Sponsored by:

Service Costs at Infiniti Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 AM
dvader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Costs at Infiniti Dealerships

Hey everyone

I'm looking to get a 4 wheel alignment for my G37X, and I've called three different dealers in my area (one by my house - that I bought the car at, one by my office, and one inbetween home & office) and I got three different prices! Now, I know dealers can set their own pricing for service, I understand that. BUT the prices were $129, 149, and 177! That's a big difference in my opinion. And I ask all the dealers what they do in terms of the wheel alignment, and they all do the exact same thing, just a basic alignment.

I also have an Acura MDX, and I never encounter that much of a disparity in price when going to the dealer.

Just a rant...
Old 04-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,592 Likes on 3,437 Posts
You don't have to go to a car dealership in order to get a Wheel Alignment. In fact, it's easily argued that the only thing you should go to a car dealership for is warranty work.

I understand the rant. But there's a lesson here, too.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
There is no "standard" pricing among dealerships. Your cost will vary. Shop around if you feel a need to get alignment at a dealership. Or choose the one you prefer and if they aren't the lowest tel them that dealership B charges less and they'll very likely match it.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Realpatmurphy

I get my oil changed at my dealership at, that's it. They send out monthly $9.99 coupons so its really cheap! (plus a free wash and multi-point inspection)
Old 04-03-2012, 11:01 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You don't have to go to a car dealership in order to get a Wheel Alignment. In fact, it's easily argued that the only thing you should go to a car dealership for is warranty work.

+1
The only reason I take a car back to a dealership is warranty work or a free oil change. Mine came with the first 2 oil changes for free, so I went back for that.
Tom
Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
just go to a tire shop and get it done for like $90
Old 04-03-2012, 12:45 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I'd stay away from shops that still use the old RF heads. They are not very accurate and the readings tend to fluctuate.

The new technology makes use of infrared prism heads which require minimal compensation to get proper readings.

Of course, all this is a moot point if the tech working on the car is a tool.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:49 PM
WestCoastG37S

If you plan on keeping your G for a while, Firestone has a lifetime 4-wheel alignment for ~$130 - it's a deal.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:33 PM
pdpMIATA

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Realpatmurphy
I get my oil changed at my dealership at, that's it. They send out monthly $9.99 coupons so its really cheap! (plus a free wash and multi-point inspection)
The coupons always sound like a great deal imo..but then again they use dino at the dealership i go to if you try to validate it.
Also, I personally would never allow them to wash my car. Just the idea that a few sponges have washed say...20+ cars in one day and then to be used on my car? You're asking for spider marks. shrugs.

Back to the real topic: my dealership charged me $100 last time for an alignment. Never again.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:19 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
just an fyi: firestone has a lifetime warranty alignment program. pay the initial amount (~150) and all/any alignments needed on your car post-purchase, are free. that's what i do (make sure you find one shop that you like and go to that one consistently). i let them do the alignment with the volks on the car...
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 PM
G37X-Mars
Registered Member

just got my alignment done today for 70 at navies tire shop
Old 04-04-2012, 12:27 AM
cy7878

If your tires wear evenly and you didn't hit a curb or dip and has not has suspension work done, why bother?

The times I got an alignment and read the specs for before and after, I always regret getting the alignment because they weren't that off in the first place.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 AM
dvader

Originally Posted by Rochester

Agree with you there. But the reason for going to a dealership for service is that they should know your car completely, as they would only work on one marque (in this case, Infiniti). Also, I do get perks like loaner cars when I bring it in for service/warranty work.

If I choose to go to the dealer for service BECAUSE of the perks like a free loaner car, then I would have to pay extra over a tire shop. And I understand that completely. But it really is just the difference in cost from dealer to dealer that is surprising.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:01 AM
dvader

Originally Posted by Black Betty
There is no "standard" pricing among dealerships. Your cost will vary. Shop around if you feel a need to get alignment at a dealership. Or choose the one you prefer and if they aren't the lowest tel them that dealership B charges less and they'll very likely match it.

Tried that with the most expensive shop, since it is closest to work. They didn't care about the other dealer's price. Understandable on their part, but it just means they don't get my business.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:03 AM
dvader

Originally Posted by cy7878
If your tires wear evenly and you didn't hit a curb or dip and has not has suspension work done, why bother?

The times I got an alignment and read the specs for before and after, I always regret getting the alignment because they weren't that off in the first place.
I just got new tires and noticed the car wanders a bit to the left on even pavement. So I'd like to get it checked out sooner than later.

Quick Reply: Service Costs at Infiniti Dealerships