G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
and I'm going to go all in on shifter upgrades.
Can't un-ring that bell.

Cable linkage, huh? Hmmm.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:18 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Great review, man. Some surprising insights there, especially with the transmission. I always thought the transmission was the G's weak point, with the finicky clutch and weak hydraulics. The gearbox is damn fine though.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
Great review, man. Some surprising insights there, especially with the transmission. I always thought the transmission was the G's weak point, with the finicky clutch and weak hydraulics. The gearbox is damn fine though.
The CSC might be a weak link, but the transmission itself, especially with a STS and the RJM pedal, is fantastic.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:01 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

The CSC might be a weak link, but the transmission itself, especially with a STS and the RJM pedal, is fantastic.
I guess in stock form it was a bit of a let down, especially when the last manual I owned was an Acura. With the SB Stage 2 daily, CMAK kit, and RJM pedal, I don't really have any complaints anymore, other than the expected additional noise. I don't feel like it's a guessing game when shifting from 1st to 2nd with the new setup - buttery smooth nowadays.

You might have mentioned this earlier, but do you have any plans for engine mods? My neighbor had a GTI and was always flippin' through an APR brochure, saying a stage 1 tune w/ exhaust could add something crazy like 50whp, though I think he might have been exaggerating.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:05 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
it's been a great 8 year run with the G37S 6MT. the Infiniti was the best overall car i've owned to date, and it followed a 6MT G35 sedan which was also great. alas, after 12+ years with the VQ family, i made a switch...to a Korean? i hope the G70 is half as epic as my G37S was, but it was time for a change. it certainly hurt watching/hearing the G drive away.

thank you to this incredible forum for all the knowledge passed down. not only did i save money over the years, but i gained valuable DIY skills along the way. this included last week when my SES light came on (code P2135) and i traced it to the throttle body. a quick cleaning and ECU reset (another DIY from the forum) and the car was good to go for trade in.

i do have a bunch of 'mods' i pulled off before the sale, so if i don't get any local takers i'll post them on the classifieds. eibach sways, carsmo *****, oem premium floor mats, oem trunk mat, oem wheel/tire set, and a handful of other things. i left the RJM pedal on - no way i was subjecting my back to that articulation again.

thanks again to all the contributors, and i will continue to revisit myg37.com to keep tabs on the goings-on...and watch as the posts turn more and more to questions from young 'uns about cold-air intakes and which exhaust is the loudest.

here's a quick shot of the G70 being dropped off - they 'come to you' for everything. apparently Vancouver doesn't yet have the fancy Genesis enclosed glass trailers...this flatbed is a distant second to that for presentation:

Lego_Maniac (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 01:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Bet those chrome hockeysticks on the side will be painted black within the first week.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:26 PM
canucklehead

^ ha ha, i knew that was coming. hockey stick are viewed more favorably in Canada for obvious reasons, but yes i do have plans. this trim has 'smoked chrome' or 'black chrome' bits and pieces, but some are certainly not dark enough...
Old 08-28-2018, 01:28 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

You might have mentioned this earlier, but do you have any plans for engine mods? My neighbor had a GTI and was always flippin' through an APR brochure, saying a stage 1 tune w/ exhaust could add something crazy like 50whp, though I think he might have been exaggerating.
I'm going to say no to plans for engine mods, as this is my daily driver and I'm on point for picking up/dropping off my two kids, so I don't really want to risk reliability or the 6/72 warranty. If I did anything, it would be a piggyback unit, but I'm going to instead focus on lightweight wheels and the shifter.

Your neighbor isn't exaggerating:

The APR Stage I ECU Upgrade is the first step towards making more power! This simple upgrade requires no engine hardware modifications, and produces 357-381 HP with 349-392 FT-LBS of torque. Gains as high as 66-93 HP and 68-109 FT-LBS of torque are available throughout the power band, making the vehicle exceptionally quicker in all scenarios.

The APR Stage II ECU Upgrade is the next step towards making more power! This upgrade requires a high flow Race DP exhaust system, and produces 372-387 HP with 367-409 FT-LBS of torque. Gains as high as 86-104 HP and 82-125 FT-LBS of torque are available throughout the power band.

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_u...en3_mqb_r.html

There are also tuning options for the transmission and AWD system.

Originally Posted by canucklehead
it's been a great 8 year run with the G37S 6MT. the Infiniti was the best overall car i've owned to date, and it followed a 6MT G35 sedan which was also great. alas, after 12+ years with the VQ family, i made a switch...to a Korean? i hope the G70 is half as epic as my G37S was, but it was time for a change. it certainly hurt watching/hearing the G drive away.
Damn, another 6MT down! Congrats on the new car Make sure to post up some driving impressions after you get some seat time.
obsidiansamurai (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 01:54 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts

WOW, Nice!
Old 08-28-2018, 02:11 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Awesome dude, congrats. If you ever get the time, I'm sure we'd all appreciate a write-up on your G70. I'm interested in hearing how it compares to the G37.

I'm going to say no to plans for engine mods, as this is my daily driver and I'm on point for picking up/dropping off my two kids, so I don't really want to risk reliability or the 6/72 warranty. If I did anything, it would be a piggyback unit, but I'm going to instead focus on lightweight wheels and the shifter.

Your neighbor isn't exaggerating:

The APR Stage I ECU Upgrade is the first step towards making more power! This simple upgrade requires no engine hardware modifications, and produces 357-381 HP with 349-392 FT-LBS of torque. Gains as high as 66-93 HP and 68-109 FT-LBS of torque are available throughout the power band, making the vehicle exceptionally quicker in all scenarios.

