Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I'm glad you have a positive outlook on it.

I get to enjoy proper tires year round and run the risk of working from home if it snows. I'm ok with that
Might as well see the silver lining.

Even if the roads are dry, I still have to put snows on the car, because temps can get well below freezing. Fortunately, I work at home exclusively, and go into the office maybe twice a year.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:15 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Even if the roads are dry, I still have to put snows on the car, because temps can get well below freezing. Fortunately, I work at home exclusively, and go into the office maybe twice a year.
Yeah, that's my saving grace, it rarely even gets down to freezing, and even then, my cars garage kept.

Kinda funny how some people have no idea the difference in all seasons and summer tires.

I work with an older lady who has a G37 vert. I noticed new PSS and commented "those are some pretty serious tires" and she responded something along the lines of "huh, I needed new tires to pass inspection and Costco had these in stock, what do you mean by serious tires"
Old 11-16-2017, 04:08 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Not quite sunlight lol, but not blackness either.

I bet it was far warmer than 67 there though
Originally Posted by Daddy Fat Sacs
Yea it was around 80 yesterday

It's actually been fairly cool here all week. Only 78° here today.
The following users liked this post:
Daddy Fat Sacs (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 10:44 PM
pri.g
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Rochester, WFH unless I'm traveling. This will be my first season season ever (after 3 Chicago winters, 2 with my G35s sedan, 1 with my G37s sedan) where I have winter tires. PS4S's coming off next week. Duckfeet with blizzaks will go on.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:13 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
The biggest misconception I notice people have about winter tires is they think the tires single purpose is to get you through snow. This couldn't be farther from the truth. Its more about stopping power. The rubber compound in all season and summer tires gets harder the lower the temps drop, reducing their stickyness to the road. Stopping distances increase exponentially the colder it gets if you aren't using proper compound tires. Even if you live in an area where it doesn't snow much, but still gets below 7°C or 44°F, you need winter tires. Temperature at ground level is generally a few degrees colder than it is a few meters up, so 7°C is closer to 1-2° at ground level.

Speaking of stopping power, people putting winter tires on the rear wheels only in RWD cars boggles my mind. Your front brakes do 70% (if not more) of the braking. Yes, having winters in the rear will make you accelerate better, but if you have summers on the front wheels, good luck stopping.

Ice and snow traction is the second major benefit of running winter tires. Here as well, however, there are many misconceptions. There are ice tires, snow tires, and more 'regular' winter tires. Blizzaks for example are better suited for deeper snow use because of their aggressive deep tread design, whereas Michelix X Ice don't do as well in snow, but are incredible on ice cold pavement and ice. You really have to consider where you live, and not just get the cheapest, or the most recommended brand out there. Take into consideration the conditions you normally see around the roads you drive on, and base your decision on that.

Hopefully this helps a few people out when deciding on weather to get winter tires or not, and what kind of tires you should be looking for.
The following 5 users liked this post by hexotic:
hozilla (11-19-2017), mdigiorgio35 (11-17-2017), RMB5190 (11-17-2017), Rochester (11-17-2017), slartibartfast (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 06:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Well said, Hexotic.

Let's add to the list of WTF choices people who live in a climate like Florida or SoCal, and put A/S tires on a car they consider a Sport Sedan.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Let's add to the list of WTF choices people who live in a climate like Florida or SoCal, and put A/S tires on a car they consider a Sport Sedan.
While I don't disagree, not everyone want's to replace tires every 15,000 miles.

I accrue $100/month to feed my car PSS on an almost annual basis
Old 11-17-2017, 07:48 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Excellent post Hex. Actually helped me a bit with a decision lol. I was shopping Blizzaks for the very reason you mentioned - seems to be the go to. Here in MD, we might see a few days where it snows; no more than 20-25'' accumulation for the year on avg if I had to guess. A deep freak snow every once in a while. It's the cold that gets you though. Temps are dropping into the 30-40s until 10am already. December - March will be in the teens - 20s all day. Those X Ice seem to be the better choice for me.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:19 AM
Rochester
Administrator

While I don't disagree, not everyone want's to replace tires every 15,000 miles.
Yep... higher cost for half the miles. That's true. The reason why it gets under my skin is when I read about people who compromise on tires, all the while modding their car for better driving performance. It's a head-banger.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:23 AM
Pearl4door
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not on here too often. Work and other projects keeps me busy.

