Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dashboard Melting and Sticky on 2008

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 12:09 AM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
i just got my car back. damn today was a good day.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (11-01-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 09:22 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
i have an 08 coupe. its at the dealer now. i was only able to get this done only because couple years ago the dealer bricked the ecm while programming my key so they replaced the ecm. only till recently i realized my cruise control wasnt working and turns out they installed the wrong ecm. so present day i provided my own ecm i bought from ebay which they offered to cover the cost bc the ecm from factory is no long available but instead i asked if the cost of new ecm can go towards a new dash instead. and they said ok they will see what they can do i just have to be patient while they work things out. and it turns out they are going to cover new dash and install which im so happy about lol. i dont know the details from the dealers end but its pretty cool. im happy hopefully get the car back tomorrow or day after.
wow thats really great of the deal to own up to the ECM issue and to take care of the dash it s sad but it really sound like the dealer working with a customer like that for a positive outcome is the rare exception and not the norm...or maybe people don't post on the internet enough about positive experiences lol, either way glad you got it sorted out!
Old 01-01-2019, 11:11 PM
s7mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bjondi07
Hey all, I'm a new G37s Convertible owner as well as a fresh out of law school lawyer. The car that I just bought also has the same cracked dash issue. I actually initially thought that the previous owner did not maintain the car very well and was very upset with the dealership for not disclosing the cracks before I flew down to South Florida to buy the car (it otherwise looked great in pictures and has low miles/clean title/nice color combo). I did some quick google research while at the dealership and realized that it is a common problem with the dash and was buying a car in otherwise great condition with no mechanical issues at all for a bargain at 4k less than what the market was for the same vehicle, so I still bought the car (I love it other than this dash issue).

This sounds like it is an issue worthy of a class action and recall status. I noticed that the class action mentioned above was for Nissan Altimas, and a settlement was already reached. In order to get a new class action started for g37 models, we would need a lead class participant as well as Diversity Jurisdiction and Subject Matter Jurisdiction (these are federal civil procedure legal terms in order to file the class action federally). A class action needs to be approved by the courts, and it would be extremely helpful if anyone knows if the melted dash actually releases harmful chemicals, because that would be a very big sticking point (pun intended) to get a class action approved! There are some other requirements for starting a class action, so it may be useful for someone to create a site where G owners can submit details about their car (pictures, when the cracks started to appear, miles on the car, details about what Infiniti has said, etc.). I would be willing to create a form that people can fill out so that the information collected has the information all uniform and all relevant issues for a proper class action are addressed up front. Contrary to what many may believe, all you need for a class action to get started is an actual class and a common issue that is not specific to one class member, you can even have a small class of 100 members, it does not have to be big in order for a suit to be approved, just big enough for the court to say yes.
I'm in for a class action lawsuit. Where do we sign up? 2005 G35 77,777 miles, always garaged and only cleaned with soap and water.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 PM
Brett336

I have a completely stock 2008 G37S Coupe with no dash issues at all. Granted, I live in Portland, OR and have 68K mims and keep it garaged - is it possible that some G37 owners will never see this issue?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:17 PM
s7mo

Originally Posted by Brett336
I have a completely stock 2008 G37S Coupe with no dash issues at all. Granted, I live in Portland, OR and have 68K mims and keep it garaged - is it possible that some G37 owners will never see this issue?
Mine was fine until last year.l, 2005. what happened last year was I had to park outside in the California sun a few days a week. prior to that it was always garaged and parked out of the sun. I think it's a matter of time (rubber decomposition) and sun exposure.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:22 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by s7mo
I think it's a matter of time (rubber decomposition) and sun exposure.
The issue has more to do with a parts supplier/manufacturer- in this case Calsonic Kansei- using cheap and substandard materials and manufacturing practices. Just about every interior aesthetic complaint I have about my '08 Coupe (peeling trim, flickering/dead LED's, and now the sticky dash) all have one thing in common: Calsonic Kansei.