The APR Stage II ECU Upgrade is the next step towards making more power! This upgrade requires a high flow Race DP exhaust system, and produces 372-387 HP with 367-409 FT-LBS of torque. Gains as high as 86-104 HP and 82-125 FT-LBS of torque are available throughout the power band.

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_u...en3_mqb_r.html
Jesus, that's insane. I could see why he was always flipping through that brochure. He kept saying he could get it installed at the dealer too, so I'm guessing an APR tune doesn't affect reliability too significantly.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:28 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Jesus, that's insane. I could see why he was always flipping through that brochure. He kept saying he could get it installed at the dealer too, so I'm guessing an APR tune doesn't affect reliability too significantly.
It would void the powertrain warranty, I can't comment on reliability as I haven't done my due diligence on the research. Lots of VW dealerships are authorized APR dealers, and APR offers a warranty that picks up what is otherwise voided, albeit for a fee. And of course there is Cobb and Burger Tuning for additional options. The piggyback Burger tuning unit claims 11.7@114.

Good luck getting that power to the ground in a GTI though......
obsidiansamurai (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 03:44 PM
canucklehead

Awesome dude, congrats. If you ever get the time, I'm sure we'd all appreciate a write-up on your G70. I'm interested in hearing how it compares to the G37.
^ i was able to pit the G37 and G70 against each other, sort of. during my 2nd test drive a buddy came along and jumped in my G37S for a few side-by-side pulls from just off idle in 2nd and 3rd gears. one of my big concerns was going to a turbo 4-cyl after years in a large displacement V6. (if the 3.3TT was available in 6MT that would have been a slam dunk). i wanted a comparison for real world city driving for tractable power. to my surprise, the G70 faired very well. it pulled ahead each time and stayed ahead until the rpms got up to ~4500 at which point the G37S walked away - and sounded great doing it. gearing is similar between the two cars.

the G70 was not a demo - it was actually 'my car' if i wanted it, so the trick was i was letting off early in the G70 to avoid high revs and stay within reasonable speeds so it's hard to say how quickly the G37 would pull away if i had stayed in the throttle. there is no question the Infiniti had more top-end power, but i was not able to access that power very often on city streets. so day to day under 5k rpms the difference between the two cars is minimal. after 5k, the G37 is gone.

brakes/handling/turn-in are just as sharp or sharper in the G70 than the G37. the pads Genesis uses with the big sport Brembo's provide great grip. and the PS4's are a great match for the suspension. very good tire spec from the factory. body roll is comparable to the 37S, perhaps between the stock S and my eibach sways setup.

i preferred the mechanical feel of the g37 shifter. the G70 is not bad, just not as direct and with slightly longer throws - an STS would help a bunch. i had the RJM pedal which helped the 37 a ton, but i'd say the G70 is in the same ballpark. hill-start assist is a nice feature to have. the M240i 6MT i test drove beat either the G37 or G70 for clutch and shifter feel and engagement. so did the Accord 2.0T Sport 6MT.

we don't need to talk about the exhaust note comparison...that's an easy win for the G37 - but it was modified which is an unfair advantage. i'll always have the video recording i took as the dealer guy drove away in it...

the G70 interior is very well executed. nice materials, quilted nappa leather with contrast stitching, real brushed metal trim, and microsuede headliner. the new tech features, common nowadays, are a big step up from a 10 year old G37.

all in all, there will be compromises with most vehicle decisions. it's early days yet but the G70 is certainly impressing me. the car gets looks everywhere it goes, which is likely due in part to it being a new model so it stands out from the vanilla BMW/MB/Audi offerings that are a dime a dozen and almost always in black/silver/white. 5 years free maintenance and a bunch of other perks doesn't hurt.

Last edited by canucklehead; 08-28-2018 at 03:50 PM.
obsidiansamurai (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 04:23 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

^ i was able to pit the G37 and G70 against each other, sort of. during my 2nd test drive a buddy came along and jumped in my G37S for a few side-by-side pulls from just off idle in 2nd and 3rd gears. one of my big concerns was going to a turbo 4-cyl after years in a large displacement V6. (if the 3.3TT was available in 6MT that would have been a slam dunk). i wanted a comparison for real world city driving for tractable power. to my surprise, the G70 faired very well. it pulled ahead each time and stayed ahead until the rpms got up to ~4500 at which point the G37S walked away - and sounded great doing it. gearing is similar between the two cars.

the G70 was not a demo - it was actually 'my car' if i wanted it, so the trick was i was letting off early in the G70 to avoid high revs and stay within reasonable speeds so it's hard to say how quickly the G37 would pull away if i had stayed in the throttle. there is no question the Infiniti had more top-end power, but i was not able to access that power very often on city streets. so day to day under 5k rpms the difference between the two cars is minimal. after 5k, the G37 is gone.
Interesting, this mirrored my observation as well. Given room to work the the top of the RPM range, the G pulls like a *****, but around town, when you're trying to not be 3800 pounds of probably cause, the engine lacks low and mid-range torque. I see the G70 is rated at 260 lb-ft @ 1400, whereas the G makes 269 @ 5000, so the G70 probably feels more powerful in everyday driving.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

when you're trying to not be 3800 pounds of probably cause, the engine lacks low and mid-range torque.
Yes. That's why short rear gears are awesome. You would have loved this mod, Lego.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:39 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes. That's why short rear gears are awesome. You would have loved this mod, Lego.
I'm sure, I wouldn't have loved the hit to my wallet though

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?