G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 08:38 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Some cars wheels are an accessory...the car looks good independent of the wheel choice. I think the SS is heavily dependent on wheel choice. Those wheels look amazing and elevate the looks of the SS beyond what most would say is just a glorified Malibu or Impala.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:41 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
It didn't *feel* like it could handle well, because of the size and weight. But the summer tires and magnetic ride dampers made it a point-and-shoot rocket.
While seemingly contradictory, I think I understand what you mean. The point-and-shoot feeling is something I think our car has in spades, probably because on the street at least, at non-felony speeds, I have more grip that power. Interesting that the SS has a similar feel.

The other thing that shocked me was how accessible the power was, from idle all the way to red line. It was super unique, breathtakingly powerful, and loaded with luxury tech. If only it didn't look like a disposable POS Chevy (which it actually isn't, but still looks like it is.)

For people like you (and me I guess), the intrinsic value of the car is the performance, the rewarding driving experience, and the undeniable uniqueness. If you can get beyond the Chevy-ness of this Aussie import, it could be a great choice.
I could get over the Chevy-ness of the exterior, but not the interior. I couldn't deal with garden variety GM interior quality/design.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,448 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I could get over the Chevy-ness of the exterior, but not the interior. I couldn't deal with garden variety GM interior quality/design.
I agree. The steering wheel is sculpted and meaty, with a flat bottom. Love that. And there's ample room... noticeably more than our car. And like I said, the tech is 100% contemporary and high-end. But the giant aluminum(ish) plastic trim surrounding everything simply cheapens the car. Might as well be a Dodge, because that's what Dodge does. On top of all that, it only comes (came) in black, which is a hard stop for me. I prefer light interiors.

Pretty sure I wouldn't make the effort to get this car should I need a replacement. But I really respect what it is, while acknowledging the aesthetic shortcomings.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

There's an ineffable quality to a nice interior. This past winter, I sat in a Lexus LC at the auto show. It was so beautiful, it hurt.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I agree. The steering wheel is sculpted and meaty, with a flat bottom. Love that. And there's ample room... noticeably more than our car. And like I said, the tech is 100% contemporary and high-end. But the giant aluminum(ish) plastic trim surrounding everything simply cheapens the car. Might as well be a Dodge, because that's what Dodge does. On top of all that, it only comes (came) in black, which is a hard stop for me. I prefer light interiors.

Pretty sure I wouldn't make the effort to get this car should I need a replacement. But I really respect what it is, while acknowledging the aesthetic shortcomings.

There is just a lot of mixed elements in there. You've got what is likely a mix of soft/hard touch black plastic, "aluminum", piano black, leather, and "suede". It's like the designers were trying too hard, and yet not on the same page. I'm in a spot where I'd be alright sacrificing outright performance for a nicer interior.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:11 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm in a spot where I'd be alright sacrificing outright performance for a nicer interior.
And yet you're considering a STi? It won't take more than a year or two for that Subby to feel cheap and tacky, better suited to a younger man.

The only satisfaction for both priorities involves spending twice as much as you're willing for something like that Lexus (or in the case of my unreasonable preference, the Jag.) That conflict leads to compromise. Barring that, drop the hobby altogether and direct your energies elsewhere.

Interesting thread, huh?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:35 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

And yet you're considering a STi? It won't take more than a year or two for that Subby to feel cheap and tacky, better suited to a younger man.

The only satisfaction for both priorities involves spending twice as much as you're willing for something like that Lexus (or in the case of my unreasonable preference, the Jag.) That conflict leads to compromise. Barring that, drop the hobby altogether and direct your energies elsewhere.

Interesting thread, huh?
Yeah, it's interesting how torn a lot of us are on what we're looking for. Even you, who seemed so set on that Jag, seems to be having a change of heart.

Last weekend, with the kids spending the night at the grand parents, my wife and I went and test drove a 2018 STI and a 2018 Golf R. I had previously driven used examples of each, so this was the first time I got to drive them in their "current" configurations. My opinions on both haven't really changed, and I've certainly bounced back and forth between the two in this thread, but to paraphrase my wife:

STI: I can't imagine spending more than 30 minutes in this car. I'm not going to veto it, because it's your car, but I'd be hard pressed to even want to run errands with the kids or take this out to dinner just the two of us on a date night.

Golf R: I never thought I'd want so much input on your car, but this is really nice. Like, nice enough I'd be OK taking this to Disney or something, knowing I can't even drive it.

For me, it's a tossup when you consider the two cars are within a couple thousand dollars. But with the pricing I've gotten on some Rs, it becomes an almost $7500 difference, and the VW has the 6/72 bumper-to-bumper warranty. I'd like to move into an R, since I think the price is great, and I appreciated the car a lot more after an extended test drive, but the numbers didn't work from a trade-in perspective for me. I've got my car posted for sale here and a couple other places, and I had someone come out last night for a test drive that seemed more than a little interested, and I'm going back and forth with a few other potential buyers. I'll see where things go. I'll be in a better financial position next year when I'm not paying for preschool, so I'm not in a hurry.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Over the last two decades, every VW I've either sat in, drove or was driven... every one of them was spot on, even the Jetta. There's a non-quantifiable quality to VW engineering and ergonomics that's very rewarding. It's similar to how BMWs feel, but without the pretentiousness. I agree with your wife. The VW is a better fit. You will probably never find yourself feeling embarrassed by the car.

