somehow I've managed to push it down, and tell myself I'll address whatever it is after I get my kid off to college. Which is tomorrow, BTW. Driving her to school tomorrow. Steeling myself for my wife crying off and on all the way home.

Originally Posted by gord27
For any 6MT guys moving to AT in your next car, are you pre-pared for your G to be your last 6MT?
There is a certain inevitability to it. But hey... Porsche's PDK is pretty awesome, or so I've read.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:54 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

A Golf R could be our primary road tripper but I've always avoided it due to perceived higher maintenance costs. Plus how well will it fit 2 kids (one existing shortly, one planned)? That said, I've certainly looked up the used prices thanks to this thread today.
I feel like there is more room in the backseat of th R, and my kids agree. The door map pocket/bottle holders are great for the kids headphones and a couple toys, and they’re carpeted, so no rattles. Rear HVAC vents with fan control is a bonus.

I dont think maintenance costs costs should be anymore than a GTI.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:34 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuckermaclain

This is my replacement. Almost 3 years old now. Mods were a full tune with methanol injection and larger heat exchangers for 593 WHP. New rubber is Nitto R555R's in 305/30-18 in the rear, and the newest Michelins in factory size on the front. Put tactilestranducers in both front seats with a 750W mono sub amp to shake bass without being loud. It is just a pleasure to drive. You can pick up a used one pretty cheap and it will give you tons of fun. Fun to toy with stock Mustangs and Camaros. These rear wheels are good in the rain, but for laying down all the power I use Toyo R888Rs in 305/30/19. Not as good in the rain though. Too bad its not AWD. It is totally a hoot to drive. A few friends still have the G and they have loved this when they drove it.
Nice car. I am thinking about a 6spd. ATS-V sedan for myself, but it looks like it will be even more difficult to find than my 6spd. G37S sedan was. I do keep looking at the M3 as well though. Have you compared those two? What type of tune and other mods did you do? What size tires do you run up front and did you have to roll fenders or change anything in the suspension to get those 305's to fit? Anything you don't like about it or anything to keep an eye on? Thanks!
Old 08-22-2018, 03:23 PM
markyo0o

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Nice car. I am thinking about a 6spd. ATS-V sedan for myself, but it looks like it will be even more difficult to find than my 6spd. G37S sedan was. I do keep looking at the M3 as well though. Have you compared those two? What type of tune and other mods did you do? What size tires do you run up front and did you have to roll fenders or change anything in the suspension to get those 305's to fit? Anything you don't like about it or anything to keep an eye on? Thanks!
Finally got to test drive one and if I had to choose a BMW as a daily I'd pick a 435i. Doesn't take away from the fact the M3 is extremely fun to drive and sounds amazing.

IMO the ride was just too stiff for me as a daily and you could feel every bump in the road. If you don't mind the stiff ride and can live with that on a daily basis than the M3 of course is an amazing pick.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:03 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ not yet, but i can see this happening after my next vehicle. i am on the precipice of saying good-bye to the G37 (still haven't made a final decision), but my immediate next vehicle will be a 6MT. the vehicle after that? i strongly suspect i'll go AT.

some part of me has wanted to own a Euro brand (besides my first car being a Jetta), so i could see getting into an AMG C-class or whatever MB will be making at that time as long as it's RWD-biased. since i keep my cars for a relatively long time, this timing will line up with ~mid-life or close enough. so i suppose i'd also be considering a mid-life crisis coupe. time will tell, but for the next 8-9 years anyways i'll be sticking with 6MT.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:25 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by markyo0o
Finally got to test drive one and if I had to choose a BMW as a daily I'd pick a 435i. Doesn't take away from the fact the M3 is extremely fun to drive and sounds amazing.

IMO the ride was just too stiff for me as a daily and you could feel every bump in the road. If you don't mind the stiff ride and can live with that on a daily basis than the M3 of course is an amazing pick.
You're not the first one to make this comment about the 435. Lots of people seem to recommend them as a happy 'middle ground' for those looking for a sporty, comfortable, DD.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:29 PM
jusseth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see alot of good responses on here.

Given the G is barely at 63k miles, I have alot to go. Prob in several years when my lease if up on our Frontier (mostly wife drives it) we will be looking for something nice/sporty/lux. Wife and I have been going back and forth on either a Porsche Macan (either trim), Porsche Panamera (wagon) or sticking with Infiniti - Q60 RS (I miss a coupe).

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?