G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dashboard Melting and Sticky on 2008

Old 09-11-2018, 03:29 PM
dmg6768
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, I decided to circumvent Infiniti and purchased a dash from a 2013 that was salvaged. Dash was in perfect condition and I only paid 300 bucks.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:10 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by dmg6768
Well, I decided to circumvent Infiniti and purchased a dash from a 2013 that was salvaged. Dash was in perfect condition and I only paid 300 bucks.
Make sure you document every screw and clip when you take off your dash so the rest of us can benefit from your work

Best of luck with this task. I did it on a Lexus IS300. Just be patient and its really not that hard.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:11 PM
dmg6768
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by petemo94
Make sure you document every screw and clip when you take off your dash so the rest of us can benefit from your work

Best of luck with this task. I did it on a Lexus IS300. Just be patient and its really not that hard.
I'm not too concerned with it. I've already taken the instrument cluster out once to re solder the warning chime and swap out the orange display lcd for the white one. That removal and installation took about two hours. I expect this to take a weekend with significant breaks.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:48 PM
Bjondi07

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey all, I'm a new G37s Convertible owner as well as a fresh out of law school lawyer. The car that I just bought also has the same cracked dash issue. I actually initially thought that the previous owner did not maintain the car very well and was very upset with the dealership for not disclosing the cracks before I flew down to South Florida to buy the car (it otherwise looked great in pictures and has low miles/clean title/nice color combo). I did some quick google research while at the dealership and realized that it is a common problem with the dash and was buying a car in otherwise great condition with no mechanical issues at all for a bargain at 4k less than what the market was for the same vehicle, so I still bought the car (I love it other than this dash issue).

This sounds like it is an issue worthy of a class action and recall status. I noticed that the class action mentioned above was for Nissan Altimas, and a settlement was already reached. In order to get a new class action started for g37 models, we would need a lead class participant as well as Diversity Jurisdiction and Subject Matter Jurisdiction (these are federal civil procedure legal terms in order to file the class action federally). A class action needs to be approved by the courts, and it would be extremely helpful if anyone knows if the melted dash actually releases harmful chemicals, because that would be a very big sticking point (pun intended) to get a class action approved! There are some other requirements for starting a class action, so it may be useful for someone to create a site where G owners can submit details about their car (pictures, when the cracks started to appear, miles on the car, details about what Infiniti has said, etc.). I would be willing to create a form that people can fill out so that the information collected has the information all uniform and all relevant issues for a proper class action are addressed up front. Contrary to what many may believe, all you need for a class action to get started is an actual class and a common issue that is not specific to one class member, you can even have a small class of 100 members, it does not have to be big in order for a suit to be approved, just big enough for the court to say yes.
The following users liked this post:
xxg00w0 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Eyeshield25

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I think that sounds like a lot more work than it's worth for the common folks on here because these cars are getting old now and some if not most people probably do not care about this issue as much as this thread makes it seem to be. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:16 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Bjondi07, if the dash issue bothers you, you shouldn't have bought the car, as it seems you realized it prior to taking delivery of it. I definitely wouldn't have accepted the issue on the assumption that you could whip up some class action on it.

I totally agree it's a defect, and it'd be nice to have Nissan/Infiniti do the right thing and take care of it. But too little, too late to get a class action going. Nissan should also fix hundreds of thousands of faulty exhaust manifold on their various vehicles that suffer from this widespread Nissan issue, but they don't.
On the flip side, Nissan and Infiniti resale value is pretty low, so even if you have to fix some occasional issue, the total value of the car is still excellent, because they are overall very reliable.
Every LS460 I was shopping against my Q60 exhibited some level of tackiness on the dash and/or door panel. It is so bad on those cars, especially the door panels. It is not certain that Lexus will fix it either, it is a case by case basis and many owners had to fix it themselves. At least Lexus fixed some cars, but not all.
Every G37/Q60 I looked at did NOT have sticky dash, but every LS460 did, and these cars I looked at would be same model years.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:49 PM
chuckie2000
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I own an 08. for years I thought my dash was sticky because my kid and his bud borrowed it, opened a coke that was shaken and it ruined the headliner so I thought some of it spilled onto the dash and ruined it as well. Never blamed them or got too upset, just a car, so I don't have to apologize. My solution was to buy the 2012 convertible. Didn't fix the sticky 08, still sticky as ever, but parked in the garage it doesn't bother me so much. First world problems.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:50 PM
chuckie2000
Registered Member

Um, I am in if you need to add to the class. Mine is sticky, but I see it as a characteristic of the car and it doesn't bother me so much. My Convertible G37 has a perfect dash, no sticky icky or cracks.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:52 PM
chuckie2000
Registered Member

"Common folk?" Um, common folk mostly are not in a class of folk that even own a G37 Coupe. Common folk more go for the Versa or Altima. In fact, worldwide, common folk can't afford cars and either walk, or use public transportation. Common folk.... geesh.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:30 PM
kidtronix
Build your own bandwagon.

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
As thedanplasse said. Lexus covered their decomposing dashboards and then some. They went as far as to replace door panels on my friend's IS250.

We could only hope that Infiniti/Nissan would go so far for customers but as we know, they ain't no Toyota powerhouse of profit.

Originally Posted by thedanplasse
Certain Lexus' had this issue. Lexus eventually recalled all the dashes, and replaced all of them

Most were just sticky, but some actually were melting, and cracking.

Not sure if Infiniti will eventually recall these (if they haven't already)
Old 10-26-2018, 09:37 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
yay getting my dash replaced mon for free. im so happy with my dealer. took some months for things to get approved by infiniti headquarter but i guess it all got approved somehow. hope all goes well!!
Old 10-26-2018, 10:55 PM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
yay getting my dash replaced mon for free. im so happy with my dealer. took some months for things to get approved by infiniti headquarter but i guess it all got approved somehow. hope all goes well!!
How did you pull this off? What year and model G do you own?
Old 10-29-2018, 08:36 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

i have an 08 coupe. its at the dealer now. i was only able to get this done only because couple years ago the dealer bricked the ecm while programming my key so they replaced the ecm. only till recently i realized my cruise control wasnt working and turns out they installed the wrong ecm. so present day i provided my own ecm i bought from ebay which they offered to cover the cost bc the ecm from factory is no long available but instead i asked if the cost of new ecm can go towards a new dash instead. and they said ok they will see what they can do i just have to be patient while they work things out. and it turns out they are going to cover new dash and install which im so happy about lol. i dont know the details from the dealers end but its pretty cool. im happy hopefully get the car back tomorrow or day after.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:49 PM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
i have an 08 coupe. its at the dealer now. i was only able to get this done only because couple years ago the dealer bricked the ecm while programming my key so they replaced the ecm. only till recently i realized my cruise control wasnt working and turns out they installed the wrong ecm. so present day i provided my own ecm i bought from ebay which they offered to cover the cost bc the ecm from factory is no long available but instead i asked if the cost of new ecm can go towards a new dash instead. and they said ok they will see what they can do i just have to be patient while they work things out. and it turns out they are going to cover new dash and install which im so happy about lol. i dont know the details from the dealers end but its pretty cool. im happy hopefully get the car back tomorrow or day after.
That’s awesome! I mean not that they fried the ECM and installed the incorrect one, but that they are owning up to things to make you happy. You don’t hear stories like that often. Customer service is a rare commodity. I just hope that Infiniti does something right by all of those who have the dashboard issues.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:20 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

i believe for the labor the quote was $300-400. im not sure if thats a good deal or not but maybe if you guys buy used dashes, which is all over ebay for only about $200, thats not too bad of a deal..i think

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dashboard Melting and Sticky on 2008