So.... Purchased set of wheels from another member on this forum (big thanks for his communication and coordination), had them torn apart and refinished.

Ordered tires, on their way so they can get installed. I'll pick up the tires and wheels when I get back home later next month...
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Sedan today?-image-taken-apart.jpg   What did you do to your Sedan today?-iss-centers-done.jpg   What did you do to your Sedan today?-iss-wheels-complete.jpg  
Old 11-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Yep... higher cost for half the miles. That's true. The reason why it gets under my skin is when I read about people who compromise on tires, all the while modding their car for better driving performance. It's a head-banger.
That's the ironic part, most aren't modding for performance, they're slapping coils on for stance and big wheels and low profile tires for looks.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:57 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
This is true, but someone like myself who does put 15+K/yr on the car does get tired of $1000/pop tire replacements. I will generally look for a good "black label" or decent quality performance tire. As nice as they are, I can't justify the Michelins when there are other tires that give quality performance and wear for 1/3 less cost. I still however don't do A/S on a sport sedan. I guess that is the euro-guy in me
Old 11-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Well said, Hexotic.

Lived in Florida my entire life until last year, seeing that always blew my mind. I basically ran R-compound tires the entire year
Old 11-17-2017, 01:43 PM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
The biggest misconception I notice people have about winter tires is they think the tires single purpose is to get you through snow. This couldn't be farther from the truth. Its more about stopping power. The rubber compound in all season and summer tires gets harder the lower the temps drop, reducing their stickyness to the road. Stopping distances increase exponentially the colder it gets if you aren't using proper compound tires. Even if you live in an area where it doesn't snow much, but still gets below 7°C or 44°F, you need winter tires. Temperature at ground level is generally a few degrees colder than it is a few meters up, so 7°C is closer to 1-2° at ground level.

Speaking of stopping power, people putting winter tires on the rear wheels only in RWD cars boggles my mind. Your front brakes do 70% (if not more) of the braking. Yes, having winters in the rear will make you accelerate better, but if you have summers on the front wheels, good luck stopping.

Ice and snow traction is the second major benefit of running winter tires. Here as well, however, there are many misconceptions. There are ice tires, snow tires, and more 'regular' winter tires. Blizzaks for example are better suited for deeper snow use because of their aggressive deep tread design, whereas Michelix X Ice don't do as well in snow, but are incredible on ice cold pavement and ice. You really have to consider where you live, and not just get the cheapest, or the most recommended brand out there. Take into consideration the conditions you normally see around the roads you drive on, and base your decision on that.

Hopefully this helps a few people out when deciding on weather to get winter tires or not, and what kind of tires you should be looking for.
this is greatly appreciated as I have summers but A/S for winters and have thought about "winter tires" when those A/S go
Old 11-17-2017, 01:56 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
This place near me has the Firestone Indy 500s for 600 for all 4, I will consider. The PSS will be more like 775, then there are my A/S choices being Pirelli PZero AS for 660 or Michelin AS/3+ for right around 700.

There aren't many mid level Summer tires out there. Bridgestone S-04 have been a good value lately. The firestones, Bridgestone, and Sumitomo HTRZIII would be my choice for Mid level Summers. There are that many affordable summers out there.

There are a lot of A/S that have blurred the lines, not quite as much traction as PSS, but will last 30-50% longer.

The A/S will last longer 3yrs vs 2, but you lose about 5% traction. I wish I had picked up this one rear duckfoot I found. I would like to rotate and get more time on my tires.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?