Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dashboard Melting and Sticky on 2008

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:44 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Syria
I live in decent weather in San Diego, so I do not seem to have that problem due tothe fact that the temperature rarely goes above 90 degrees. I would recommend garaging your car or parking it in a place of shade such as under a tree if you can.
Don't kid yourself; UV rays can do just as much damage to plastics as heat...
Old 10-05-2014, 05:56 PM
hurley61291

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my 08 G37 coupe. Got it with 19 miles on it back in 2008. But after having it in FL for 5 years, I have run into the same exact issue. It's got to the point that I can't even see out of the right 50% of my dashboard because of the glare.

Infiniti says they are "looking into it" but cannot help us for undisclosed reasons.

For all of you that have this issue too, go to the website below. It's a law firm that's starting a class action law suit against Nissan for these issues. The more people we have, the better chance we can get to have them fix all of ours for free. I've contacted them already but to make this more well known, we all need to give them our input.

Girard Gibbs LLP | Melting Dashboard Lawsuit

Let's stop this issue from ever happening again.
The following users liked this post:
jlac13 (10-10-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 09:05 PM
ExpoG37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in south west florida and have 10 blk on blk S coupe I had my dash replaced under warranty along with the center console and some other soft plastic trim parts for the same melting reason!

Last year I bought an 08 drove off the lot the next day realized it was also melting, took the car back to thedealership I bought it from and told them I no longer wanted the vehicle, after two days of legal bull they gave my tradein back .

Infiniti has a defective product and they need to owe up to it! I'm greatful they replaced mine but it not fair for the ones out of warranty (including me now) to be left with car 40k that's melting away.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:23 AM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
What I've done to reduce the problem is cover the windshield, on the outside, with a trimmed down space blanket. You can buy these at REI or some other outdoor recreation site and even on-line. It's a little over $15 and it will easily cover the biggest windshield out there. One side of the plastic mylar has a bright silver reflected surface and the other side might be red in color. I trim it at the bottom so that it fits from the top of the windshield to just under the hood which also covers the windshield wipers. The excess past the side of the windshield is placed inside the car door which will hold it tightly on the windshield once the doors are closed. The biggest benefit over the in-car versions which pop open to cover most of the windshield on the inside is that it totally stops all UV light penetration through the front windshield. Thus nothing hits the dash itself. Also remember once UV light penetrates glass, it turns into infrared light which is where all the heat comes from which then help melt the dash material. Stop the UV light penetration through glass, you thus stop the heat build up inside a car. I also have all my other windows in the car tinted to reduce the heat build up and eventual fading of the rest of the cars interior. For around $15 and a little of your time to trim it to fit, you will reduce if not eliminate a very common problem with all cars which use these new plastic dash materials which look great but can't really stand the heat in the long run. My 23 year old NSX is proof that it works as the black dash still looks like new.

Al
Old 10-07-2014, 12:19 PM
OLPEMI

Same issue for me.. so last weekend I wrapped my dashboard with 3M vinyl. Now I am loving the look. It was my first time with wrap experience and I still have some mess up here and there but I am really happy how it turned out
Old 10-07-2014, 01:47 PM
OLPEMI

this is how it came out, i still have about 5 bubbles to deal with and some edges that needs some touch up
Attached Thumbnails Dashboard Melting and Sticky on 2008-img_0220.jpg  
Old 10-07-2014, 03:55 PM
TrustEd

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't noticed this on my dash but I've had the Lummar Air 80 (clear tint) installed on my windshield.
Lummar claims "Even though it is clear and almost invisible, LLumar AIR 80 window film still blocks more than 99% of harmful ultraviolet rays, which are the leading known cause of skin cancer and premature skin aging, and also causes fading and cracking of automotive interiors."

I live in Santa Clarita CA where temperatures can reach 110-115 in the summer and this definitely makes a difference in heat coming through the windshield.
In California it is illegal to have any kind of tint on your windshield and this tint is not 100% clear so you do it at your own risk.

For Car Owners | Film Benefits | LLumar Window Films -

Shop around because prices vary from place to place.

