G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2007 Civic Si possibly to a 2008 G37 Manual Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:50 PM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
If fuel efficiency is even remotely a concern, the G37 is the wrong place to be. This car drinks gas like a lush goes through vodka. That and increased insurance costs would likely be the worst of your concerns. I average about 16mpg as I have to do a lot of stop and go in the city. Rarely on the hwy unfortunately.

Outside of those two areas, owning this car is a breeze. They are very reliable, quite fun to drive and they look amazing even after so many years.

Think long and hard, and don't rush either way.

Oh, definitely test drive. The unusually high engagement point is sometimes a deal breaker for some people with this car. It isn't really that bad, but compared to a Honda, you will find the engagement point narrow, high, and less forgiving of errors than what you might be accustomed to in your car.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:31 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Sounds like someone is way to young to buy this car or can not afford it! That being said keep the Honda! and get a 2014 Honde Coupe! I would not buy G37 08 because you are going to have all the issues that all the 2008 had!
Old 03-02-2013, 03:57 PM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by GTLAW
I would not buy G37 08 because you are going to have all the issues that all the 2008 had!
As far as I've read, the only "issues" 08 G37 has vs the rest of the years is an exhaust hanger and noise problem that is covered under factory warranty and is probably resolved in most cars on the road. Care to share what other issues are present on 08 G37 vs other years? I've done a good bit of research and not found anything outside of that.

Also, I give the OP kudos for thinking about different facets of owning this car and asking real owners for their opinions on the matter. If anything, it shows more maturity and tact than rushing out and buying the car without thinking twice. It says little to nothing about his financial status by asking prudent questions of owners about true costs to own other than he is thinking in a reasonable manner.

I could imagine some people that are quite wealthy that would consider the kind of fuel efficiency these cars have to be a complete deal breaker as they might label it wasteful. In some cases, it isn't about whether or not you can afford the car and the expenses involved. Sometimes, it is just about whether you feel it is worth it to pay. Remember, not all wealthy people drive high end cars. I personally can point to some friends of mine that are wealthy and drive low end cars and some friends that are not wealthy that drive high end.
The following users liked this post:
stealthcivic (04-15-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Supremee
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^ Couldnt of said it better.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 AM
stealthcivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sprix
As far as I've read, the only "issues" 08 G37 has vs the rest of the years is an exhaust hanger and noise problem that is covered under factory warranty and is probably resolved in most cars on the road. Care to share what other issues are present on 08 G37 vs other years? I've done a good bit of research and not found anything outside of that.

Also, I give the OP kudos for thinking about different facets of owning this car and asking real owners for their opinions on the matter. If anything, it shows more maturity and tact than rushing out and buying the car without thinking twice. It says little to nothing about his financial status by asking prudent questions of owners about true costs to own other than he is thinking in a reasonable manner.

I could imagine some people that are quite wealthy that would consider the kind of fuel efficiency these cars have to be a complete deal breaker as they might label it wasteful. In some cases, it isn't about whether or not you can afford the car and the expenses involved. Sometimes, it is just about whether you feel it is worth it to pay. Remember, not all wealthy people drive high end cars. I personally can point to some friends of mine that are wealthy and drive low end cars and some friends that are not wealthy that drive high end.

Have to say thank you to Sprix and Supremee! Words of Wisdom exactly! My parents had money, but did not show it or flash it around. They could have had any vehicle, but drove Honda Crv's and Isuzu Troopers back in the day.
On the topic, I have the money to buy the used G with Cash. But, the type of consumer I am I am concerned about gas, and not Pi**ing money into the wind. I love a fast, fun car, but am trying find a balance (if one exists beside the Honda Civic Si) that might balance economy with luxury, speed/handling, enjoyable driving. I told you all I was just around 40 years old still driving the Honda Civic Si, but I have a young heart and lifestyle. I have to give kudos to the g37 crowd for the positive and wise replies for the most part. I already have a family car (2010 honda Crv EX), so I want to get another coupe, when I do get another vehicle. I still have the option to buy that used 2008 G coupe, and thanks for the info on the 2008, or wait until the Q comes out, and prices drop further on the g37.
Regards,
Stealthcivic
Old 03-04-2013, 04:50 PM
stealthcivic

Originally Posted by Yan141
I came from 8thcivic to g37x sedan 2009. I got sedan because I have two kids though. But anyway good luck which ever you decide
This means a lot to me somebody that came from 8th gen, I have had my Si for 7 years! But, I am leaning toward getting the G Coupe now, after really thinking about it. Overall, I think it is the best option for me. I can change the oil myself, and I will not mod the car much at all. I modded my Si a lot, but I will be satisfied with the engine/stock G as it comes (I hope!).
Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Maxime1979

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Buddy! I have a civic 2008 SI AND a 2008 g37 sport. It's all about how you drive. If you are a rough driver that always wanna break the sound barrier... then i would say that it will cost you more in gas the infiniti. But if you drive around cruising you'll put a bit more gas in the G but it worth it! Check if the G is still under warranty. Parts will cost a bit more on the G but you can find good prices on lots of websites. Give me some news... I like both of them but my summer car is awesome (G).
Old 03-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Maxime1979

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh! and insurrance will cost less on a G because its not really a top stolen vehicule. Im paying 1300$ a year for my civic and i am paying 675$ a year for the G. If this can help you out.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 PM
stealthcivic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Maxime1979
Oh! and insurrance will cost less on a G because its not really a top stolen vehicule. Im paying 1300$ a year for my civic and i am paying 675$ a year for the G. If this can help you out.
Thanks much Maxime!!
I value your words man, as you own the Si and the G. Well, I am really split. I do "get on it" in my Si, and like to drive it fast up ramps and around curves. I am afraid I would gun the G any chance I get. Of course, I live in the city so I will be 80 % city / 20 Highway% in my City. I test drove the G Sport and loved it. The short shifter was just like my Si , and the owner said I drive it like I have owned it. I love 6 speeds. So, I think I could transfer over to the G easily, I just worry about gas and the parts when I need them, so thanks again for your tips and advice man. Thanks too, for the tip on the insurance.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Purpul

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I also came from a '07 Si.Mine was turboed and I ended up loosing it in a really bad accident 2years ago.Even with intakes,exhaust and test pipes,my G37 might not be as fast as my civic was but I still love my G.Low end torque,getting 23mpgs,confortability,luxury,perfomance,the list goes on and on
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 AM
stealthcivic

Originally Posted by Purpul
I also came from a '07 Si.Mine was turboed and I ended up loosing it in a really bad accident 2years ago.Even with intakes,exhaust and test pipes,my G37 might not be as fast as my civic was but I still love my G.Low end torque,getting 23mpgs,confortability,luxury,perfomance,the list goes on and on
Ah, Purpul another Si owner to a G, thanks man. I have cold air, race header, hondata flashpro tuned Si running great, so I look forward to the G after hearing what you said. I also think I could beat a G because of the weight of it, but I also love all the things you said, low end torque, luxury, comfort, and I hope for 23 mpg!