Newbie with flipper trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 12:18 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Look on ebay. Lots of convertible parts from junked cars on there.

If you can get that plastic gear removed, maybe have it 3d printed.

Q: are those two different parts you're showing? Looks like it to me.

Last edited by teahead; 03-06-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:13 AM
andresg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teahead
Look on ebay. Lots of convertible parts from junked cars on there.

If you can get that plastic gear removed, maybe have it 3d printed.

Q: are those two different parts you're showing? Looks like it to me.
I have but have not found exactly what I need. Plus even the parts on ebay are on the expensive side for the damage. I'm going to give the repair a shot before I buy any replacement parts. Yes, both have different part #'s as one is LH and the other RH.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:47 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Interesting that the LH and RH versions look so different. Wonder why that is.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:21 PM
Fins160
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by andresg37
I have but have not found exactly what I need. Plus even the parts on ebay are on the expensive side for the damage. I'm going to give the repair a shot before I buy any replacement parts. Yes, both have different part #'s as one is LH and the other RH.
This is very interesting, I was wondering was different between the old and new part numbers. My repair only worked temporarily, so I ended up buying a new flipper assembly 79912JJ50B from Infinitipartsdeal.com: https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/parts/infiniti-fin-asmy-rr-psh~79912-jj50a.html?Make=Infiniti&Model=G37&Year=2010&Submo del=Convertible&Filter=()

This is the newer version. Externally it looks exactly the same, and I expect that Infiniti changed the design on later models due to the gear failure I showed in my posts. The one that andresg37 shows must be sturdier where the gears mate, but obviously not strong enough with the plastic of the external gear.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:13 PM
teahead
Registered Member

$1k! Wow!

Uggh...not cool.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:22 PM
Texnician

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got my Vert back.

I just finished installing the right flipper ($900 bucks) on my 2011 Vert. Wasn't the easiest thing but doable. Good thing I have a DC power supply. It allowed me to slowly move the flipper. The new one came in top up position which is how I've been driving it ever since it broke last year. But I didn't want to try moving it out of fear that it might get stuck in transit creating a bigger problem. This meant pulling the right side of the trim back to the left (the left side can't be removed in top up position) and holding it in place with a bungee while I replaced the item. I could drive the flipper on the new assembly to about half way to allow access for installation and then place the trim back in place and drive the flipper back into the top up position. With the trim still loose I could then remove my power leads and reconnect the system connector followed by re-securing the trim.

Replacing the assembly didn't require moving any cabling. I had access to all the torx bolts. The recessed one was a PITA as mentioned but I didn't have to remove it. Just back it off to where it was free from the trunk, it still wants to thread out threw the washer but by loosening the torx bolts that attach the hinge to the trunk (mark the trunk around the hinge to make realigning easier) and wedging in a screwdriver to hold it I created enough room to slide the assembly out from under the bolt. Getting it all back in place was a bit unnerving but it came together.

I then opened and closed the trunk to verify everything there was in order and then gave the top a whirl. Down she went for the first time in a long time. Up/down and all is good... at least until the next malfunction. I do wish Infiniti hadn't discontinued the Vert. I love this car and don't like the look or cost of the competition. I don't usually drive new cars to the grave but it looks like it's going to happen here. The value isn't worth giving it away.
The following users liked this post:
pol (02-21-2021)
Old 06-28-2019, 06:45 PM
ddny

Passenger-side Flipper failure

2011 Sport Conv. Passenger side flipper failed while I was opening on the side of the highway. (was just ... flapping in the breeze, where the other one was tucked tight into the trunklid).
taped it up and faked out the vane switch that told the computer that it was tucked, which at least let me drive it home (closed). Whew! $300+ tow saved.

Turns out the part was $1200 + labor, which just so happened to be covered by the overpriced extended (Infiniti) warranty.
That's probably the only time I got my money back from those things, but kudos to Infiniti that they honored it, I didn't even know it was still in effect.

Now I'm torn whether to sell it or find the manuals so I can do the maintenance and repairs myself.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:47 PM
ddny

Originally Posted by Texnician
I just finished installing the right flipper ($900 bucks) on my 2011 Vert. Wasn't the easiest thing but doable. Good thing I have a DC power supply. It allowed me to slowly move the flipper. The new one came in top up position which is how I've been driving it ever since it broke last year. But I didn't want to try moving it out of fear that it might get stuck in transit creating a bigger problem. This meant pulling the right side of the trim back to the left (the left side can't be removed in top up position) and holding it in place with a bungee while I replaced the item. I could drive the flipper on the new assembly to about half way to allow access for installation and then place the trim back in place and drive the flipper back into the top up position. With the trim still loose I could then remove my power leads and reconnect the system connector followed by re-securing the trim.

Replacing the assembly didn't require moving any cabling. I had access to all the torx bolts. The recessed one was a PITA as mentioned but I didn't have to remove it. Just back it off to where it was free from the trunk, it still wants to thread out threw the washer but by loosening the torx bolts that attach the hinge to the trunk (mark the trunk around the hinge to make realigning easier) and wedging in a screwdriver to hold it I created enough room to slide the assembly out from under the bolt. Getting it all back in place was a bit unnerving but it came together.

I then opened and closed the trunk to verify everything there was in order and then gave the top a whirl. Down she went for the first time in a long time. Up/down and all is good... at least until the next malfunction. I do wish Infiniti hadn't discontinued the Vert. I love this car and don't like the look or cost of the competition. I don't usually drive new cars to the grave but it looks like it's going to happen here. The value isn't worth giving it away.
Kudos on getting that going. I also am torn about selling it or keeping it and becoming fluent in vert repairs :-)
Old 07-01-2019, 12:49 AM
Fins160
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ddny
Kudos on getting that going. I also am torn about selling it or keeping it and becoming fluent in vert repairs :-)
Glad to see more of you keeping these beauties going!

I did a quick search, and my 2010 vert is still selling for the same prices I bought mine at 2 years ago. There’s not another convertible this powerful or fun going for the value of these cars anywhere.

I have rich friends who spend way more on their cars who routinely drool over my G. They are worth the cost to keep em going.

Enjoy that summer breeze!
The following users liked this post:
Tshep815 (02-07-2023)
Old 11-17-2019, 01:34 PM
HouG37
Registered Member

worm gear machine shop?

anyone use a machine shop to make a replacement for the trunk flap worm gear?
Old 11-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Fins160
Registered Member

Originally Posted by HouG37
anyone use a machine shop to make a replacement for the trunk flap worm gear?
Yes, see this thread: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-con...ml#post4252410
Old 07-25-2020, 06:48 PM
rem1957
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Awesome thread, gentlemen. Lots of great information. I'm having the same flipper problem on my 2014 Q60, I'm wondering if any of you have kept the broken gears and no longer want them? Before I tear into my roof I'd like to create 3D CAD models and engineering drawings of the parts and have some printed or machined. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:20 PM
pol
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Got the gears from Guy!

I finally got the flipper gears from Guy! I marked them driver and passenger side because they have different teeth orientation. Below them are the old gears. Will post more pictures after I have replaced them.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:10 PM
Ednopoly
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Worm gears

Originally Posted by pol
I finally got the flipper gears from Guy! I marked them driver and passenger side because they have different teeth orientation. Below them are the old gears. Will post more pictures after I have replaced them.

hey where did you order those from i would like to get a pair for my g37 vert
Old 03-14-2021, 10:48 AM
pol
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-con...ml#post4274556

Quick Reply: Newbie with flipper trouble