Find a dealer | LLumar Window Films -
Old 10-08-2014, 11:09 AM
ravenblack

I don't know if my dashboard is "melting" but the cowl around the instrument cluster is starting to come loose and unattached where it covers the brightness up and down buttons near the driver side A pillar. Instead of sitting flush over those buttons the cowl is pooched out and no longer attached to anything but just kind of floating in position.

Is this the same thing?
Old 10-10-2014, 02:29 PM
jlac13

Same issue...08 coupe with dashboard melting and cracking... This car should not have this happening to it so soon! It's embarrassing!
Old 10-20-2014, 08:19 PM
hurley61291

Originally Posted by hurley61291
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my 08 G37 coupe. Got it with 19 miles on it back in 2008. But after having it in FL for 5 years, I have run into the same exact issue. It's got to the point that I can't even see out of the right 50% of my dashboard because of the glare.

Infiniti says they are "looking into it" but cannot help us for undisclosed reasons.

For all of you that have this issue too, go to the website below. It's a law firm that's starting a class action law suit against Nissan for these issues. The more people we have, the better chance we can get to have them fix all of ours for free. I've contacted them already but to make this more well known, we all need to give them our input.

Girard Gibbs LLP | Melting Dashboard Lawsuit

Let's stop this issue from ever happening again.
Hey everyone, all of your tips at keeping our dash in tip top shape are much appreciated! But with this still effecting many of us on a daily basis, I wanted to let everyone know that the law firm above is going through with the litigation. They have already filed claims against Lexus, Toyota and Mazda in the last few weeks.

They are waiting for enough people with Infiniti's (particularly g37) to go ahead and file a complaint. This had been done for Fx 35 bubbled dashboards and the verdict was that all fx 35s from a particular year range are all covered for warranty of up to 8 years for this one issue!

If some other people besides myself jump in, those of us included will be practically certain to get money for our repairs and even a total repair of this issue for free. For those who choose to not be involved, you may not be as happy with the outcome by not being apart of the class.

Please help your fellow g37 drivers fight for justice in an issue that is simply unacceptable.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:37 PM
DeeB223

I wished I would have found these posts yesterday. My dashboard has been sticky and shiny to where I can't see either. I had it detailed less than a year ago & figured that whatever cleaning solution they used is what caused the problem. I called Infiniti today after destroying my dash yesterday with friggin goo gone! DON'T USE GOO GONE people! I should have known better. I'm really not this dam stupid. But It took a friggin layer of material off of my dash & now I get to stare at the damage - more damage than the sticky **** & lint stuck to the dam thing. Infiniti pretty much says that I made the thing sticky b/c they use delicate microfiber rags when they clean inside of cars. I call BS on that but I can't tell you how much of a relief it is to see other people having the same problem. I'm still pissed but a little relieved.

Thank you hurley61291 for the lawsuit info. This is good news. I submitted my concerns to the lawyers.

In addition to contacting the law firm, we should file a safety complaint on the website: http://www.safercar.gov/. Filing mine right now.

Last edited by DeeB223; 12-19-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:53 PM
DeeB223

Originally Posted by OLPEMI
Same issue for me.. so last weekend I wrapped my dashboard with 3M vinyl. Now I am loving the look. It was my first time with wrap experience and I still have some mess up here and there but I am really happy how it turned out
OLPEMI - I love the 3M vinyl. I may need to do this to my dash since I caused more damage. I got questions.... how and where?

How did you do this and where did you get the 3M? Is it custom fit to the dash?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:13 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
this is how it came out, i still have about 5 bubbles to deal with and some edges that needs some touch up
That looks great!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:03 AM
steelblue

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I had the same issue, had to use Leather Teach to clean up the stickiness .. and applied a protectant.. no issues after that

is leather teach a product?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:14 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by steelblue
is leather teach a product?
Yes leather tech.. Sorry I misspelled it before... Although it appeared the issue was fixed after cleaning, the dash got sticky again later as a result of the melting issue... So guess I'll join the lawsuit

Quick Reply: Dashboard Melting and Sticky on 2008