Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dashboard Melting and Sticky on 2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:55 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
So I realize this is for a different car, but my 2003 Lexus IS300 had the "melting dash" syndrome too. Its caused by the type of paint coating used in those cars. Areas where heat and humidity exist will cause the dash to eventually melt and get all over the fabric and interior of the car.

Only fix was to take out the dash, use carb and brake cleaner to strip it all off, prime it and then paint it with duplicolor vinyl spray paint. Needless to say, it came out awesome! That spray is great stuff.

Here's some pictures of my adventure I took on over 2 years ago. Also, it took about 2 hours to fully remove the dash and 1.5 hours to put it back. Honestly its a simple process (take off bolt here, pull out clip there,...) but keeping track of things is the hardest part.
Attached Thumbnails Dashboard Melting and Sticky on 2008-lexus-dash2-before.jpg   Dashboard Melting and Sticky on 2008-lexus-dash3.jpg   Dashboard Melting and Sticky on 2008-lexus-dash2.jpg  
Old 01-21-2015, 12:19 AM
sfdhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dashboard is sticky also, found it odd but not much I could do about it.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:10 PM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

Any updates? Any more people have problems?

My dealer is looking into this problem. Haven't heard back yet. it's getting pretty bad and the windshield constantly has a film on it. There's a few spots on the dash that really make it hard to drive.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:10 AM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

Dealer says they won't do anything about it. Says I can get a new one for $2000. I've contacted the lawyers who are handling the class action.

Melting Sticky Dashboard Class Action Lawsuits

Anyone else start having dash problems?
Old 07-07-2015, 01:23 PM
Mirakle

So, this is caused by leaving it in the sun without a cover?
Old 07-14-2015, 04:52 AM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow.. been a while since I came on here, but realized the problems I had with my dash is not that uncommon. For people saying not to leave unshaded and so on, I can tell you it has nothing to do with your car shaded or not, my car is always garaged almost never came out during the day (I guarantee its less than you guys, I mostly drive it at night) but I still have this issue. Worse of all, besides the melting dash around the A/C mine already cracked all the way from the left to the right. I will post some pics if I am not lazy. I thought its because of the heat in my country, but after reading all these posts... I think the issue is with Nissan/Infiniti. I think the only way to fix mine is to change the whole new dashboard. Don't know how much that will cost... man.....
Old 07-15-2015, 01:42 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Wiping down with water is fine, but not applying a UV protectant afterwards is not fine.

Aerospace 303 is plenty enough to prevent this.
I agree with Chilibowl. 303 protectant is loved by the boating community. Boats are constantly out in the elements especially during the heat of the day.

I have a friend with a boat and he swears his 10-yr old seats look brand new b/c of 303 Protectant.

Its available on Amazon and doesn't leave a glossy shine on the dash. Great product!
Old 07-15-2015, 05:17 PM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by petemo94

I have a friend with a boat and he swears his 10-yr old seats look brand new b/c of 303 Protectant.
I use it on my '08 Baja religiously and I constantly get asked how I maintain my boat/upholstery so well (must involve lots of hours, right?). The stuff stands the test of time, and I even apply it to life preserver materials and any other materials seeing lots of UV/sun.

You can always find bottles of it at Marina/Boat supply stores as well. It's nice that it's picked up more visibility among other communities as it's easier to find now than it was 7-8 years ago.

I of course use it on my G's dash every 2-3 months. I like that it leaves little to no sheen.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:27 PM
properdropper

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
303 protectant sounds awfully good, too bad the dashboard and everything is already cracked and melted would have been nice to know that a few months back lol if anything infiniti should pay US for their product messing up on us. my 40K car has a melting dashboard... thats emberassing if anything smh.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:10 AM
the1percent

Add me to the sticky melting dash problem group. 2009 G37S. Infiniti says out of warranty so it's my repair to pay for. I've contacted the lawyer for the class action lawsuit. I gave Infiniti ample opportunities. I'm disgusted as everyone else that a $40,000 car has a dash that is doing something much older cars have never had an issue with. Very upset.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:48 AM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

I've contacted the lawyer and they sent me a sheet with questions to answer. Waiting to hear back from them.

Since my original post, the dash has melted more, it's starting to crack near the center column and edges by the doors. Looks more like someone sliced it with a knife than cracks. My front windshield is full of glue from the fumes.

At some times of the day it's pretty hard to see out of the window while driving.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:08 AM
astat4

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the same problem. Best thing to do is just not touch it. Better gooey then cracking lol
Old 02-24-2016, 07:04 PM
rctstdroid1
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
here my DIY by my self https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...rior-dash.html
Old 01-30-2017, 10:09 AM
kimster500

I don't mean to bring this back up, but I'm having this problem as well. And it's pretty bad.. there's a film that reflects onto the front windshield giving me a difficult time to drive at some times.

Any word on the lawsuit? I would love to get this fixed, but not want to pay $2000 to fix the dash on a luxury car that shouldn't even be melting in the first place.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 AM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

I think the class action is dead in the water. The lawyer at gibbs won't return emails or calls anymore. They made me sign an agreement that I wouldn't sell the car until something was determined.

Mine is getting worse and it's really hard to drive in at certain times of day. I was thinking about contacting DOT directly to stir something up.

Doug

Quick Reply: Dashboard Melting and Sticky on 2008