Good luck with your sale.

Even you, who seemed so set on that Jag, seems to be having a change of heart.
That shift is the cost of my girls' college education. If it weren't for that, I'd be in the same emotional place I was a year ago.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:55 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Over the last two decades, every VW I've either sat in, drove or was driven... every one of them was spot on, even the Jetta. There's a non-quantifiable quality to VW engineering and ergonomics that's very rewarding. It's similar to how BMWs feel, but without the pretentiousness. I agree with your wife. The VW is a better fit. You will probably never find yourself feeling embarrassed by the car.
Yeah, this is the kicker. Assuming whatever I get I'd have for 6 years, that would have me pushing close to 50. Rocking an STI at that age might be.....odd. Even now, pulling into work, IDK, clown car lol.

That shift is the cost of my girls' college education. If it weren't for that, I'd be in the same emotional place I was a year ago.
I totally understand that. Savings (right now, maxing our 401Ks, but a decade from now will surely shift to college) is why I'm so firm on my budget.

If the numbers don't work, they don't work. I realized as a passenger in my car, something I can't recall the last time I was, reminded me how good this car still is. Worst case scenario I keep rolling in the G37. That's not a bad worst case scenario
Old 08-03-2018, 11:35 AM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
There's an ineffable quality to a nice interior. This past winter, I sat in a Lexus LC at the auto show. It was so beautiful, it hurt.

great interior, but what in the world are those two ***** where the speedometer is? looks like frankenstein's head....
Old 08-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by mdigiorgio35
great interior, but what in the world are those two ***** where the speedometer is? looks like frankenstein's head....
Probably in here somewhere. DeMuro is pretty thorough.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:15 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

It's a very personal matter, but you seem okay with discussing so I have a question...
Why the need to pay for their college? I went to college, as the first in my extended family, on student loans and income from my own job. I knew several friends who just had it tee'd up for them and without question none of them appreciated the experience or worked as hard as I did. Most took extra time to graduate as they weren't wasting their own money. Actually heard that exact sentiment multiple times. If given the chance, would I have turned down "free money?" Probably not. I did have a couple of very small academic scholarships that I was thankful for (<$5k total). I'm proud that I did it my way and wouldn't change it. My folks could've afforded to pay some if they wanted to delay their retirement or limit their own enjoyment in the best years of their life but I would've regretted it if they had. We were pretty much typical middle class. My dad is a union pipefitter and my mom worked in a special ed classroom. We weren't poor or well off but my sister and I never truly wanted for anything. My parents had an extra commuter car that my dad drove to work to save miles on his pickup and they helped us each buy our first beater. We had a boat that we fished out of a lot and learned to ski/wakeboard behind in the summer. We camped way more then flying away to vacations afar (that is still my personal preference, with the exception of Belize...) with the token trek to Disneyland when I was 10. Lots of hunting and fishing and the annual week at the lake etc. Otherwise, modest 3 bedroom house in a rural suburb, two dogs, a cat....
I guess I wrote all this to paint a picture and to ask where the sentiment comes from that parents are obligated to pay? Why should what you drive come down to where your child wants to go to school? I don't have kids, but I experienced the situation directly from the other side and never felt entitled to what my parents earned. From that perspective, I don't think the "you don't have kids, wouldn't understand" theory holds water because I lived the exact situation. I was taken care of, loved, and emotionally supported. That's all I could ask for.

It's your money, your kids. I'm just curious.
The following users liked this post:
Boomer-Bob (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Probably a few explanations, the first being that I'm not paying for her education. Our savings are maybe a third support in a three legged stool. The other is that I never expected to feel responsible beyond 18 years of savings, up until it starting becoming a reality and I realized how inadequate that money actually is. And there's a third possibility, at risk of psycho-babble, where I'm talking myself into something.

It's only connected to the thread topic because it speaks to personal priorities when we consider getting a car that might be financially out of reach.

Blah blah blah... Jaguar.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:13 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Agree with this! I had plenty of seat time. Quite fun to drive, even though it's a huge car. And I am saying this as I wait to get into my Tesla M3 Performance which is just over 4k lbs. lol But the weight distribution is a perfect 50/50. I absolutely decided on this car in part because I will be tracking it. This report from R&T is pretty encouraging.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ce-track-test/
Old 08-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TheLocNar
Agree with this! I had plenty of seat time. Quite fun to drive, even though it's a huge car. And I am saying this as I wait to get into my Tesla M3 Performance which is just over 4k lbs. lol But the weight distribution is a perfect 50/50. I absolutely decided on this car in part because I will be tracking it. This report from R&T is pretty encouraging.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ce-track-test/
No stick shift, no care.

Enjoy your car

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?