For comparison, my old '91 Buick, '94 Civic, '99 Ranger truck, and my '04 RSX have or had ZERO dashboard issues like the G's are now experiencing and have never seen the inside of a garage. Neither has my G for that matter.

Just my 10 cents.....

6/14/2019: add to the Calsonic Kansei crap list: flickering gauge cluster LED's. What garbage this company must be...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 06-14-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:17 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Is Calsonic/Kansei supplier for Lexus? Because they have this problem also.

We have some similar material at work, used as bumpers for folding LCD screens. Had them since early 2000's. One day, for no reason, all of the bumpers turned to a gooey, sticky substance.

I feel like this issue may be a certain chemical used in manufacture of dashes that the industry decided to replace, because Nissan/Infiniti is not the only manufacturer with this problem, and they all seem to be of a similar generation.

Why the hell can't any of the manufacturers just be honest about it and tell us what happened that caused this? I am certain they know.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:57 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
If swapping in a new(used) dash, what years are sought after that don't have this issue (if any)?
Old 01-06-2019, 03:22 AM
D2THADUB
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sticky dash and lots of cracking around a/c vents

I would so love for Infiniti to either issue a recall or at least offer some assistance my 2008 has sticky dash and cracking and it only has 34k miles on it

Old 01-06-2019, 12:45 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Love the carbon fiber, hate the cracks lol! That's much worse than my '08 man that sucks. And holy hell 34k miles, I'm at 121k.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:39 PM
TuckerE36
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by D2THADUB
I would so love for Infiniti to either issue a recall or at least offer some assistance my 2008 has sticky dash and cracking and it only has 34k miles on it
My 08 has 34k miles currently and my dash was perfect up until 3 week ago, it randomly started to become sticky in a few areas. No cracks yet, car is kept immensely clean and always garaged at home and at work. If the stickiness continues to worsen I'll just buy a new or excellent condition used dash. Just sucks...
Old 06-07-2020, 01:02 PM
G37Paul
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2010 G37 with 34k miles on it and garage kept now has a shiny sticky dash problem. It's only exposed to the sun when driving it or cleaning it and by the mileage, that hasn't been much. I only clean the dash with soap and water which temporarily removes the shiny / stickiness, but it will come back quickly in the sun. The problem doesn't stop with the 2009 model year either. Check the NHTSA! I have reported mine, but I pretty sure Nissan / Infiniti which is on the verge of bankruptcy will do nothing except quote me a an outrageous price. If there is ever a new class action lawsuit, I'm in. At a minimum, just report the issue to the NHTSA.

Last edited by G37Paul; 06-07-2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:03 AM
Ilia Cazac
Registered Member

$20 fix sticky dashboard on infinity

Originally Posted by gimmeshelter67
My dash just started doing this. It's got something sticky on it that can't be cleaned with a wet rag. I always just clean it with wet rag as dealer suggested.

The melting/sticky is worse near the window and defroster vents.

I did a search a found a few posts but no solutions.

Anyone else have this problem? I"ll post a picture tommorrow if I can get one shot.

I haven't contacted the dealer yet.

doug
I found one way how to make stick dash look new and not sticky watch my video I made here is the link
Old 07-19-2021, 09:33 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is not a fix. This is just a bandaid, temporary remedy, it will come back and over time like viruses it will develop immunity to these wipes.
We're in 2021, many folks have been dealing with this issue, the reason why you see decent results is because the dash posted in the video is in comparison to many in great shape.
There is NOTHING you can do to prevent this, low mileage garage kept vehicle owners will tell you.
The following 2 users liked this post by BULL:
Detail (07-21-2021), takemorepills (07-22-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 03:26 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
Since someone brought it up, what if (assuming your dash is good condition still and you want to keep it that way) you just blasted that thing with like 3 coats of 2k clear coat? I’d bet money that would stop it. Just a thought…

Quick Reply: Dashboard Melting and Sticky on 2008